Quantcast
speeding ticket goof up? does that make it void? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: speeding ticket goof up? does that make it void?

My Ride
    Acura CL

Default speeding ticket goof up? does that make it void?

Hi guys, if a speeding ticket has a crossed out mistake does that void the ticket?

heres the situation.

cop waved down the guy next to me and lasered him doing 71 trying to pass me and estimate i was doing 65 in a 50 zone. i was doing more around 10 over.

then on my ticket he marked laser and crossed it out and marked estimated. the crossed out mistake has no initials.

also heres a genral question about tickets.. do they usaully state the demerits charged on it? because this ticket has no box or anything saying demerits charged.

thanks for reading.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Pay up sucka.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

Originally posted by SJW
    Pay up sucka.
    you cruise, you lose
    (just made that up, no joke)
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Too Much HP / Too Little HP

Default Re: speeding ticket goof up? does that make it void?

Originally posted by wontonjohnny
    Hi guys, if a speeding ticket has a crossed out mistake does that void the ticket?

heres the situation.

cop waved down the guy next to me and lasered him doing 71 trying to pass me and estimate i was doing 65 in a 50 zone. i was doing more around 10 over.

then on my ticket he marked laser and crossed it out and marked estimated. the crossed out mistake has no initials.

also heres a genral question about tickets.. do they usaully state the demerits charged on it? because this ticket has no box or anything saying demerits charged.

thanks for reading.
    Tickets dont have demerits charged on them. should be 2 demerits for you.

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Default Re: speeding ticket goof up? does that make it void?

Originally posted by wontonjohnny

heres the situation.

thanks for reading.
    It will probably still hold up in court which I find funny as I drive tractor trailer and on any of my legal documents ( pretrip report, log book etc.) if I make a mistake and cross it out but do not initial it it will most definetly get me a couple hundred dollars fine for each time I do it.

I don't think that he needs to initial it but if you took it to court couldn't you just say he caught the wrong person and didn't actually know how fast you were going because of it? That sounds like something that would be easy to have thrown out.

My Ride
    Audi A4 Quattro

I dont know,
    Is a ticket a legal contract or document? You would think so and if thats the case any changes need an initial.
    If a client makes a change and then crosses it out and puts something else in they HAVE to initial otherwise its my mistake. So to reverse the roles for the officer you would think the same.

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by extm88
    I dont know,
    Is a ticket a legal contract or document? You would think so and if thats the case any changes need an initial.
    If a client makes a change and then crosses it out and puts something else in they HAVE to initial otherwise its my mistake. So to reverse the roles for the officer you would think the same.
    You would hope the officer is bound to the same rules as anybody else who does legal documents but I am sure he would likely just re write the ticket.

I'd just fight it on the basis speed was estimated.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

My Ride
    Cayman

Originally posted by tom_9109
    I'd just fight it on the basis speed was estimated.
    go fight the ticket and do what was posted here a few months ago. Throw a tennis ball across the court room and ask the cop how fast the ball was traveling

My Ride
    has three pedals.

I hate that estimated crap. I estimate he didn't estimate your correct speed.

My Ride
    2000 Civic SiR

It'll still hold up. As long as your DL number is correct, the officer is golden. And you can't see that on your copy of the ticket.

Also, maybe it's because I'm tired and missed something....but were you hit with the laser or no? If you were, you'd be on the laser log sheet, which is called out by the laser operator to the officer waving you in.

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by Trites
    It'll still hold up. As long as your DL number is correct, the officer is golden. And you can't see that on your copy of the ticket.

Also, maybe it's because I'm tired and missed something....but were you hit with the laser or no? If you were, you'd be on the laser log sheet, which is called out by the laser operator to the officer waving you in.
    The guy next to him got lasered but the cop also stopped him and gave him an "estimated" speed ticket. If the cop initialled on his copy of the ticket would it not be transferred to the drivers copy also as they are carbon copies? It really irks me that as a professional driver I could get hundreds or even thousands of dollars in fines for something as simple as not initialling a document but a police officer who should be held to an even higher level of profesionalism is not responsible for his mistakes.
    Last edited by johnboy27; 11-23-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Originally posted by johnboy27

The guy next to him got lasered but the cop also stopped him and gave him an "estimated" speed ticket. If the cop initialled on his copy of the ticket would it not be transferred to the drivers copy also as they are carbon copies? It really irks me that as a professional driver I could get hundreds or even thousands of dollars in fines for something as simple as not initialling a document but a police officer who should be held to an even higher level of profesionalism is not responsible for his mistakes.
    Because that section of the ticket doesn't form part of the charge, and are considered notes. That little bit is for your reference only, initials or not.