Quantcast
More layoff in Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: More layoff in Calgary

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

Default More layoff in Calgary

http://www.660news.com/more.jsp?cont...02_132446_9496

Nothing new, but hope no one here is affected by it.....

Last edited by KLCC; 12-02-2009 at 01:38 PM.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

My view is there laying off the people that were hired a few years ago when they needed people so bad that they would hire anyone. The tech community s one of these area's. I worked with people that had no idea about computers and got jobs, so now there being laid off.

Default Re: More layoff in Calgary

Originally posted by KLCC
    http://www.660news.com/more.jsp?cont...02_132446_9496

Nothing new, but hope no one here is affected by it.....

It affects anyone in Oil and Gas that is currently unemployed. That includes me and almost all my friends. Unemployment in oil and gas is astronomical right now. The numbers don’t tell the story because %99 of the people working in Calgary are contractors that still take a salary from their company savings and even if they’re broke they don’t file for unemployment. It sucks hard right now :\

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Default Re: Re: More layoff in Calgary

Originally posted by BigMass

It affects anyone in Oil and Gas that is currently unemployed. That includes me and almost all my friends. Unemployment in oil and gas is astronomical right now. The numbers don’t tell the story because %99 of the people working in Calgary are contractors that still take a salary from their company savings and even if they’re broke they don’t file for unemployment. It sucks hard right now :\
    I wonder though out of all these people how many have lived in Calgary for over 6-7 years. Also how many of these are fresh out of school in the last 2-4 years.

So many people including myself moved to Calgary from another city/town to fill in the work shortage. Now these people are getting laid off. I was laid off for 2 months and found a job right away and im sure I could have found a job quicker, but I was a bit picky. If I couldent find a job and couldent afford to live in a more expensive city I woul move back to where I came from and work at my old job. Yes its a step back, but atleast im working.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's nothing new. A small company I worked for a decade ago just laid off 1/5 of their IT dept.

The reason they are laying off so many people is because TLM is going for unconventional gas and trying to move out of the conventional stuff. So basically it's just a big restructuring. They laid off new people as well as people with 20+ years of experience. It sucks. I think about 50% of the contractors are gone and about 15% of the people in the calgary office are gone. We'll see how the distribution of work goes. Maybe more work for everyone that is remaining, but no increase in salary?

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

Originally posted by Xtrema
    It's nothing new. A small company I worked for a decade ago just laid off 1/5 of their IT dept.

i wouldnt consider talisman a small company
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    93 integra

That sucks for those involved for sure. Lay offs suck so much.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by dezmarez

i wouldnt consider talisman a small company
    I wasn't talking about Talisman, I said "A small company" in O&G with roughly 600 staff.

My Ride
    Silverado

my good friend is a technologist with talisman, he definitely did not get a raise while he has been working until atleast 6 at night now

Heard about this yesterday and going to make some calls to some folks I know over there.... not good.

This is a huge contrast to a company like Encana that is heading strictly intp the pure play unconventional arena and just added 10% to all full time employees' bonuses this yr., & have gone on the record stating there will be no layoffs over there.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Jetsons
    This is a huge contrast to a company like Encana that is heading strictly intp the pure play unconventional arena and just added 10% to all full time employees' bonuses this yr., & have gone on the record stating there will be no layoffs over there.
    Encana is special case this year because they are going for the split which mean they need to retain staff.

Once split is done, deny it all the management want, one of the 2, probably Encana, will be bought out by one of the big multinationals within 1-3 years.

It's all speculation. I have heard rumors about a takeover by PetroChina, an ECA acquisition of another unnamed resource play company.... no one knows. Not really worth talking about it.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-15-2019 at 12:55 PM.