Quantcast
How to peel off windows tint - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How to peel off windows tint

Default How to peel off windows tint

What's the easiest way to peel off window tints. I just got a ticket for the my front window tints. I plan to go to the traffic attorney. I was wondering if I can get my fine reduced if I peelled off my tint. Also how do I prove to him that I have already peeled off my tint on my windows. Thanks.

My Ride
    FG, S14, Caliber SRT4

warm up your window( blow dryer) and peel starting at one corner. It should just peel of in one piece. then you take a razor blade and glass cleaner to scrape off the glue

I'm pretty sure they would take the cop's word over yours. Basically you'd be calling the cop a liar if you told them you didn't have tint.

You might be able to get the fine reduced if you just ask them nicely...

About the tint, I'm not too sure... Myabe try a hair dryer or heat gun? It might come off with some heat...

My Ride
    V8 Toy

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of car were you driving??

The reason why I ask is that they don't normally don't pull over non-racing non-riced out cars. I've seen alot of regular cars that do have front tinted windows and its been like a senior driving.

How much was the ticket for???
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

A cop once allowed a friend of mine to pull the tint right of the window and then didn't issue a ticket. The best way to get rid of the glue is with "goo gone" a razor blade takes for ever. If your cheap and don't want to buy that, use can use gasoline but be very careful...
    Autosignature

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

WTF !! Gasoline????? way too smelly and messy concidering windex does the same thing. Shit hot soapy water will do the trick as long as your not removing tint in minus 20 weather all you need is a razor blade and windex. Peel the tint, soak the window with windex, and scrape away. Each window only took me 5 minutes. I imagine you are only removing driver and passenger tint, but if you are ever removing tint from a rear window, you MUST use very fine grade steel wool. The trick is you have to be super gentle around the defrost lines. If you over scrub you can render them useless by breaking the connection. Good luck.
    Last edited by Kona9; 11-22-2003 at 12:00 PM.
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    91 MR2 turbo

you can prove to them that u peeled it off by taking pictures of your car of before and after.

My Ride
    TECHART & Misha Design

took me prolly a total of 20 hrs to remove all the glue from the window's that my tint left behind. I was using this industrial glue remover that we use to take graphic's off cars...it smells like oranges, and then scrubbing with an SOS pad. Did the trick but took fuggin forever, don't know if Supertint uses Superglue or something but it was rediculous.

Well as matter of fact, I guess I do drive a rice car. But I don't see a problem with that.

So looks like now is not the weather to peel off my tint then eh... I would really like to have it done as soon as possible.

My Ride
    996 911 Turbo

Isn't the fine like $25?? I had about 6 of them in couple years on my last car. $25 not a big deal considering the cost of tint.

edit: Or do what I did. Find some glass at wrecker (if its older car) and replace. Cost me $40 for both sides. Had to go to the station to show them that I took it off (long story) and the cop actually said that I did a good job but missed a couple spots of glue
    Last edited by maximus; 11-22-2003 at 04:56 PM.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

The fine is up to around 60 now I think. I have a jetta, non-riced and I've been pulled over twice solely for tint. I really don't have a lot of sympathy for cops crying they're "So Busy" when they have time to have tint stings...

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    88 solownoma

to take off the glue use glue be gone or the goof off stuff you can find at crappy tire or brake cleaner works REALLY good just use some windex after

My Ride
    '05 Legacy GT

Originally posted by Paul
    took me prolly a total of 20 hrs to remove all the glue from the window's that my tint left behind. I was using this industrial glue remover that we use to take graphic's off cars...it smells like oranges, and then scrubbing with an SOS pad. Did the trick but took fuggin forever, don't know if Supertint uses Superglue or something but it was rediculous.
    Took me about 3 days to do mine as well....probably totally 12 hours. I hear varying amounts of time for different people. I think it depends how the tint was installed and what glue was used. I used windex and some soapy water. I tried a bunch of other house cleaning products but windex and/or soapy water seemed to work the best for my situation. wish I woulda tried the hair dryer thing..wonder if it woulda worked in my situation a bit quicker.

Tuner1 is offline Tunerworks Guru (E36S50B32)
    My Ride
    ///MPower, 4x4, Bianchi & Trek

Best method for removing the sticky/gummy crap the tint leaves behind...Oven Cleaner it works!

Rob
    www.tunerworks.com

My Ride
    Cayenne TT

Originally posted by E36S50B32
    Best method for removing the sticky/gummy crap the tint leaves behind...Oven Cleaner it works!

Careful about the fumes! hahaha...

Removing the glue isn't that hard if you have the right tools, all you need is the proper stripper and a razor blade...

you can also use a product called "goo gone" (available at any paint or hardware store) which will work but you kinda need to let it soak abit on the glue before scrapping your glass!