Calgary family negotiates NO homework for kids - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary family negotiates NO homework for kids

Default Calgary family negotiates NO homework for kids

How one family won the battle to ban homework

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
    Published on Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2009 9:43PM EST

Last updated on Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2009 7:03AM EST

Sherri and Tom Milley were exhausted by the weepy weeknight struggles over math problems and writing assignments with their three school-aged children. They were fed up with rushing home from soccer practice or speed skating only to stand over their kids tossing out answers so they could finish and get to bed.

And don't even get them started on the playground that their daughter, Brittany, had to build in Grade 3 from recycled materials, complete with moving parts. Or the time their eldest son, Jay, was told to cut pictures of $1-million worth of consumer goods from a catalogue.

So last week, after two years of trying to change the homework policy at the children's school, the two Calgary lawyers finally negotiated a unique legal contract: their kids will never have to do homework again.

“We have struggled constantly as a family with excessive amounts of homework,” said Ms. Milley, who left her practice to stay home with her children. “We just blindly accepted the way it was.”

But after many long stressful nights of getting 18-year-old Jay through his high school homework, they weren't prepared to repeat history with Spencer, 11, and Brittany, 10. Being lawyers, she and her husband decided to make it official.

The “differentiated homework plan” spells out the responsibilities of the students: to get their work done in class, to come to school prepared, and prep for quizzes. But their teachers will have to mark them based on what they do in class, and cannot send work home that factors into their grades.

Milleys' Differentiated Homework Plan

For the Milleys, this means a school year that would make many homework-stricken parents envious: they are free to hang out as family without long division and English comprehension questions hanging over their heads.

“It was a constant homework battle every night,” Ms. Milley recalled. “It's hard to get a weeping child to take in math problems. They are tired. They shouldn't be working a second shift.”

It's not as if, the couple pointed out, they don't value education. They know firsthand the work involved in earning university degrees. But they wanted the academic work done at home to be on their terms, based on where they knew their children needed help. Brittany, for instance, was struggling with spelling, but “we never had any time to focus on that because she had so much homework,” Ms. Milley said.

And there were plenty of frustrating nights, she said, when her kids were so tired, “we'd stand over them, saying, ‘write this, write that.' ” If that's what families are doing, she asked, “how do the teachers even know whose work they are marking?”

Two years ago, Ms. Milley began collecting studies on homework, most of which suggest that, particularly for younger grades, there is no clear link between work at home and school performance. Working with the staff at St. Brigid Elementary Junior High School, she formed a homework committee, although no firm changes resulted. This fall, the couple began negotiating the legal document that decided the matter.

“We think it's a parent's right to choose what's in our children's best interests,” said Ms. Milley. “But we're thankful the school did the right thing.”

Prompted by issues raised by parents, the Calgary Catholic School District is officially reviewing its homework policy to create more concrete guidelines for schools. Other parents and teachers have worked out homework deals, although more informally. “We know it's not one size fits all,” said Tania Younker, a district spokesperson.

The contract the Milleys and their children signed doesn't go just one way. While preventing teachers from giving penalties when homework isn't done, it also puts clear expectations on the students and their parents – to practice a musical instrument, for instance, and read daily, two activities more clearly linked to academic success, Ms. Milley suggested, than racing through leftover schoolwork. And the parents agreed to make sure their children have “opportunities” to review class work and study for tests. (Although that may as well be homework, Ms. Milley observed wryly, noting that, by her count, Spencer, has had roughly 28 quizzes and tests in about 38 class days of Grade 7.) The bottom line: the Milley kids won't be doing any school-assigned work at home any time soon, although Jay, now in first year university, must resign himself to being a trailblazer for his younger siblings.

“Why were we putting our family through that stress,” wondered Ms. Milley. “If we don't want it all, we shouldn't have to have it.”

i never did homework anyways as a kid?

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by GQBalla
    i didn't even do any in Highschool?

but its so true, i look at my mom and step dad with my little sisters, between hockey, soccer, dance, school sports, switching houses between divorced parents and homework the poor kids have no time for themselves.
    But they handle it alright i guess, come home from school, do your homework, eat dinner when parents get home, go to your sport, come home and go to bed lol.. poor guys..

Originally posted by JfuckinC

i didn't even do any in Highschool?

but its so true, i look at my mom and step dad with my little sisters, between hockey, soccer, dance, school sports, switching houses between divorced parents and homework the poor kids have no time for themselves.
    But they handle it alright i guess, come home from school, do your homework, eat dinner when parents get home, go to your sport, come home and go to bed lol.. poor guys..
    AHAHAH high school too.

and come to think of it. post secondary also.

i always did it at school

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by GQBalla
    I rarely ever did either, straight through the end of high-school as it just wasn't necessary. I'm not sure how old you are but kids these days have WAY more unnecessary homework than we ever did when I was in school (fuck, I sound old lol). I think the amount of crap poured down on them is straight up bullshit though.

Good job for the parents imo.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Or the time their eldest son, Jay, was told to cut pictures of $1-million worth of consumer goods from a catalogue.
    I did that assignment in elementary after we just watched Brewsters Millions in class. Sounded like the funnest assignment ever but it got tiring quickly because I just kept cutting out toys I liked from consumers distributing and it would have taken forever.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I did my english homework like a rabid dog... then again, I liked English class... I got to write lots ^_^

Math... not so much :P

But as to the story posted by the OP, there is only one thing I must post:

Geek

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Wow...cry me a fucking river, that is lame. For generations kids had to do homework and people make out just fine and deal with it, so why can't these people deal with it, suck it up. Don't let kids have an easy way out, they will expect it for the rest of their lives (like all the noobs who got hired in 2006-07 to work different jobs at inflated pay, none of them will work again anywhere for less then 60k a year)

Unbelievable. Might as well shove the silver spoon in a little deeper for the kids in that family.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Silverado

Yea I never had homework till grade 7, like WTF is an 11 year old going to do with homework, I'm glad some precidence was set so the boards will back off on the time wasting home work. Like cut out a million dollars worth of merchandise? Stfu

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I agree with the parents, it's unnecessary. The teachers get paid to teach the kids in a given time slot and they fail so they need to give them more work to do in the nighttime. That's not right, if they can't teach in the time they have, get better teachers.

But it does scare me that pretty much anyone under 20 today can't spell for shit and this is just going to make that worse.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-15-2019 at 12:22 PM.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by Mar
    I agree with the parents, it's unnecessary. The teachers get paid to teach the kids in a given time slot and they fail so they need to give them more work to do in the nighttime. That's not right, if they can't teach in the time they have, get better teachers.

But it does scare me that pretty much anyone under 20 today can't spell for shit and this is just going to make that worse.
    I wont lie, I'm pretty shit at spelling. my blackberry and computers are slowly helping me improve! lol

Originally posted by JfuckinC

I wont lie, I'm pretty shit at spelling. my blackberry and computers are slowly helping me improve! lol
    thats why spell check was invented

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Yea I never had homework till grade 7, like WTF is an 11 year old going to do with homework
    Uh. An 11 year old is probably in grade 6 whats the big deal?

When I was in school I was getting homework in grade 4.

Kids should be getting homework and have tests they have to study for early on as it teaches them discipline for college, university and work later in life.

Perhaps parents should start cutting back on the after school activities they are enrolling their kids in. I know people who have their kids in something almost EVERY night. It's brutal.

I don't think this is such a bad idea. I never did homework because I never needed to. If it weren't for the fact that a quarter of my grades were based on homework I would have been an A student. In post-secondary my only homework was large team-based projects and I graduated with a 4.0. Imagine that.

I think the solution is simple. You tell kids what they need to learn, teach it to them in class and give them a practice quiz later. Kids that are struggling will know to do extra work before a marked exam, kids that aren't can play video games all night. Obviously there should be exceptions, but I'm thinking 1 or 2 large projects per class per semester.

I bet the kids mentioned in this article are smart as fuck and don't need to do homework but their grades, and their home life, are suffering anyway. I'm not saying that all lawyers are smart and hard-working, but I will put good money on the fact that two people with the work ethic and intelligence required to go through and succeed in law school have taught their kids that same work ethic.

Not that I believe in teaching 10 year olds about the real world but the fact is that if you're a smart guy you don't have to work as hard to accomplish the same results as somebody else.

I haven't put a whole lot of thought into this so there's probably holes in my logic somewhere, I encourage them to be pointed out.

EDIT: I just read above that somebody is semi-blaming the teachers and I think that's totally wrong. Teachers are given x amount of knowledge to give to students in y number of hours. Smart kids and hard-working kids have no problems absorbing that shit, it's slow kids with slow, distant parents that cause the problem.

Sometimes I feel like the homework is excessive, looking at my cousins. I generally feel that it isn't the teachers failing or whatever, the point of homework is to teach you how to teach yourself, an important life skill.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Porjects and other special at home assignments are fine I think. Kids under grade 5 though shouldn't be doing much homework. Kids and teens need to do some homework if they ever decide to go to university, otherise they are in for a huge wake up call
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Originally posted by sputnik

Uh. An 11 year old is probably in grade 6 whats the big deal?

When I was in school I was getting homework in grade 4.

Kids should be getting homework and have tests they have to study for early on as it teaches them discipline for college, university and work later in life.

Perhaps parents should start cutting back on the after school activities they are enrolling their kids in. I know people who have their kids in something almost EVERY night. It's brutal.
    Exactly. This mentality is a part of the reason why our education system lags behind many others. Bail-out mentality FTL.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    4x4

Dunno about this... It is getting bit crazy... My little one is in grade 1 - she gets homework; 2-3 nights a week. She's in bloody GRADE 1! The occasional project - sure no problem, but in grade one for her to have an hour or so a night of spelling, writing and arithmetic...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast