Quantcast
Button confirmed at McLaren - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Button confirmed at McLaren

Default Button confirmed at McLaren

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80197

I was wrong. Button was stupid enough for career suicide, and unless he can prove he's on Hamilton's level (which he hasn't yet in his career), his 2009 WDC will be remembered as one that had a dominant car rather than driver.

McLaren retains the #1 and 2 cars, which I'm sure they're ecstatic about, and they now have the last 2 WDCs in their car.

I have no doubt next year's McLaren will be more suited to Hamilton's driving style, since he's been with the team 3 years now, and they've been developing the 2010 car for a while. Button's in for a long 3 years. If Button would've stayed at Brawn, I'm sure he would've had #1 status, and the advantage of being with the team since 2003. Good luck Jense, you'll need it.

My Ride
    97 Supra tt

McLaren must know something. I don't think they would of pick him just because he is a WC at a cheap price. But I wish that they hadn't. I'm not a Button fan.
    But if he is on pair with Hamilton next year, McLaren will have a good year.
    751HP HKS V-Pro, Tuned by: Justin Nenni

I was looking forward to a Kimi v. Hamilton year. It would've been 2007 all over again, minus the 6/10ths and the drama.

Maybe they think Button knows he's in a situation where he needs to prove himself and he'll work hard for it.

Personally, I think this puts him under as much pressure as he was under last season and he's gonna choke choke choke all the way to mid-pack.

3-4 wins each for Lewis and Jenson
    The rest go to Alonso - he'll be champ by 15-20 pts IMO.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by scary_perry
    3-4 wins each for Lewis and Jenson
    The rest go to Alonso - he'll be champ by 15-20 pts IMO.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

I'm more surprised by Mclaren wanting/willing to sign Button. They had the chance to land him a few years ago iirc but did not pursuit. True that he's now a WC, but his ability has not changed imo....

Is an all british line-up really that important? seem like all the old big time british drivers disagree.

My Ride
    BMW E86 M Coupe

Default Re: Button confirmed at McLaren

Originally posted by buh_buh
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80197

I was wrong. Button was stupid enough for career suicide, and unless he can prove he's on Hamilton's level (which he hasn't yet in his career), his 2009 WDC will be remembered as one that had a dominant car rather than driver.

McLaren retains the #1 and 2 cars, which I'm sure they're ecstatic about, and they now have the last 2 WDCs in their car.

I have no doubt next year's McLaren will be more suited to Hamilton's driving style, since he's been with the team 3 years now, and they've been developing the 2010 car for a while. Button's in for a long 3 years. If Button would've stayed at Brawn, I'm sure he would've had #1 status, and the advantage of being with the team since 2003. Good luck Jense, you'll need it.
    Fuuuuck Button. No loyalty to the team that posted you up.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Default Re: Re: Button confirmed at McLaren

Originally posted by herragge

its not uncommon fin F1. Alonso did it, Hill did it. Both for various reasons. Alonso was signed with Mclaren for the up comming year before he won his second WDC.

Default Re: Re: Button confirmed at McLaren

Originally posted by herragge

I agree with this. Last December he had no drive, and all season he was going on about how grateful he was to even have a F1 seat, let alone be in the position to drive such a great car, blah blah blah, and now he turns his back on his only team that has given him a race winning (let alone a WDC winning) car.

Alonso had already won 2 WDCs already, and everyone (including him) knew Renault was going to shit the bed the year after. That and the 6/10ths he took with him didn't help Renault either. That's probably how Alonso's "getting the rest of them", right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So I read the latest interview with Button...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80230

"I'm very excited," Button told Radio 5 Live. "The season just gone has been a very special one. Since I've been with Brawn, our aim was always to win the title, and it's exactly what we did, so it wasn't an easy decision to make to leave.

"I spent so long there through the BAR and Honda years, and it's been a real emotional rollercoaster since then. It's just something I needed to do at this point in my life.

"It was 100 per cent my choice. For me, the move is because it's going to be a huge challenge to go up against Lewis in his environment. My goal since I was eight years old has been to win the world title, and I've done that now. Now I feel I need a new challenge."

The Briton denied the decision had been motivated by financial issues.

"No. I'm earning less than I would have at Brawn. I didn't move for money and everyone knows it. It's something new for me. I'll have to work very hard in the new situation I've put myself in, and I intend to do it.

"Of course it's not going to be easy, but I'm very excited about the challenge. I've got to work very hard to achieve what I want to achieve."

Button also admitted Brawn had done everything possible to try and retain him.

"Yes they did. We had a very good relationship, especially with Ross. I couldn't have done it without him. It's been a real team effort. For most people the normal progression is to stay with the team. For me though, this is exciting. It's what I need right now."

The world champion, who had been with the team since the 2003 season, is expecting his relationship with Brawn to change because of his move.

"It's going to be a different relationship, of course, because I'm not in the team any more. We're not fighting for the title any more. We've achieved that. Instead I'm going to be a rival of Mercedes Grand Prix. We'll still have a good relationship though. We've been through a lot together. "

He conceded the emotional side played a role in making his decision to leave Brawn harder, but Button said the new challenge was too exciting to turn it down.

"I was excited, but there was a lot to think about because I'd been with Brawn for seven years. On an emotional side there was definitely lots to think about.

"The challenge of going up against Lewis in his environment was a challenge. Tough, but a challenge. For me, I achieved everything I wanted to with Brawn with winning the title in '09 and I'm looking for new challenges. At this point in my career it's an exciting opportunity that I'm going to take."
    Props to Button for taking that challenge in beating Hamilton. I agree money isn't a huge deal for him anymore, he was making retarded money with Honda and has all the money he needs anyways. He needs to prove the critics wrong that his championship wasn't all car.

He's got nothing to lose. If he's slower, his image doesn't change. If he beats Hamilton, he'll shut everyone up. If they're racing at the same pace, he's at Hamilton's level. Now I wanna cheer for the underdog haha. At the end of the day, as long as McLaren wins, I'm happy!

I think I just gained 10x more respect for Button. Let's hope he can pull it off and can get close to Hamilton, it would be an epic battle to see 2 McLarens battling each other for the championship like the old days of Prost and Senna. Don't think it'll happen tho...
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I think McLaren will do well with Button. If you look at his record this year, he finished every single race except for Spa where he was taken out by someone else... plus, every race that he finished he scored points. I think he will be a more consistent scorer than Heikki and that will be very positive for McLaren's bid for the constructors championship.

Originally posted by DJ Lazy

well it won't be Brawn/Merc winning races next year.

Hamilton - Button will be a mess by mid season. Dennis should have hired someone to support Hamilton and develop the car. Two number one drivers is never a good idea.

My Ride
    4Runner

Originally posted by rage2
    So I read the latest interview with Button...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80230

Props to Button for taking that challenge in beating Hamilton. I agree money isn't a huge deal for him anymore, he was making retarded money with Honda and has all the money he needs anyways. He needs to prove the critics wrong that his championship wasn't all car.

He's got nothing to lose. If he's slower, his image doesn't change. If he beats Hamilton, he'll shut everyone up. If they're racing at the same pace, he's at Hamilton's level. Now I wanna cheer for the underdog haha. At the end of the day, as long as McLaren wins, I'm happy!

I think I just gained 10x more respect for Button. Let's hope he can pull it off and can get close to Hamilton, it would be an epic battle to see 2 McLarens battling each other for the championship like the old days of Prost and Senna. Don't think it'll happen tho...
    If he went to any other team I don't think you would say this! you're just happy he's on your team!
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    Always wanted a celica? Or just since you got your first period?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by scary_perry
    Hamilton - Button will be a mess by mid season. Dennis should have hired someone to support Hamilton and develop the car. Two number one drivers is never a good idea.
    Not a problem, McLaren has thought it through very well. Button is clearly not a #1 driver compared to Hamilton...

Originally posted by bashir26
    If he went to any other team I don't think you would say this! you're just happy he's on your team!
    I would've said the same thing if he joined Alonso at Ferrari. I wouldn't cheer for him if that happened though... haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Great... by the forces of F1 team movements I am now cheering the same team as Rage... sigh -_- :P hehe well, as long as there are more F1 parties in 2010? I'll be there every time
    Geek