Quantcast
What have I missed? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What have I missed?

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Question What have I missed?

I'm looking at getting a new car in the spring, so I'm compiling a list of the models I want to take for a test drive into a database to help keep my impressions all nice and orderly. I'm mainly looking at sports sedans and coupes, I'm not interested so much in convertibles. I'm looking at a max price of the low $50k mark (not including GST etc). I've got the following cars on my list, and am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions to add. Keep in mind this is new cars only, I don't care that I could buy a used car for less and dump cash into it for mods. I have another car for that, this car is a daily driver and must have a warranty. I have enough to do keeping the mustang going for track days without having to mess around with my daily driver as well.

The list is as follows:

Nissan 350Z
    Nissan Maxima
    Infiniti G35 Sedan
    Mazda RX-8
    Mazda 6
    Lexus IS300
    Subaru Impreza STi
    BMW 330ci Coupe
    Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Coupe
    Acura TL
    Acura TSX
    Audi A4 Quattro Sedan
    Pontiac GTO (if available in canada, might not be)
    Volkswagen Passat
    Mercury Marauder
    Last edited by 4wheeldrift; 11-11-2003 at 06:06 PM.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

acura tsx?

My Ride

What's the difference between the TSX and the TL? I'm not super familiar with the new acura models.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

TSX is the euro accord. Fairly cheap in price for what you get, leather everything, Nav, etc.. It's one step under the TL.

The new TL looks really nice though .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Interesting. Added to the list.

My Ride
    NC1

Wow, talk about quite the extensive list to test drive. lol
    BMW 330 Coupe is a good one.
    You don't want coupes but yet have four on the list
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride

Originally posted by max_boost

Wow, talk about quite the extensive list to test drive. lol
    BMW 330 Coupe is a good one.

You don't want coupes but yet have four on the list
    I'm gonna be a busy boy in the spring But I want to get a car that I'm going to enjoy driving for the next 5 or so years, so I figure the best thing I can do is try everything that looks even remotely interesting to drive and take it for a spin. I'm not interested in convertible sports cars (S2000, Miata, etc) but I don't mind sport coupes and sedans.

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Buy a poor mans porsche, 2002 boxter. Nice car list though. Personally if the 350Z was on my list I would wait for the Vert coupe.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

BMW 330 Ci - really good!! my buddys mom has one and its sick!

My Ride

Originally posted by Primer_Drift
    Buy a poor mans porsche, 2002 boxter. Nice car list though. Personally if the 350Z was on my list I would wait for the Vert coupe.
    I wouldn't touch a base boxster if my life depended on it I want a sporty car. But seriously, I'm not looking for a convertible at all, so that scratches the boxster from list before i even start, never mind the fact that its about $10k more than I want to spend.

My Ride
    NC1

Good thing about Euros, first three years of service is paid for. I believe this is for the BMW's and Audi's. Encompasses most stuff except wear and tear items, I'm still pissed that I had to pay $800 for new brakes on my 323 last year. That seriously did it for me on Euro cars, Japanese all the way! hehe

I love my RSX and it's a great daily driver but you are looking to spend more. My next target car would probably be a used IS300 but for you, STi is the best compromise everything considered.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride

Originally posted by max_boost
    My next target car would probably be a used IS300 but for you, STi is the best compromise everything considered.
    Honestly, I think I'm probably going to end up in an STi as well, but I figure it can't hurt me to give some other vehicles a chance. You never know when you're going to find a vheicle you really enjoying driving from a manufacturer you hadn't really considered before. Besides, it gives me a chance to test drive a ton of cars

My Ride
    GTI

Stay away from the C230 coupe, if you want a mercedes get something else, I don't think you'd be happy with this looking at the other cars on the list. If you're tall I'd stay away from the IS300 as well, I've never been so cramped in my life, interior is tiny. Even with the drivers seat pushed all the way back there isn't much room.

350Z convertable is already out, and it's very ugly, me and my buddy took some video of it, maybe I'll post it later, nasty looking car, very awkward.

How about a Volvo S60R?

My Ride

Originally posted by Hakkola
    Stay away from the C230 coupe, if you want a mercedes get something else, I don't think you'd be happy with this looking at the other cars on the list. If you're tall I'd stay away from the IS300 as well, I've never been so cramped in my life, interior is tiny. Even with the drivers seat pushed all the way back there isn't much room.
    I'll make note of that. Being 6'-2", headroom is an important consideration for me.

Originally posted by Hakkola

How about a Volvo S60R?
    Unfortunately a bit more money than I want to spend, but an extremely intersting looking machine (statistics wise I mean).
    Last edited by 4wheeldrift; 11-11-2003 at 03:45 PM.

I would be very surprised if after driving all those cars you didn't walk away with a G35 coupe or sedan. For daily driver plus fun to drive nothing else on that list will come close IMO. I havent driven an STi but would assume that it's suspension would leave a lot to be desired on our rough calgary roads. Good luck on your search!
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride

Anyone have anything to say about Saab? The 9-3 is certainly a nice looking car, but I've heard lots of people have problems with them, and the handling is rather lacklustre.

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

you missed the SRT-4...cheapest and an awesome platform with up to 400hp engine UNDER WARRANTY with the Mopar stage 4 kit for it!

I see every car on your list has the ability to come with a manual transmission

Personally, I would either wait until the new Volvo S40 comes out (T5 AWD model ) or wait to get a used S60R.

I am rather fond of the 9-5 aero. New ones are actually more expensive than a Volvo S60R, but they lose thier value extremely fast, there's 00s going for 20 grand in Ontario. As for the 9-3, are you talking about the old GM900 or the new epsilon platform? I had heard handling was pretty good. No reports of reliability yet. Another thing you may want to wait for is the SAAB 9-2, which will essentially be a luxury WRX.

Have you maybe considered a Subaru Forester Turbo or Baja Turbo? Those things move. What about a Mitsu Evo... and are we getting the R32 Golf here?

Anyway, from your list, I'd go with the STi, the G35 or the A4... the new TL is pretty fucking nice though too... Though front drive.

Hehehe, if you want to wait really long the 05 Subaru Legacy is supposed to have 280 HP
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride

Originally posted by rice_eater
    you missed the SRT-4...cheapest and an awesome platform with up to 400hp engine UNDER WARRANTY with the Mopar stage 4 kit for it!
    While the SRT-4 might be an interesting ride, I would put a bullet in my head before i dealt with a chrysler service department (and yes, for the first few years the car would be dealer serviced).

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I saw the new Passat with the W8 engine it it. It's looks really tight. May not be what you are looking for, but it could be a good drive....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast