Quantcast
i want a Austin MINI...how hard are these to find? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: i want a Austin MINI...how hard are these to find?

My Ride
    Pos

Default i want a Austin MINI...how hard are these to find?

i want a LHD austin mini cooper, i've been drooling over one since i was aliltte child lol.

i wouldn't mind a RHD one consedring they are easy to find...any thoughts?

Discuss.

My Ride
    Various

They are out there - check out the British Saloon Car Club of Canada - lots of Mini guys. Value for money the rhd car imported from Japan is the way to go.

Default Re: i want a Austin MINI...how hard are these to find?

Originally posted by Dope7

Discuss.
    that was super gay, not only for being homosexual enough to use the word" discuss" alone in an attempt to make it look like you are an avid poster on forums, but you did a gay licky thing too

My Ride
    '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.

Default Re: Re: i want a Austin MINI...how hard are these to find?

Originally posted by JimmyJones

that was super gay, not only for being homosexual enough to use the word" discuss" alone in an attempt to make it look like you are an avid poster on forums, but you did a gay licky thing too
    He's got almost twice as many posts as you, "newbie", and actually used his post to ask a valid question - unlike you wasting the post above in a pathetic attempt to receive instant credit and validation from others as being the "new funny-guy". Saawweeeeett!

Edit: If you refer to my resources located here, my assumption becomes much more concrete while skimming over your consistently flaccid one-line replies.
    Last edited by Pollywog; 11-20-2009 at 09:27 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

My buddy has a '65 that's in mint condition. He's doing a B18 swap into it, already had the subframe made. It's a sweet little car!

My Ride
    1973 Austin mini Pickup

www.vancouverminiclub.ca

www.albertaminitrucks.ca

www.minimainia.com

Those are just a few sites.

Just be prepared to pay through the nose for engine upgrades and overhauls (usually every 50,000kms)

Fun little cars. I am on my second one now(its a truck though)

Ive done a D15B swap and a pro-motive r1 swap on my last one. The D15b swap was never finished and I could not find anyone to insure me when the r1 was done( scary fast and such a sleeper)

zr auto (used car dealership in the se) used to have a ton of them in stock at one point.

My Ride
    1973 Austin mini Pickup

Yeah last time I was there they had some stupid modified one and they were asking $89 000 for it. ( was asking $100 000)

My Ride
    Pos

sweet thanks for the info guys.

i wanted one for the longest time, are they good Reliable DD lol?

My Ride

Lol, I can't believe I just read "are they good reliable DD".. This would definitely be considered more of a "project car" than a "reliable DD", especially if its outfitted with the original motor. However, the fun you can have with these things outweighs many of the downfalls of owning one.

Random internet remarks on the original Mini Cooper:

Reliability:

"Unreliable as a rule"

"The mini has a rather interestingly placed distributor cap, right behind the grill, which means in wet weather be prepared to stop occasionally and always carry a can of WD40."

"a journey can easily become unbearable if the road is bumpy and the weather is wet"

"I sold my perfectly practical Fiesta to buys my little Mini. Was really fun for about a week! Then the electrics went wrong. 2 weeks later it failed its MOT on broken subframe mounts. Then the water pump broke. I have just got the main and needle jet in the carburettor done and now the clutch has gone!! Those are the bad points. The good points are when it does actually work perfectly it is the best car in the world I can't imagine being without it."

Just like every awesome car, half the fun is guessing whether it will start the next morning - but holy hell is it awesome if it does! lol
    Last edited by Pollywog; 11-21-2009 at 12:08 AM.

My Ride
    KTM

I have a buddy with one, its restored body wise and engine wise but needs the wiring finished in the engine. I think he wants 5000$ for it im not sure if thats a deal or not PM me if you want me to put you in touch.

My Ride
    0.8 L of Diesel fury

I also love minis... I would try to swap in a honda engine or something for reliability....

Check this one out, it's from the Rover Era. Zen Auto is selling it:

My Ride
    Pos

Originally posted by Pollywog
    Lol, I can't believe I just read "are they good reliable DD".. This would definitely be considered more of a "project car" than a "reliable DD", especially if its outfitted with the original motor. However, the fun you can have with these things outweighs many of the downfalls of owning one.

Random internet remarks on the original Mini Cooper:

Reliability:

"Unreliable as a rule"

"The mini has a rather interestingly placed distributor cap, right behind the grill, which means in wet weather be prepared to stop occasionally and always carry a can of WD40."

"a journey can easily become unbearable if the road is bumpy and the weather is wet"

"I sold my perfectly practical Fiesta to buys my little Mini. Was really fun for about a week! Then the electrics went wrong. 2 weeks later it failed its MOT on broken subframe mounts. Then the water pump broke. I have just got the main and needle jet in the carburettor done and now the clutch has gone!! Those are the bad points. The good points are when it does actually work perfectly it is the best car in the world I can't imagine being without it."

Just like every awesome car, half the fun is guessing whether it will start the next morning - but holy hell is it awesome if it does! lol
    anyone's down for a B18B or B18c swap on one?

then i could DD drive it and call it Reliable?

My Ride
    an econo box

Is anybody else of the opinion that swapping the motor in a classic collector car with some modern Honda sacrilege?

My Ride

Originally posted by KrisYYC
    Is anybody else of the opinion that swapping the motor in a classic collector car with some modern Honda sacrilege?
    Somewhat. In my mind its almost like putting a honda motor in a harley - sure its more reliable but thats not the point. However, I'm sure the driving characteristics of the mini are so inspiring that it wouldnt matter what motor is in it, it'll still be a hoot.