Quantcast
Why are the traffic lights in this city so poorly timed? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Why are the traffic lights in this city so poorly timed?

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Its funny how the private sector has technology that is so up to date. They have computers that can run robots its factories, computers that can extract fuels from deep down in the earth, and we fly all over space, but we have train that looks and feels like it was built in the early 1900's, our roads are so poorly maintained and built, and out traffic lights were designed by monkeys.

My Ride
    06 TL

16th Ave westbound after deerfoot is bad too. I'll be driving it at 10:30 pm on a weeknight, and the lights are turning red on me at "intersections" like 2nd Ave when there's not a car in sight...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Aleks

I could imagine the chaos that would insue if you allowed two cars to turn at the same time on a solid green. People can hardly handle driving in a straight line around here.
    I don't see how it would be any different from a single turn lane.

This brings up another point we were discussing at work the other day, why the hell doesn't the city paint dotted lines for dual left turning lanes , it would clear up a lot of confusion for the complete driving morons out there, who don't know what lane their supposed to be in.

You see these lines everywhere in the U.S. for dual turns, but not here of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    This brings up another point we were discussing at work the other day, why the hell doesn't the city paint dotted lines for dual left turning lanes , it would clear up a lot of confusion for the complete driving morons out there, who don't know what lane their supposed to be in.

You see these lines everywhere in the U.S. for dual turns, but not here of course.
    Why would they spend money on painting the roads and making the city safer when they can spend money on a pedestrian bridge that is required to increase capacity of foot traffic?

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

Originally posted by benyl
    Why would they spend money on painting the roads and making the city safer when they can spend money on a pedestrian bridge that is required to increase capacity of foot traffic?
    Man, you have no idea how often I'm gridlocked, standing on the sidewalk for half an hour because some asshole up front is holding everybody up, and no one has the good sense to walk around him.

We need dual carriageway sidewalks.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

Originally posted by TorqueDog
    Man, you have no idea how often I'm gridlocked, standing on the sidewalk for half an hour because some asshole up front is holding everybody up, and no one has the good sense to walk around him.

We need dual carriageway sidewalks.
    this is actually the norm in the University hallways haha

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

They do this up in Edmonton. It's actually quite handy when you are turning from a dual left turn onto a multi-lane road. I'm not sure if it would stop any confusion as people still choose to turn into any lane they feel like, but I would hope it would deter people from continuing their bad habits.

To the person that talked about cloverleafs...I remember reading on the City of Calgary website a while ago that they now construct "diamonds" - apparently cloverleafs are unsafe and take up too much space...which makes no sense to me considering not having a traffic light is probably safer than having two or three on a diamond.

I don't quite understand the point in spending so many millions of bucks to eliminate the traffic light on CHB and Beddington only to put like three traffic lights on Beddington and screwing over everyone who takes that road...unless those lights are temporary it just makes no sense to me. Same thing with Beddington/Stoney - just build it properly to begin with so people aren't forced to stop every 10 seconds because of a stupid traffic light.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Worst set of lights has to be turning left on Bannister road from shawnee by Fish Creek Station during off peak hours.

Its the only light i've ever ran in the city and refuse to wait for it, last time I timed 6 minutes before I ran it.

25th Avenue from Highfield Ave to Macleod Tr really pisses me off. The lights are all times to go red, so u get caught at every intersection. They also give the city maintenance yard priority. The city should have a sensor in thier yard, its rediculous to wait for that light to turn green at 2am when there is noone around.

Another one is the light on top of the intersection of Southland Dr coming off northbound Deerfoot. It is always red, and so is the one for southbound deerfoot. I always get caught on both lights...
    Last edited by RY213; 11-25-2009 at 09:28 PM.

I always thought Calgary had great light timing. I always seem to get the "wave" but that might just be lucky that I take certain routes all the time. There is no such thing as a "green wave" in Toronto at all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3