Quantcast
City Council approves blowing money on study, instead of using money to clear roads - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: City Council approves blowing money on study, instead of using money to clear roads

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Sprinklers might or might not save the entire house, let's keep that in mind. (i.e. pending where the fire is started, cuz I'm 100% positive nobody is going to have a "sensor" in every single fuckin' room... so what if the fire gets started in little Johnny's room cuz he decides to light up a joint... by the time the fire spreads to a sensor area like the hallway, kitchen, family room, the house will still sustain damage)
    commercial building code states that there must be at least one sprinkler in each room and no more then 20ft apart in larger rooms?

Originally posted by vengie
    Didn't those 5 homes burn down because the roads were horrendous and the fire dpt. was unable to get there in a timely manner due to that??

please correct me if I am wrong...
    hence why they want the sprinklers, so that there is less damage done to the house whe nthe fire department arrives.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

I'm sure that if the city invested the money to plow every residential road then 90% of the city would complain about their cars being snowed in and mountains on snow on sidewalks that are then the responsibility of the home owners and more complaints.

Short fore sight: yes the city could be doing more.
    Long fore sight: the public would complain about the extra money being spent just causing more issues.

essentially there is no pleasing everyone. get over it.
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by syritis
    I'm sure that if the city invested the money to plow every residential road then 90% of the city would complain about their cars being snowed in and mountains on snow on sidewalks that are then the responsibility of the home owners and more complaints.

Short fore sight: yes the city could be doing more.
    Long fore sight: the public would complain about the extra money being spent just causing more issues.

essentially there is no pleasing everyone. get over it.
    I'd spend 1/2 hour digging my car out, then get into an accident and potentially lose earnings for a few hours, higher insurance rates (if found at fault), injury, etc.

OR have my house burned down because the fire dept. couldn't reach it in time, or have a loved one die because the ambulance couldn't reach them, etc. etc.

You are right, there's no pleasing everyone, but cleaner roads > 1/2 hour digging out your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

would probably my more cost effective to buy 4x4 ambulances. then to keep every residential road clear for the slight possibility that there is a house fire.

really i've lived in calgary for 24 years now and this is the first time i've heard of city crews being unable to get access to the scene of an emergency.
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by syritis
    would probably my more cost effective to buy 4x4 ambulances. then to keep every residential road clear for the slight possibility that there is a house fire.

really i've lived in calgary for 24 years now and this is the first time i've heard of city crews being unable to get access to the scene of an emergency.
    Right, because I've never been in shit with my 4x4 on black ice. I don't get the opposition to cleaning the streets.. it's far above anything I'll ever comprehend apparently.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

This just solidifies that our city is run by complete tards.

First off the city has no right what so ever dabbling into the national or provincial building codes. As if some stupid alderman knows what's best for building construction and safety.

On top of this it would only be a local city blaw which mean you could build in Airdrie or Okotoks without these new requirements and expenses. Talk about killing the local (Calgary) housing market. Such bullshit. Can't believe we pay these dumb fucks salaries.

Pisses me off just thinking about it. Regardless what this study costs it's a complete waste of time and tax payers money.

I like the idea. But we can improve on it. Why don't we required all vehicles to have snow plow installed during winters. BMW, Porche, big cars, small cars, smart cars, mountbikes, every freaking things on the road got a snow plow.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Conditions of the home probably didn't help either.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ho...651/story.html

Regardless, a sprinkler system I agree looks good on paper and that's about it. And to play devil's advocate, maybe it's not just needing more money but more equipment and manpower that is currently not available no matter how much money we had.

Something that I found quite interesting a couple nights ago on Global was that the city has quite a few reserve/"rainy day" funds for if shit happens like this. But one Aldermen mentioned that there are 6-7 million in reserve but he had no idea what it was reserved for!

I'd love to shadow someone on council for a year. Maybe there is a lot of behind-the-door stuff that is important but isn't talked about, and only the negative stuff gets publicized. Can the public sit in on council meetings to spectate?
    Ultracrepidarian

Hate to rain in the bitch parade, but I remember silly hall on the news talking about this in the spring. They move slow, not fast knee-jerking to an incident.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

Originally posted by CUG
    Right, because I've never been in shit with my 4x4 on black ice. I don't get the opposition to cleaning the streets.. it's far above anything I'll ever comprehend apparently.
    Because was it really that bad?? Not really.

I live out of the city, plowed my own driveway so I could get out (usually the most determining factor to IF I'm going to be able to get my vehicle to work or somewhere in Calgary because its up hill out of the house and drifts in badly). Then I drove way down to the SE. Actually got there in 15min rather than the typical 40 or even longer with snow traffic. No one was on the road except people who knew how to handle their cars in winter weather. Coming home, all the grandpas and new drivers had finally bagged their engines/transmissions and roasted their tires enough to climb off their side street. Traffic was back to a 45min trek home.
    Why clean the streets... just encourages the poor drivers to think they can get to the store.
    My support for cleaning the street is I'll have less SUV (I'm unstoppable) drivers out there. But then I'll miss the lulz when they're 100m in the ditch ass backwards, having to abandon their ride.
    The 4x4 drivers will eventally weed themselves out by crashing on black ice (yourself possibly included) because 4x4 masks the sense of how much traction you really have until you hit the brakes or are really into it.

What do I drive? RWD, lowered, snow tires and trac control OFF. Worst combo, I know huh? Guess I should have sprung for the WRX or Escalade w/4x4 or lobbied Druh Farrell's office for more money for road cleanup.

I will admit, I got high centered out in the SE industrial park for 10minutes but a little sense of physics and you can figure it out.

The amount they plow, works for me and I'll adapt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2