Quantcast
Instrumentation Engineering Technologist - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Instrumentation Engineering Technologist

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Instrumentation Engineering Technologist

Well, as the end of my 3rd term approaches, I'm beginning to think I should be starting to look for a job, or at the very least meet some people in the instrumentation field.

I do know quite a few folks at various plants in central Alberta, but I haven't heard anybody really give a good story on what they did with their technology diploma in instrumentation versus what a normal apprentice/journeyman technician would do.

Is there anybody on Beyond that has some instrumentation experiences they could share? Or some suggestions as I come out of the final semester next year? My grades are quite strong (4.0, 3.8, probably a 3.6 this term), I am fairly mechanically inclined, and I would like to think I get along decently enough with others.

Any insight/thoughts/opinions/stories/experiences would be appreciated!

My Ride
    car

The job market for instrumentation tech's right now is pretty slim. I myself am a 3rd year apprentice. Finding a job in the city or in red deer would be hard for a recent grad without field or work experience. Expect to work up north like fox creek, peace river, places closer to red deer would be like rocky mountain house ect. basically u will have to move to places that most ppl do not want to relocate to. Even then there isn't a high demand for inst tech's right now as there are no major projects/construction going on. Basically inst companies are just looking for 1 or 2 guys to do maintenance work, which normally requires at least a few years of field experience to get the job. Same goes for eng offices, with all the recent layoffs, they are only looking for the senior exp ppl. I know this doesn't sound good but alot of ppl in the industry are feeling the same problems right now.

You're screwed, at least for now. Try to get on with an electrical company as a first year apprentice bending pipe. Pays around $16/hour starting out in Red Deer, slightly more in Calgary.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Van Persie
    You're screwed, at least for now. Try to get on with an electrical company as a first year apprentice bending pipe. Pays around $16/hour starting out in Red Deer, slightly more in Calgary.
    I was really, REALLY hoping to do something more instrumentation/technology related than bending pipe, especially for $16/h, as I have a job with the City of Red Deer for $22/h if I need it. I know I have to pay my dues, but ouch, is it really looking that bad? I'm in no hurry to get a job (preferably by the end of August 2010, in the meantime I can work at the city as a summer employee). I would much rather acquire a quality job IF I can (which I might not be able to), and entered into instrumentation to begin with in hopes of looking at the design side of things. Probably pie-in-the-sky fantasy

Keep applying everywhere, you never know. Your best bet is to get on with an electrical company that do PLC work and go from there. Unfortunately, they'll probably have you roughing in basements or bending pipe if you're lucky enough. It is a very tough market out there right now. Had you graduated two years ago, you could have had your pick of jobs.

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

this is a gay job... go find something else.. aka... msp eric
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by ninspeed
    Seems more interesting than mechanical engineering technology After withdrawing from my first year of engineering, this seemed a good road to take, offers both hands on and "design" work with the proper experience. Many paths to take. I could never see myself being any sort of financial/accounting person, so I took it and ran with it.

Could you expand on your statement?

Default tech

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Seems more interesting than mechanical engineering technology After withdrawing from my first year of engineering, this seemed a good road to take, offers both hands on and "design" work with the proper experience. Many paths to take. I could never see myself being any sort of financial/accounting person, so I took it and ran with it.

Who cares what he thinks. If you enjoy what you're doing, you'll be just fine. I'm not exactly in instrumentation, but i was taking a few DCS courses at sait, and there were some technologists there. From what i hear, they really like their job, and it pays well. I'd say look around for any electrical jobs at first, and get a bit of experience before you can be picky. From my field, i see you having good chance in finding jobs in electrical panel wiring for PLCs. It'll give you really good experience.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Heh, My mechanical engineering technology diploma program included a few insturmentation courses, and I enjoyed them very much. But I was sure I was making the right call staying with eng because of the better job market.

And here I am saying that, 8 months of unemployment later..
    dv/dt

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by ZiG-87

Heh, My mechanical engineering technology diploma program included a few insturmentation courses, and I enjoyed them very much. But I was sure I was making the right call staying with eng because of the better job market.

And here I am saying that, 8 months of unemployment later..
    Was totally not dumping on mechanical technology, if thats what you got out of my post! I was just saying I found it more interesting... considering I was in engineering for my mechanical engineering degree, I hardly see it as a bad job.

Sorry to hear about the joblessness

Oh, no, I didnt think you were dumping on it, I'm just kind of amused about how I liked instrumentation so much but decided on mech, and now here I am. heh.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by ninspeed
    LOL did you get stuck bending tube or something? IMO it's a pretty varied field as there's pressure, flow, temperature, analytical, control systems, programming, communications, electrical, etc. I've done everything from apprentice at Shell, Imperial Oil plants, control panel manufacturing & service, sales, programming, project integration, engineering, etc.

I used to be a 3rd class operator now that's a boring job unless you get to move around at a large plant.