Quantcast
Quick question about an incident at a mechanic shop! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quick question about an incident at a mechanic shop!

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

1. Put your foot on the brake before starting your car.
    2. Always leave your car in gear when you turn it off unless you're using the starter.
    3. If you're going to leave your car in gear, use reverse, not first. It's a stronger gear.
    4. Before you start your car, always put it in neutral.

If the shop had put the handbrake up and it was some woman that never uses the handbrake and she drove all the way home with it on, they'd have other problems so that's probably why they don't do it. The fact you do it differently is not their problem.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Originally posted by Mar
    3. If you're going to leave your car in gear, use reverse, not first. It's a stronger gear.
    You leave it in a gear that is going the opposite direction that your car will roll. If your car is face up on a steep hill and you put it in reverse I guarantee gravity will prove that it can turn your crank. Anybody who's push-started a car knows just how easy it is to roll them forward in 1st gear and reverse isn't much different.

If you're on a relatively level surface you assess the situation and choose the least expensive object to run in to. Curbs are high priority, Bentley's are low priority. Simple logic.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

hahaha
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by scat19

Remote starters aren't made for the car guy driving a 6spd. They are made for girls who hate getting into a cold automatic and afraid a nail will break.
    are you serious? Only girls can have car starters? Call me a bitch then cause i'd do anything to have a car starter on my truck. Car starters are the bomb, its not about being a girl, its about not wanting to sit in your vehicle while it warms up.
    i LOVE car starters.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Mibz
    You leave it in a gear that is going the opposite direction that your car will roll. If your car is face up on a steep hill and you put it in reverse I guarantee gravity will prove that it can turn your crank. Anybody who's push-started a car knows just how easy it is to roll them forward in 1st gear and reverse isn't much different.

If you're on a relatively level surface you assess the situation and choose the least expensive object to run in to. Curbs are high priority, Bentley's are low priority. Simple logic.
    I don't think the crank will go any easier in any direction, I can drive backwards, put the car in first gear and the crank will keep going in reverse just as easily as if I had put the shifter in reverse. It's a stronger gear, regardless of which way it's used to rotating.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Audi

Trying to find a way to blame someone else when you fuck up. That's how society works nowadays.

Originally posted by JfuckinC

are you serious? Only girls can have car starters? Call me a bitch then cause i'd do anything to have a car starter on my truck. Car starters are the bomb, its not about being a girl, its about not wanting to sit in your vehicle while it warms up.
    i LOVE car starters.
    Only scat19 would think that scraping an icey windshield is manly. Insert mandatory tinted windshield joke here.

I admit it's great on a day it's -40. Warm car, don't have to scrape windshield or any of the windows. I also use it in the summer. +40 day, A/C left on MAX and i don't have to deal with burning hot leather.

My Ride
    Z

Originally posted by Mar
    1. Put your foot on the brake before starting your car.
    2. Always leave your car in gear when you turn it off unless you're using the starter.
    4. Before you start your car, always put it in neutral.

If the shop had put the handbrake up and it was some woman that never uses the handbrake and she drove all the way home with it on, they'd have other problems so that's probably why they don't do it. The fact you do it differently is not their problem.
    For the Op you should put number 1 as "adjust your seat."

My Ride
    Busa

Originally posted by Mar

I don't think the crank will go any easier in any direction, I can drive backwards, put the car in first gear and the crank will keep going in reverse just as easily as if I had put the shifter in reverse. It's a stronger gear, regardless of which way it's used to rotating.
    This is mostly true. Reverse is usually a shorter gear than first, so it is "stronger" when used for parking. Only downside is that many cars will not disengage the reverse lockout solenoid/mechanism if the ignition is not on.

Also, the crank turns the same direction, regardless of whether the transmission is in first or reverse. An idler gear in the transmission reverses the rotational direction of the output shaft when reverse is selected.

My Ride
    240sx sr20

you should not be driving a manual ..

My Ride
    66 Accord

I always put my feet on the clutch and brake before turning the key. Then make sure I work the shifter before removing either of my feet. I usually put the handbrake down at the same time a stomp on the brakes.

Simple I think...

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by narou
    I always put my feet on the clutch and brake before turning the key. Then make sure I work the shifter before removing either of my feet. I usually put the handbrake down at the same time a stomp on the brakes.

Simple I think...
    have not had a manual car lurch forward on me since my second time driving one in 2004

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Originally posted by JfuckinC

i LOVE car starters.
    Okay, so your warming up your engine... Your transmission is not warm, your differential is not warm. Letting your car just idle is not good for it in the cold temperatures - you should drive away almost immediately after turning it on and stay at a constant rpms - 1500-2500.

Originally posted by hampstor
    Only scat19 would think that scraping an icey windshield is manly. Insert mandatory tinted windshield joke here.

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

Also, the crank turns the same direction, regardless of whether the transmission is in first or reverse. An idler gear in the transmission reverses the rotational direction of the output shaft when reverse is selected.
    So, if you put your car in reverse, then push it forward the crankshaft turns the same direction as if it were in first gear? I think not.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

OP, yes its your fault...

Everybody else in this thread making fun of him; are you fucking joking me? Your all telling me you've never done this before? OP was just unlucky that he was so close to the door. Man beyond is always going to be full of douches... way to make the guy feel like he should slit his wrists.

My Ride
    2004 DSG Mustang GT

It is your fault, but it is their problem, and they have to pay for it.

If you were a mature man (which obviously you're not...) you'd pony of the prices of repairing the sheet metal and move on. But because -you- were driving in -their- bay, it's their problem. This is why drive up oil change places make you park your car first, and they move it in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2