Quantcast
Another what to buy thread... with a twist - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Another what to buy thread... with a twist

Default Another what to buy thread... with a twist

Hey beyond,

As many of you have heard there was a huge fire in Citidel over the weekend that took out 5 houses completley. My In-law's house was the last one to get completely destroyed.

The insurance guys came today and told my inlaws that most things in the house will be covered but they are not going to pay for my sister-in-laws car that was in the garage because she doesn't have fire on her auto policy. Either way, she has been left without a car and no money to replace it.

She is going to the bank tomorrow to try and get her line of credit increased so that she can have some way to get to work and around.

She is looking for something around the $5000 range and the only way she would go much higher (up to $10000) is if she could get a mini becasue she has always wanted one.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to some fun not so boring cars that I could show her? I really feel she needs something that will make her happy becasue she litrally lost everything to her name.

So lets hear it...

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Home insurance would cover the car which was in the garage shouldnt it? I can't think of a car in the $5,000 range that would be exciting enough to make her forget about her house burning down.

My Ride
    09 WRX

Originally posted by funkedelic2
    Home insurance would cover the car which was in the garage shouldnt it? I can't think of a car in the $5,000 range that would be exciting enough to make her forget about her house burning down.
    Exactly, a car, or any material possesion that can be purchased is not gonna bring back any of her sentimentally valued posessions she lost.

My Ride
    Lease

Sunfire GT, younger chicks usually dig them

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Home insurance would cover the car which was in the garage shouldnt it?
    Yah home insurance should cover this.

Originally posted by 94boosted

Yah home insurance should cover this.
    You would think it should but we asked 3 times and they keep saying they are not going to cover it. I know it won't make her forget but I just want her to have something that makes her happy when she sees it and realizes that it is her's.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Home insurance would cover the car which was in the garage shouldnt it?

Nope, absolutely not. Home insurance also would not cover things like quads, RV's, motorcycles, etc. Any motor vehicle is automatically excluded under the homeowner policy. There is a concept in insurance that says anything better insured elsewhere is excluded. Since you can buy regular car insurance (including fire), it's excluded.

Now oddly enough, if you are doing a build and have a bunch of parts lying around, those would be covered as they are not part of the vehicle (yet).
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    AE86

Probably pick up a very decent civic ek sedan for that money

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Nope, absolutely not. Home insurance also would not cover things like quads, RV's, motorcycles, etc. Any motor vehicle is automatically excluded under the homeowner policy. There is a concept in insurance that says anything better insured elsewhere is excluded. Since you can buy regular car insurance (including fire), it's excluded.

Now oddly enough, if you are doing a build and have a bunch of parts lying around, those would be covered as they are not part of the vehicle (yet).
    Would it cover anything that was in the car? like a laptop. ipod, camera etc? Actually, when I had my car broken into on the street in front of my house, my home insurance (not auto) said they would cover the Deck, Subwoofer/box, amp, CDs and sunglasses that were stolen. It's seems to be a weird line to draw.

My Ride
    2004 DSG Mustang GT

I would say get a lawyer consult and see if she has a case against the insurance company. Or go after the insurance company of the family / property owners who's house / property started fire and claim property damage.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by core_upt

Would it cover anything that was in the car? like a laptop. ipod, camera etc? Actually, when I had my car broken into on the street in front of my house, my home insurance (not auto) said they would cover the Deck, Subwoofer/box, amp, CDs and sunglasses that were stolen. It's seems to be a weird line to draw.

Yes, the contents of the vehicle would be covered as they would go under the house policy regardless of the reason for claim.

The deck / woofer / amp is kind of weird. Usually stereo items are considered part of the car as they are physically attached to the vehicle where as the CDs and sunglasses are just sitting there.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

I would suggest the new Chrysler Sebring Convertible.

My Ride
    93 integra

Originally posted by mephesto
    I would suggest the new Chrysler Sebring Convertible.
    fuck you're annoying. Chrysler has never ever had a good vehicle. Stop trolling with your chrysler shit.

And for under 5g's there should be plenty of sporty fun cars out there.

Good shape 240 maybe, Supra (older)...For something newer. Maybe a Grand Prix coupe. If her budget ends up being more then maybe look south of the border for a mini.