Quantcast
Battery acid on terminals...New battery - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Battery acid on terminals...New battery

My Ride
    93 integra

Default Battery acid on terminals...New battery

So my car would sometimes not start and the battery looked worse for wear so I did what most people would do and spent the money to get a new battery. Car always starts no problem now but my battery which is literally about 2 months old has so much white (what I assume is battery acid) build up on the terminals I don't know whats causing it.

Shouldn't a brand new battery not have all that residue building up?

Corrosion I'd imagine...
    Did you clean the terminal connectors thoroughly when you replaced the battery?

Either way, clean them as best you can. Corrosion spreads and, once you've gotten it, there's nothing you can do except keep it in check as far as I'm aware. You can try di-electric grease on the terminal connectors once they're clean to try and keep them dry and prevent shit from getting worse.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

To prevent on that corrosion, I installed BG Battery Protector Pads, no corrosion anymore for me

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

best way to get rid of that corrosion is to pour very hot or boiling water over the terminals, this will leave the battery clamps looking like new.

Once all the acid is gone then just spray on some paint, or use some vaseline/di-electric grease, or go to the store and buy some battery terminal protectant spray, finally get the anti corrosion pads, but yup peeps have already giving you great suggestions.

Just make sure that after you have a clean battery terminal, that there is nothing between the battery post and the clamp, it should be metal to metal contact, then you apply what ever anti corrosion product

My Ride

At the dealership I work at, the techs use some kinda BG spray that sprays out yellow foam first and once it comes into contact with the acid, turns pink and I guess neutralizes it and cleans it at the same time
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride

Originally posted by dj_rice
    At the dealership I work at, the techs use some kinda BG spray that sprays out yellow foam first and once it comes into contact with the acid, turns pink and I guess neutralizes it and cleans it at the same time
    I've used the WURTH Stuff before which is a pink foam spray that does what you mention.
    Really though some good ole hot water is best when the terminals are fuzzy from all the hydrochloric acid, it turns that powder back to acid aiding in the cleaning process.

My Ride
    93 integra

Thanks guys. Is it hard to change the terminal connectors?

Was just wondering.

My Ride

Originally posted by ekguy
    Thanks guys. Is it hard to change the terminal connectors?

Was just wondering.

If you are mechanically knowledgeable or can handle a wrench or 2, then I would say no, mostly unscrewing a screw and crimping the new connector in to the wire I would imagine if ur getting one of those beefy brass connectors

My Ride

Not hard at all, just make sure that when you do, there is no corrosion on the copper cable, and if there is, then its recommended that you change the cable to.

if its a long and expensive cable, then you can take some soldering flux paste apply it to the copper strands, then heat it up with a butane torch and tin the end with solder, you'll need the flux because it etches the copper surface and allows the solder to get under the corrosion, otherwise the solder won't adhere to the cable.

Best wishes man

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you want the zero dollar solution, use baking soda dissolved in water. It'll neutralize the acid. Then smear it with Vaseline or dielectric grease which will prevent future corrosion.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    93 integra

Originally posted by dj_rice

If you are mechanically knowledgeable or can handle a wrench or 2, then I would say no, mostly unscrewing a screw and crimping the new connector in to the wire I would imagine if ur getting one of those beefy brass connectors
    I'm not un-knowledgeable but I'm definitely not the best at doing much on cars. I can do the basics.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

the vaseline thing works good as said above, or some dow corning die electric as also said above works good.

then some of these

and it will take you all of 15 mins max to do, if there are any accessories or fuse box connectors attached, put them on bolts on the silver parts.

i use one of these after i had to split my positive wire during a swap, when i had time got a new heavy duty wire to the starter and its like oem.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    If you want the zero dollar solution, use baking soda dissolved in water. It'll neutralize the acid. Then smear it with Vaseline or dielectric grease which will prevent future corrosion.
    ...or just regular soda - like Pepsi or 7up.