Quantcast
Darkane's get strong as fuck log. 5/3/1 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkane's get strong as fuck log. 5/3/1

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Default Darkane's get strong as fuck log. 5/3/1

Doing the 5/3/1. Gonna log every single lift/rep I do. Gonna see how well this will work.

I'm actually quite weak for my size, I look a lot stronger. Seems I have better "bodybuilding" genetics than strength.

Current Maxes:

Deadlift: 150kg (#330) [I have to be extremely cautious when I deadlift because of my back. This max was made with double overhand grip and proper form. No grip and rip here]

Flat Bench: #235 [Narrow grip, Hands inside the rings. Fairly weak here, have not flat benched in over 1.5 years. Was focusing on dumbbell and some incline work, still only 20 pounds off my all time max and 24 pounds lighter in bodyweight]

Squat: #315 [18" box which is more than parallel for me. I don't know what happened here I'm good for at least 30-40 more pounds. My CNS was shit today. Oh well that's what it is, Got news of a death in the family yesterday which didn't help either.]

Military press: 70kg (#154) [Went up fairly slow, quite the grinder rep. Looking to bring this lift up quite a lot]

Assistance work is either going to be Boring but Big, or Bodyweight. Haven't decided yet. Any opinions?

Routine will run on a caloric deficit, at least until the end of December. Size gains should be kept to a minimum but strength should be decent.

Feel free to comment.
    Last edited by Darkane; 11-13-2009 at 06:17 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Tits or GTFO

Good luck though.

My Ride
    TL

why are you doing a double overhand grip for deadlift?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by dandia89
    Builds forearms/grip strength.

Good luck Darkane!

My Ride

Originally posted by dandia89
    What A790 said as well as a couple other reasons.

1) When I pull strong man mixed grip I tend to 'pull' the bar to the right with my overhand. This scraps my shin which is no big deal but more importantly sets the weight further away on my left side putting more pressure on my left S.I. joint.

2) Pulling double overhand will prevent all possible bicep tears or pulls. Mind you the weight I'm pulling isn't near enough, but what the hell. Also being symmetrical with the grip will allow in essence the same upper back stimuli as opposed to different firing patterns with a mixed grip.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    TL

Your strength will significantly decrease going double overhand. I would suggest only keeping it that grip when you are doing 3 or less reps. Even though the weight you are pulling isn't too much to concern yourself with a bicep tear, you should still be aware. If you pull properly without engaging your arms/biceps, then you don't have to worry too much about the bicep tear.

Bench press - your strength will go up just from the CNS side of things. If you haven't done the lift in 1.5 years, in the next 1-3 months this lift will go up.

With the military press, I hope you are going to be standing and not doing the sitting one. Keep your feet fairly close together for helping with the strong base. My one thing with this lift is to really fire your head forward once the bar clears, really helped me with the lockout.

As for the routines, I always went with Triumvate as the accessory work really helped me with my main lifts (ie: Kroc rows for DL lockout and grip strength 150#DB x 20-50 ). Also give you enough variety to change them up when you get bored with the exercise.

From a kcal deficit perspective, my bench and military press continued to climb up in numbers. The only ones that I had trouble with were DL and Squat. DL not so much on the 1RM, but my 405 x 10 went down to 405 x 6 was unable to get back into the pull. My squat 1RM was impacted greatly by my leverages and only now learning how to squat again. Mind you my widowmaker wasn't affected to much as I could still do it for 315 x 20.

Good luck, its a great routine. The worst thing you could do with this thing is overthink it.

My Ride
    TL

One last thing. Get a belt, Inzer lever belts are amazing and they will definitely help keep your back from getting injured again.

Originally posted by Oz-
    Kroc rows for DL lockout and grip strength 150#DB x 20-50
    Holy shit
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by lint

Holy shit
    I am on the low range of that and my grip strength is where I the DB not on the row part. But I was using that for an example on the range of reps for a Kroc row.

I started with 90# for the Kroc rows and just kept jumping up once I started hitting the 35 rep mark. Other thing I do is actually tell myself "Don't be a pussy" before each set of these.

Sorry Darkane...back to your journal.

Originally posted by Oz-
    One last thing. Get a belt, Inzer lever belts are amazing and they will definitely help keep your back from getting injured again.
    Ya these belts are the best in my opinion as well. If you don't have one and end up ordering one, do not order from Inzer themselves go to IronGladiators.Com, as Inzer's customer service/duty charges suck. (I did a group order with two belts and two suits and the shipping was only 15.)

I would definitely suggest getting a belt for the triples and singles 5/3/1 makes you do. If you are worried about not developing your core, just add more core assistance work/don't use a belt for the 5's if you are comfortable with the weight.

Good luck on your lifts.

My Ride

Originally posted by liquidboi69

Ya these belts are the best in my opinion as well. If you don't have one and end up ordering one, do not order from Inzer themselves go to IronGladiators.Com, as Inzer's customer service/duty charges suck. (I did a group order with two belts and two suits and the shipping was only 15.)

I would definitely suggest getting a belt for the triples and singles 5/3/1 makes you do. If you are worried about not developing your core, just add more core assistance work/don't use a belt for the 5's if you are comfortable with the weight.

Good luck on your lifts.
    I have an ATP 4" single prong belt. It's fantastic.

I use it usually during my last warm up set into my working sets.

http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/124792

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

Nov 16: Standing Press.

Warm up: (Will not always post warmup, just an Idea)
    -5 minutes around the track
    -IT band foam roll
    -Hamstring foamroll
    -Lowerback/S.I. joint foam roll
    -Upperback foamroll

-Cat/Camel back mobility drill
    -45 degree knee drop side/side back mobility drill

Lifting: (* Denotes really explosive zero troubles with the set)
    -Warm up Bar x10, 65x5, 75x5, 85x3 (All moving the bar as explosively as possible)
    -Work set 90x5*, 105x5*, 120x10. Hammered 10 reps on the last set.

Assistance work: (Boring, But Big)
    -Standing Press 70x10*, 10*, 10*, 10*, 10*.
    (Good explosive here. Rest times cut to 60 seconds for the anabolic hormones stimulation)

-BW chinups 5*,5,4,4,3. (Pretty good, used Fatbar for grip work. Forearm pump was amazing, full ROM on these.)

Cardio:
    -20 minutes brisk walk around the track after the weights.

Thoughts:

Great workout seeing how I went to bed at 7:30am and was up at 12:30pm. Love night shift lol. According to my excel spreadsheet the 10reps on the last set puts me at a 160 max. I chose the Boring, But Big assistance to help my nervous system learn the firing patterns of these big lifts again.

I won't grow from it with a caloric deficit, but my Nervous system can learn how to lift and recruit lots of motor units making me strong!
    Last edited by Darkane; 11-16-2009 at 07:13 PM.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

Nov 18th: Deadlift

Warm up: (Will not always post warmup, just an Idea)
    -Jump rope. 100 double leg, 15/15 singles, 100 double.
    -IT band foam roll
    -Hamstring/Quads foamroll
    -Lowerback/S.I. joint foam roll
    -Upperback foamroll

-Cat/Camel back mobility drill
    -45 degree knee drop side/side back mobility drill
    -Don Tigny's S.I. joint mobilization
    -Hip flexor stretch
    -Yoga Breathing push ups with waist on ground (not sure what it's called)
    -Yoga breathing squats BWx20

-Warm up Bar x10, 135x5, 155x5, 175x3 (All moving the bar as explosively as possible)
    -Work set 195x5*, 225x5*, 250x11. 11 reps - form started to break down. Had 1.5-2 reps in the tank which is where Wendler says to stop anyway. 4" Belt used. Reset on every Rep. This also puts my max according to the formula at 341.5lbs.

Assistance work: (Boring, But Big) No Belt used for these/Touch and go style.

-Deadlift 150x10*, 150*, 150*, 150*, 150*.
    (Good explosive here. Rest times cut to 60 seconds for the anabolic hormones stimulation)
    -DeadHang - 45seconds. Decompression of S.I./Lowerback.
    -Hanging Leg Raises: 6*, 6*, 6, 6, 6. Pretty good felt it in the core, also further decompressed me.

Cardio:
    -20 minutes brisk walk around the track after the weights. Did some calculating and I'm almost exactly at 4mph. That works out to 6km/hr. So every 20 minute session for me is 2km walked, and just for shits and giggles 1140 steps/km

Thoughts:

Good workout. Seems my nervous system is priming up which is good.

Stay Strong
    Last edited by Darkane; 11-18-2009 at 03:31 PM.

-H.P. Lovecraft

I did a dead lift routine this evening and I wish I would have read this before I set off.

So many good ideas for stretching and decompression, even just reading them I can tell they will make my sets and day after experience much better.

keep it up.

My Ride

Nov 19th: Bench Press

-Warm up Bar x10, 95x5, 115x5, 125x3 (All moving the bar as explosively as possible)
    -Work set 135x5*, 160x5*, 180x14. According to the Formula my bench max is 264. I adjusted form a little and felt much more stable. I don't believe that 264, mind you another 10 might have come on.

-Bench125x10*, 125*, 125*, 125*, 125*.
    -DB Row #75 x10*, 10*, 10*, 10, 10. (These were done the day after deadlift day. Back was a little sore but did them anyway. No altering the program.)
    -Felt like doing Biceps so I just did a set of 3 good chins. I was spent lol.

Cardio:

Thoughts:
    Had a Cheat meal last night, and a big one today. Lots of desserts and sandwiches and shit. Carbs made a nice help it seems.

Squats on Saturday!

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    TL

Nice work on the deads. Give the Kroc Rows a shot...1 or 2 sets for each and your bicep work is included in there. Just try the biggest DB in your gym and dial it back from there.

My Ride

Originally posted by Oz-
    Nice work on the deads. Give the Kroc Rows a shot...1 or 2 sets for each and your bicep work is included in there. Just try the biggest DB in your gym and dial it back from there.
    Kroc Row's don't involve the full ROM eh? It's more of an explosive movement rather then strength? I almost need a description on them.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by Darkane

Kroc Row's don't involve the full ROM eh? It's more of an explosive movement rather then strength? I almost need a description on them.
    Video of Matt Kroc doing them

Video of MMG (of RedPointFitness fame doing them)

A seminar video of him talking on Kroc Rows

My Ride

Nov 21: Squat Day

-Warm up Bar x10, 115x5, 155x5, 175x3 (All moving the bar as explosively as possible)
    -Work set 185x5*, 215x5*, 240x12. So with the formula this puts me at a #336 max. Squats felt pretty good here and I used the 18" box and my belt. Left 1-2 in the tank.

-Squat 145x10*, 145*, 145*, 145*, 145*. (No belt, No box. Good explosive here. Rest times cut to 60 seconds for the anabolic hormones stimulation)

-Seated Hamstring curl machine 170 x10*, 10*, 10*, 10*, 10*.

Cardio:

Thoughts:
    -Pretty good workout. First time trying Christian Thibaudeau's Peri-workout protocol. I tried the "lite" version with everything cut in half. This is what I did:

Workout -90minutes: 1capful Biotest Liquid GPC
    Workout -60minutes: 1 FINiBar
    Workout -30minutes: 1 scoop Surge workout fuel
    Workout -10minutes: 1 scoop Sugre Recovery
    During Workout: 30g Whey blend. (50% hydrolyzed, 25% Isolate, 25% concentrate)
    Workout +45minutes: 20g Whey blend
    Workout +75minutes: Solid Meal which was Eggwhites for the quick absorption.

Minus the eggwhites this protocol pumped 700cals into my system. With about 80g Carbs, 90g Protein and the rest fats. People have been seeing excellent results on this so we shall see!

Thoughts on the protocol: I felt really good honestly. Oh and to add to that protocol I did an "Athletic" dose of Trans-D Tropin at the same time of the GPC. Athletic protocol for Trans-D is x4/daily 10-11 drops.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

Nov 23: Military press

This was the first workout done after a day of work. I got to the gym 15 hours after waking up, and with 5.5 hours of sleep.

Working sets:

95x3*, 110x3*, 125x9.

Assistance:

Military 70x5x10, 60sec rest.

Chins 5*, 5, 5, 4, 3 and failed the 4th lol.

Thoughts: Decent energy with the protocol I'm currently doing.

Last edited by Darkane; 11-24-2009 at 11:00 PM.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast