Quantcast
Calgary Police Speed Trap (Entrapment) - Country Hills Blvd East - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Police Speed Trap (Entrapment) - Country Hills Blvd East

My Ride
    Jeep

Exclamation Calgary Police Speed Trap (Entrapment) - Country Hills Blvd East

Entrapment: the act of a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense which would be illegal and the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.

Country Hills Blvd NE (east of the deerfoot) is undergoing construction, and has been for many months.

I am guessing they have had some problems with speeders whipping through their construction zone, so today they decided to set up speed cameras.

Country Hills Blvd is normally a 80km zone. For the purposes of construction they have posted a 50km sign about 50 yards out from the guys holding the "SLOW" / "STOP" signs.

Today I was driving along, in the 80km zone, approaching the 50km sign and a cop walked out in the middle of the street next to the construction guys with the traffic signs, pointing me over to the side of the road.

I pull over and he says "You were going a bit fast for a 50 zone. I got you doing 70". My issue here is that he is literally standing AT the 50km sign and in front of the "Construction Ahead" sign.

(Yes, I grabbed a camera and circled back again the second I got home). His radar is set up pointing between the grace period given to reduce your speed from 80km to 50km and I was ticketed $280.00 for doing 70, mid-way between working my speed down from 80 to 50. After receiving the ticket, 2 minutes from my driveway, I went back to get shots from all angles to prove how ridiculous of a setup this is.

If he is THAT close to the 50km sign, his radar is pointed in the grace zone that is in place to allow you to reduce your speed to the 50km by the time you're IN THE 50km ZONE. By the time I made it to the sign, he was out in the middle of the road pointing me over to the side.

I had my girlfriend, both parents (visiting - now thinks Calgary Police is a joke) and my dog aboard. The space given (according to his radar, about 50 yards, MAX) is considerably insufficient to drop your speed by 30km/hr without stomping the brakes and jolting people around in your vehicle. My dog would have went flying!

I am fighting not only this ticket, but this bullshit set up that allows ZERO grace period to reduce your speed.
    $280 ticket for doing 70 in the few yards between 80km/hr and 50km/hr zone. Whether my ticket is pardoned or not, I'm giving this set up hell. TV/Radio programs love this kind of bullshit by police.

Sidenote: Best part is, I can see this guy from the back window of my house. I drive a H3 and within 20 minutes of returning home from taking my pictures, he pulled over 2 other H3's (both black). IF YOU WERE ONE OF THEM / KNOW ONE OF THEM - please let me know. (Opinion: All pissed off at Hummers, so he's pulling over each one that passes? *cough cough* PROFILING *cough*)
    Last edited by hoyles; 11-20-2009 at 11:52 AM.

My Ride
    TDi

That sucks! Good luck on fighting that
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    SR20 240sx / 2002 Jeep

holy greasyy move.

My Ride
    02' dc5

what assshoolleess!

My Ride
    has three pedals.

I wish we had entrapment laws here, I really do.

In England, cops are NOT allowed to sit and hide and get you. Instead, they park their car openly and people slow down. They also have a ton of speed cameras which are fixed.

And H3's aren't expensive, so I lol'd at your comment.

You HAVE to update this thread once you have fought it.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Hope you fight and win...Useless cps.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Hondas

good luck fighting the ticket, keep us updated

While I can sort of wrap my head around why you are upset about this, it absolutely does not meet the criteria for entrapment.

The other thing that I have to wonder about is the notion of a 'grace period' for slowing down. There is no such thing in law. When the sign indicates a 50 km/h zone, it is a 50 km/h zone.

This may seem peculiar to you as you seem to think that it means you have to slow down from 80km/h to 50km/h in the width of the sign. My question to you is this; from what distance away, can and should you begin to slow down in anticipation of the 50 km/h zone? I would guess that there is probably sufficient room to do so without conducting an abrupt manoever. Just because you are in an 80 km/h zone, doesn't mean you should be doing 80 when you know that there is a change in speed approaching.

For example: on a 50 km/h road, the speed limit is still technically 50 km/h even one meter from a stop sign, but a prudent driver will see the stop sign in advance and slow at a reasonable rate to a stop. The same applies to a change in speed limit; a prudent and competent driver will look ahead and adjust their speed accordingly in a reasonable fashion.

Perhaps I am missing something though.
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

My Ride
    Ef

That is

I know on 68th st turning on 16th westbound they have the sign up of 60km/h with a pretty good grace period before you reach the radar. That is such a greasy move....let me guess, end of the month comin up...

Anyone have problem with them leaving the contruction signs up when no one is even there? This was happening on 16th avenue for about a month until I guess complaints came in and now they've taken them down at night...

Your scenario sounds like the one I occured. It was night time, no construction, signs were still up (I still drove posted limit) radar hiding behind construction sign pulling people over I'm not complaning because I still drove limit, it just isn't fare. It's not black/white. Night time, no constrution, signs still up, gives you ticket....Feel sorry for the people that got pulled over before the signs were taken down..

My Ride
    K-car

That looks like the same sneeky cop that got me in a consruction zone with his cruiser blocked by a backhoe.
    good luck with the ticket!

Originally posted by BlueGoblin
    While I can sort of wrap my head around why you are upset about this, it absolutely does not meet the criteria for entrapment.

The other thing that I have to wonder about is the notion of a 'grace period' for slowing down. There is no such thing in law. When the sign indicates a 50 km/h zone, it is a 50 km/h zone.
    the grace area he is referring to is the area between the 80 sign and the 50 sign. And because OP was clocked doing 70 and not 80, it seems like he was in fact slowing down. When he was tagged he was not past the 50 sign (or so he claims). OP, great pictures! you have an excellent chance of winning this.

but i also have to agree that this is not entrapment at all, entrapment (as i know the definition) would be if, for example the cop posted a 100km/h sign in an area where the limit was actually 80. And was handing out tickets to people doing 100.

your case, although BS, is not entrapment at all
    Last edited by chkolny541; 11-18-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Jeep

The other thing that I have to wonder about is the notion of a 'grace period' for slowing down.
    Roughly 20m ahead of the 50km sign is a yellow construction sign saying "50km Ahead". This is what I call the 'grace period' to let you move down from the regular posted speed.

After seeing this sign, caught up in conversation (parents leaving for airport, blah blah), I started slowing down, then saw the cop in the middle of the lane seconds later.

And H3's aren't expensive, so I lol'd at your comment.
    Fine. But I call any vehicle almost $700/month 'expensive'.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

This may seem peculiar to you as you seem to think that it means you have to slow down from 80km/h to 50km/h in the width of the sign. My question to you is this; from what distance away, can and should you begin to slow down in anticipation of the 50 km/h zone? I would guess that there is probably sufficient room to do so without conducting an abrupt manoever. Just because you are in an 80 km/h zone, doesn't mean you should be doing 80 when you know that there is a change in speed approaching.

For example: on a 50 km/h road, the speed limit is still technically 50 km/h even one meter from a stop sign, but a prudent driver will see the stop sign in advance and slow at a reasonable rate to a stop. The same applies to a change in speed limit; a prudent and competent driver will look ahead and adjust their speed accordingly in a reasonable fashion.

Perhaps I am missing something though.
    For my benefit, could you confirm if I am reading this correctly.

You are saying that the 50km/h zone begins not at that sign, but rather at anywhere within the line of sight of that sign?

Is it up to the officer's discretion to decide what is a prudent rate of deceleration? Can an officer ticket you if someone is deemed to be inadequately decelerating? What is the standard of prudent deceleration?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just asking so I don't get a ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Jeep

As for the "entrapment" debate, I am not a lawyer, nor will I pretend to be. I read the definition of: "the act of a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense" and deemed it relevant to this case.

He is standing AT a 50km sign, pointing his radar in the space between a posted 80km sign and the line of sight to a 50km sign and ticketing people doing 70.

If that isn't forcing an offense on people, "speeding", what is?

And if it isn't entrapment, it's a bullshit mistake on their part in an attempt to nail as many people as possible. I could see if I was barreling through at 100km/hr or something, but I was braking while approaching and basically stopped AT the 50km sign. See pics above.

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

For my benefit, could you confirm if I am reading this correctly.

You are saying that the 50km/h zone begins not at that sign, but rather at anywhere within the line of sight of that sign?

Is it up to the officer's discretion to decide what is a prudent rate of deceleration? Can an officer ticket you if someone is deemed to be inadequately decelerating? What is the standard of prudent deceleration?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just asking so I don't get a ticket.
    Not at all; I'm saying the 50 zone begins at the 50 sign. That being said, once you see the 50 zone sign, you need to prepare for it, much in the same way as you would prepare for a stop sign.

Like I said, perhaps I am missing something here. If the speed was measured on the OP's vehicle while still in an 80 km/h zone, it isn't entrapment, it is just an invalid charge.

The way I read it was that the OP was in the 50km/h zone, but only started to slow at the speed change point and not before.

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

My Ride

If you were stopped before the 50km/h sign, I don't see how you couldn't have slowed down reasonably to 50km/h well before that had the officer not jumped into the lane.

My Ride

Not at all; I'm saying the 50 zone begins at the 50 sign. That being said, once you see the 50 zone sign, you need to prepare for it, much in the same way as you would prepare for a stop sign.

Like I said, perhaps I am missing something here. If the speed was measured on the OP's vehicle while still in an 80 km/h zone, it isn't entrapment, it is just an invalid charge.

The way I read it was that the OP was in the 50km/h zone, but only started to slow at the speed change point and not before.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Invalid charge it is then!

My Ride
    Jeep

50 begins at 50. Period. What I was saying in my original post, to clarify, is that he is basically standing within inches of the sign. That being the case, his radar clearly cannot be pointing inside of the 50 because I was stopped at the 50.
    Therefore, his radar has to be pointed outside - APPROACHING - the 50. Making his pulling me over for 70 bullshit.

Originally posted by hoyles

Roughly 20m ahead of the 50km sign is a yellow construction sign saying "50km Ahead". This is what I call the 'grace period' to let you move down from the regular posted speed.

After seeing this sign, caught up in conversation (parents leaving for airport, blah blah), I started slowing down, then saw the cop in the middle of the lane seconds later.
    Okay - this makes a bit more sense. That could be more properly described as a grace period, or point where you're warned to slow down. If you were in the zone prior to the 50 km/h zone but after the '50 ahead' sign, than the higher limit should apply and the ticket should be invalid.

What I had put before was based on the understanding that your speed was measured after the 50km/h zone began.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Cop probably watches F1...

Come into the pit lane as fast as you can and make sure you hit that line at 100km/h...

GL OP on this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast