Quantcast
School in Sweden, Norway, etc.- Experiences - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: School in Sweden, Norway, etc.- Experiences

My Ride
    firebird

Default School in Sweden, Norway, etc.- Experiences

I'm thinking of going to do a masters degree in Sweden as the tuition is virtually $0 and I am need of a cultural change. Does anyone have any experiences about living / working / studying there that they can share?

I will have to write the GMAT and save for living expenses, but that is really about it in terms of arrangements to make.

And post pics of your favorite 'things' as well.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    GTI

Women are great, night life is spectacular, Schools are not only free but on average probably ranked higher than most the Canadian schools, and there are a lot of schools to choose from.

Last edited by kaput; 04-03-2019 at 06:53 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by kaput
    Free? Do you have dual citizenship?
    Yeah. How is it free if you're a Canadian student?...

there are currently $0 in tuition fees charges in Sweden (and some other countries). You still have to pay for books, plus all living expenses and there are no scholarships available to anyone outside of the European Higher Education Area.

You also need to have at least $9,800USD in your bank account prior to arriving and be able to show that you do - they don't want people mooching off their system (aside from the free education).

I have not gone but am submitting an application to a few Masters programs for next year.

Tuition may be introduced in 2011 in Sweded - most other Euro countries already have. I think Denmark and Norway are free as well (for now).

Originally posted by Hakkola
    Women are great, night life is spectacular, Schools are not only free but on average probably ranked higher than most the Canadian schools, and there are a lot of schools to choose from.
    Women are great and night life is probably spectacular...but where do you get the idea that Swedish schools are ranked higher or better than Canadian schools...Canadian schools are well known to be relatively cheap and rigorous. This is one reason why so many foreign students choose Canada to do their undergrad/masters before going on into PhD's in U.S/U.K.

If you just look at the Times higher education ranking and compare Canada and Sweden ... its not even close.

Top 200 world universities - Canada

Mcgill - 18
    U of T- 29
    UBC - 40
    U of A-59
    U of M -107
    U of W - 113
    Queens - 118
    Mcmaster - 143
    Univ. Calgary - 149
    UWO - 151
    SFU - 196

Top 200 world Universities - Sweden

Lund University - 67
    Uppsala University - 75
    Royal Institute of Tech.- 174
    Univ Gothenberg - 185
    Chalmers university - 198

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by kaput
    Free? Do you have dual citizenship?
    Originally posted by flipstah

Yeah. How is it free if you're a Canadian student?...
    Yah I was suprised too, but that is the way it is.

Originally posted by core_upt
    there are currently $0 in tuition fees charges in Sweden (and some other countries). You still have to pay for books, plus all living expenses and there are no scholarships available to anyone outside of the European Higher Education Area.

You also need to have at least $9,800USD in your bank account prior to arriving and be able to show that you do - they don't want people mooching off their system (aside from the free education).

I have not gone but am submitting an application to a few Masters programs for next year.

Tuition may be introduced in 2011 in Sweded - most other Euro countries already have. I think Denmark and Norway are free as well (for now).
    I hope this does not happen. What schools / programs are you applying to?

Originally posted by PepsiCola

Women are great and night life is probably spectacular...but where do you get the idea that Swedish schools are ranked higher or better than Canadian schools...Canadian schools are well known to be relatively cheap and rigorous. This is one reason why so many foreign students choose Canada to do their undergrad/masters before going on into PhD's in U.S/U.K.

If you just look at the Times higher education ranking and compare Canada and Sweden ... its not even close.

Top 200 world universities - Canada

Mcgill - 18
    U of T- 29
    UBC - 40
    U of A-59
    U of M -107
    U of W - 113
    Queens - 118
    Mcmaster - 143
    Univ. Calgary - 149
    UWO - 151
    SFU - 196

Top 200 world Universities - Sweden

Lund University - 67
    Uppsala University - 75
    Royal Institute of Tech.- 174
    Univ Gothenberg - 185
    Chalmers university - 198
    Stockholm School of Economics is ranked #11 in europe for business masters programs

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...chool-rankings
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    firebird

Also, can you work there while being a resident to earn some $$?
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

Whats cost of living like there? I can only imagine its cheaper than Calgary but how much cheaper? When I finish my degree I think school in Europe would be sweet.
    Arguing over the internet is like cheering on the Oilers. Win or lose, you're still a dumbass.

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    you mack daddy

Originally posted by mowglee
    Whats cost of living like there? I can only imagine its cheaper than Calgary but how much cheaper? When I finish my degree I think school in Europe would be sweet.
    Try way more expensive.

My Ride
    GTI

LOL at living expenses being cheaper.

Originally posted by PepsiCola

Women are great and night life is probably spectacular...but where do you get the idea that Swedish schools are ranked higher or better than Canadian schools...
    I looked up the list before I commented, must have been paying too much attention to Nordic countries.

Free in Finland as well, even if you're not a citizen.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...chool-rankings

Helsinki school of economics is 18.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 12-10-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Cost way more to live in Europe. For example, we'll use the best metric for students: Cost of beer

Cost of beer in sweden= ~4-5 euros, with the current exchange rate that's 6-8 dollars. (pint of beer in new york city was around 7CDN last time i was there)

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by Ebon

Cost of beer in sweden= ~4-5 euros, with the current exchange rate that's 6-8 dollars. (pint of beer in new york city was around 7CDN last time i was there)
    Probably not the best indicator due to liquor taxes varying from country to country.

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

I lived in Copenhagen and went to school at Copenhagen Business School. I took a ton of their masters' classes and now I'm back working in Canada. My experience was AMAZING! The women were crazy, but I hope you have a good load of cash sitting around.

Without paying for my school:

1) Books were not cheap
    2) My apartment just outside the downtown core was $4800 DKK for a 5 bedroom shared unit with Copenhagen Students.
    3) Food is FUCKING expensive and I lived like a bum
    4) Booze is cheap from the market IE: 72 bottles or Carlsberg or Tuborg were only 99 DKK plus deposit...That is around $20 CAD when I lived there.
    5) Women were fucking awesome, and sooooooo sexy! My school was honestly a fashion show with tall busty blondes.
    6) School was honestly a joke. My finals tended to be 100%, but the kicker was that you can openly drink in class, or anywhere in public for that matter. You use to be able to smoke in class and they just got rid of that in the past 1.5 yrs.

All in All. I think if you budget around 13,000 Canadian per/ term you'll be okay....

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Originally posted by Ebon
    Cost way more to live in Europe. For example, we'll use the best metric for students: Cost of beer

Have you ever drank in Vienna or smaller cities in Europe..... Vienna was balls cheap for booze..I don't think that is the best indicator...

My Ride
    TL

ah i wouldn't worry too much about the ranking system, unless its for an ivy league school. besides that, the culture would be amazing! do it if you have the money

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by 7thgenvic
    I lived in Copenhagen and went to school at Copenhagen Business School. I took a ton of their masters' classes and now I'm back working in Canada. My experience was AMAZING! The women were crazy, but I hope you have a good load of cash sitting around.

Without paying for my school:

1) Books were not cheap
    2) My apartment just outside the downtown core was $4800 DKK for a 5 bedroom shared unit with Copenhagen Students.
    3) Food is FUCKING expensive and I lived like a bum
    4) Booze is cheap from the market IE: 72 bottles or Carlsberg or Tuborg were only 99 DKK plus deposit...That is around $20 CAD when I lived there.
    5) Women were fucking awesome, and sooooooo sexy! My school was honestly a fashion show with tall busty blondes.
    6) School was honestly a joke. My finals tended to be 100%, but the kicker was that you can openly drink in class, or anywhere in public for that matter. You use to be able to smoke in class and they just got rid of that in the past 1.5 yrs.

All in All. I think if you budget around 13,000 Canadian per/ term you'll be okay....
    This is what I like to hear. Are the people / woman receptive to Canadians or do they think we are like Americans?

Originally posted by dandia89
    ah i wouldn't worry too much about the ranking system, unless its for an ivy league school. besides that, the culture would be amazing! do it if you have the money
    I'm not too concerned about the ranking as I'll likely not gain much more knowledge about business than I already have. I am looking for a 'cultural' experience more than anything. I'm sick of oil and gas and Ed Hardy as a culture here for the time being.
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by Mckenzie

This is what I like to hear. Are the people / woman receptive to Canadians or do they think we are like Americans?

They won't think of you as American, they like Canadians.

My Ride
    '04 330CI, '05 RM 250

Im thinking of doing my last semester in Norway or Sweden. Any further comments or tips would be much appreciated. Has anyone done the exchange with Orebro in Sweden?

I just applied for a few different Masters programmes in Sweden. They all seem highly competitive, so we'll see how this goes.

All applications are centralized through Studera (www.studera.nu/english). You can apply for up to 4 programmes per year. You rank your programmes in order of preference and submit. Deadline in January 15, 2010. From there, you will need to have your transcript sent directly to them by January 31. Additionally, some programmes require a letter of intent, or proof of experience, so look into that as well.

Application results are made known in May.

Some cost of living stuff (taken from http://www.studyinsweden.se/Living-i...ost-of-living/)
    In most restaurants and bars, a beer will cost you SEK 40-50 ($7 CDN), a glass of wine perhaps a little more. Dinner starts at around SEK 100-150 ($15-20 CDN)) drinks not included. Eating out at lunchtime is cheaper; expect to pay somewhere around SEK 55-85 ($8-10) for a meal including a soft drink, salad and tea/coffee. An average monthly budget is set out below to give you some idea of the cost of living in Sweden.

Food: SEK 2,000 ($300 CDN)
    Accommodation: SEK 3,200 ($475 CDN)
    Local travel: SEK 500 ($75CDN)
    Telephone/internet: SEK 300 ($45 CDN)
    Insurance, medical care and hygiene**: SEK 250 ($35 CDN)
    Student union fee: SEK 60-70 ($10 CDN)
    Clothing, hobby/leisure, other: SEK 750 ($110 CDN)

Total: SEK 7,070, or about $1,050 CDN.

Medical costs are VERY high in Sweden if you are not covered, so make sure you are...

Here is another Cost of Living comparison:
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...ayCurrency=CAD

To 7thgenvic's point about the Copenhagen... Copenhagen is one of the most expensive cities in the world, so even if tuition is low, the COL is very high.... here is to compared to LUND, SWE:
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...ayCurrency=CAD

I'll update once I know my acceptance status.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast