Quantcast
can i fight it - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can i fight it

Question can i fight it

HI
    I had a mishap yesterday ,i already had reniewed my registration,and while i was trying to stick my sticker on registration plate it just couldn't stick so i thought i'll buy the glue from Superstore and will stick it.
    I kept the stiker in my wallet and drove just after 5 min,a police ar pulled me ,i showed the stiker to the policeman and told him everything,and showed him all registration docs.even then he gave me a ticket of $230.
    I just don't wanna give it ,b/c I commited no fault.
    Please Please tell me what can i do?

My Ride
    GTI

That's not cool, I dunno though, registration stickers are a pretty big deal, and by definition you did comit a fault, but he should have understood.

I don't know if points deal with these kinds of tickets, I've never had to go to them, but I don't think they could do anything, is there a court date for that kind of ticket???

There must be something you can do, just not sure exactly what.

Might as well call one of the registration offices or points, I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 11-19-2003 at 01:49 PM.

yeah theres a court date.At least the tickets amount get reduced I'll be happy then.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

That's such BS - hell, what if someone had stolen your sticker? I would definately fight it.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

you can fight that for sure, go down to the crown prosecutor in about a week after the date of issue on the ticket (it takes a while to enter the system, and explain it, cause thats week, if not, definatly go to court the day it says to.
    Travel

sounds like a BS story

if you have the valid registration on you.... and you can show the cop that the sticker has no adhesive on it... the cop SHOULD understand

SERIOUSLY

are we supposed to believe that?

Originally posted by sputnik
    sounds like a BS story
    Exactly what I was thinking.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

It is BS. But reality is that you broke the law by driving without it.

There is more to this story than you are obviously telling us. It is November 19. That is the middle of the month. If you told me this story and it was the first day of the month, I could understand. Clearly, you have been driving for AT LEAST the last 19 days (if not more) illegally having not renewed your registration.

It sucks, but that is what I see... and I bet that is what the cop saw.

Anyway, that is here nor there. I got the same ticket. Went into the prosecutors office and got it reduced to $100.

Cool! Has the BS smiley always been there?

Some cops are power-hungry bastards. So there could be a cop that would refuse to show any understanding in a situation like this. But in this case the registration date does give it away.

Khyron is right though - what if the sticker falls off in the car wash or gets stolen or something? Definitely not worth $230.

My Ride
    O.P.P.

I think Sputnik is saying that samantha's story is
    Anyhow, just go to court and explain the situation to the Crown prosecutor.

My Ride
    335i

I think it's a BS story too. Regardless of whether a sticker is in place, an officer has the ability to verify on his/her onboard computer of the status of the vehicles registration.

If it's true, take it to the crown prosecuter, and if that doesn't work, to court. You will win, if everything you said was true.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

A cop can also verify if you have a valid drivers licence or not, but can still give you a ticket for not carrying it with you.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by benyl
    It is BS. But reality is that you broke the law by driving without it.

There is more to this story than you are obviously telling us. It is November 19. That is the middle of the month. If you told me this story and it was the first day of the month, I could understand. Clearly, you have been driving for AT LEAST the last 19 days (if not more) illegally having not renewed your registration.

It sucks, but that is what I see... and I bet that is what the cop saw.

Anyway, that is here nor there. I got the same ticket. Went into the prosecutors office and got it reduced to $100.

WTF makes you think she has been driving around for 19 says with out registration??... You re-register your car from a year when your previous registration was.. if that was November 18th of 2002 then I don't see how her getting new registration on nov 18th 2003 is illegal....

EDIT: If I am wrong please correct me... But I am pretty sure.
    Last edited by DJ Lazy; 11-19-2003 at 08:18 PM.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by szw
    A cop can also verify if you have a valid drivers licence or not, but can still give you a ticket for not carrying it with you.

Yep, except we arent talking about Licences, and it is two entirely different things

The last time I checked, we don't carry driver's licence stickers either.

Felon or Mistermeiner

haha yea, actually I was more referring to the part that even if the cop can verify something...he/she is still able to write you a ticket for not displaying a sticker or not showing your licence...unfair as it may be.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by szw
    haha yea, actually I was more referring to the part that even if the cop can verify something...he/she is still able to write you a ticket for not displaying a sticker or not showing your licence...unfair as it may be.
    The problem is that these are commonly stolen, as weird as it sounds, I have had one taken off my plate. When I was pulled over, I was as surprised as he was, because in his computer, it showed the car was registered, but we could both see that the sticker was not there. He let me go, and I just had to get another sticker from the registry.

Felon or Mistermeiner

Another point, assuming you already have a sticker on there from previous renewals, can we not assume that the cops aren't exactly LOOKING for the sticker until they pull you over? I dunno about you guys, but it's not THAT easy to see the year on the sticker without getting out and looking at it.

So I'm assuming she got pulled over for another reason to begin with, and the cop was just looking for something to ticket her on?

you're right its hard to read the stickers and so thats why they are color coded

first of all everything happened as I told u guys,secondly my registration was done on time he saw it on his computer and also i showed him my papers.
    I was doing nothing wrong at the time he pulled over me,it was just a bad day to me.
    i'll go to the court soon.wish me best luck,i wish it won't happen to anyone.

My Ride
    Village Bike

Originally posted by DJ Lazy

WTF makes you think she has been driving around for 19 says with out registration??... You re-register your car from a year when your previous registration was.. if that was November 18th of 2002 then I don't see how her getting new registration on nov 18th 2003 is illegal....

EDIT: If I am wrong please correct me... But I am pretty sure.
    I'm pretty sure your registration is done by month and not the exact date.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast