Quantcast
Shipping tires by Greyhound? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Shipping tires by Greyhound?

Default Shipping tires by Greyhound?

I need to ship 4 tires (just tires, no rims) to Ontario.

I went to the UPS store and UPS wants 600 for them to go ground. THey also said I could ship them via Greyhound for $120 (total)

I don't know much about Greyhound, other than it's a bus and people get dismembered on it - is it actually a legit way to ship something, or do I have a high chance of theft/accidents/etc.... using it?

My Ride
    V8s

I know my cousin has sent luggage on a greyhound when he was going on a long motorcycle ride and couldn't carry everything he needed to the destination, seemed to work fine (mind you that was 6 yrs ago I believe).

Also, one of my friends had some wheels (with tires mounted) shipped by fedex from Calgary to Victoria, and I remember it being surprisingly cheap, however I don't recall the actual cost. Might be worth checking.

If UPS wanted 600 (Actually a bit more), I highly doubt Fedex would be closer to $100 than the %500-700 range....

My Ride
    V8s

Your probably right, but you never know. Might be worth the 5 min phone call. No doubt they will be more than greyhound, but they might be a fair bit less than UPS. Plus, I don't know what kind of insurance greyhound offers (if any) for stuff shipped with them, so the possibility of theft might weigh in on it for you. Personally, I would pay a bit of a premium to have piece of mind, especially because they're probably not cheap tires.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

I have shipped rims and rims/tires by Greyhound-they have the best price by far for shipping large bulky items. They price by total weight of the shipment, not by piece. As an example, four rims and tires from Ft. St. John to Calgary was like $65.
    Definitely would recommend you ship tires with them.

Shipped a pair of bucket seats in 2 boxes - each were taken apart (back support and bottom) to flatten them in each box. The cost from Calgary to Ontario was like about $70-80 - that was 5 years ago. The buyer got them alright - nothing went wrong.

So yeah, I'd use Greyhound express - well worth the cost IF you know how to pack real good!

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Greyhound for anything large within Canada is the way to go. Used them a dozen times in the past. Only had one problem and that was years ago, the bus carrying my package (fender), burnt to the ground. Because the seller made a crazy box to ship it out of wood and other materials my package survived, the box was pretty black though when I got it.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    B7 RS4

I just shipped some tires here from Toronto on Greyhound and it was $200 total including insurance. They classify tires as 'oversized' so even if the online quote is for $120 it turns out to be closer to $200 all said and done.

Still waaaay cheaper than UPS.

Delivery is 5-7 days.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My work uses Greyhound to ship stuff all the time. No problems with reliability.
    Also, I don't think he was technically dismembered, just decaptiated. Don't you need to lose a limb or two for it to count as dismemberment?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Whelp, I dropped them off so we'll see. I'll let you guys know if they arrived and how long it took.

My Ride
    See sig

I moved from Ottawa to here with Greyhound. 4 of those large rubbermaid bins from walmart, packed everything else that could fit in my car and came out here. Took roughly 5 days I believe.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

Btw, don't bother trying to track your shipment - with my (what I think is a tracking number from the waybill) tracking number I called to see what they'd say and the guy told me 'yea, sometime next week'. Wonderful tracking system - no expected arrival date at the terminal

Tires arrived yesterday.

6day delivery.

$500ish less than UPS ground.

I'd use Greyhound again - only downside is that they usually enter the tracking number/waybill into their system 3-4weeks AFTER the item arrives (staffing issues they claim) - so don't expect any tracking information