Quantcast
25lb dumbells +workout = mass? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 25lb dumbells +workout = mass?

My Ride
    95 240SX

Default 25lb dumbells +workout = mass?

Long story short. Im broke. Gym and more/new weights are outta the question.

So, i've been increasing my intake of calories and carbs by using weight gainer and more food. i've upped my calories by about 2500ish ( rough estimate).
    I've been doing this for about a month now trying to get some meat on my bones. I have an ultra fast metabolism and gaining weight isn't easy nor cheap for me.

I've got pair of 25lb dumbells and am wondering if i can actually gain mass by working out with them? I know my legs wont gain much but i'd like for my arms and shoulders to fill out. I've gotten stronger since i started workin out, but im not gettin any bigger, not that i can see anyway.

Every site i seem to read always talks about benches, bars and machines, etc. and i end up getting discouraged and stop looking So can anyone recommend some exercises or websites with some good info?

oh yeah, I'm 5'10 145lbs, last winter this time i was 185ish, got stressed out and didnt eat for almost 2 months and i wanna get my size back.
    Last edited by RecoilS14; 12-15-2009 at 07:32 PM.

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

25lbs is too light to gain weight of of it. If you can increase it with at least 35lbs or more that would be better. For the first stages it would be ok to start with 25 lbs, but as you go you need to increase weight to gain faster. lifting 25 lbs with a lot of reps won't build muscle, it will usually get you more defined.

My Ride
    NC1

Don't know so can't comment.

Read this: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/288139/ma...bout-strength/

Coles: EAT and SQUAT.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    95 240SX

Originally posted by max_boost
    Don't know so can't comment.

Read this: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/288139/ma...bout-strength/

Coles: EAT and SQUAT.
    Yeah I read it. That's what sparked this thread. Just lookin for some local advice

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Dude, upping your calories by 2,500 and being as small framed as you are is a BAD IDEA. You aren't working out nearly enough to support that kind of caloric intake.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

There are lots of things you can do to increase the work load without spending any money.

Try pushups with someone resting their feet on your back.

Run stairs with a loaded backpack on.

Do squats with that same loaded backpack.

Run stairs while piggy-backing someone.

I'm sure there are lots of other things you can come up with that won't cost you any money.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by A790
    Dude, upping your calories by 2,500 and being as small framed as you are is a BAD IDEA. You aren't working out nearly enough to support that kind of caloric intake.
    +1

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    There are lots of things you can do to increase the work load without spending any money.

Try pushups with someone resting their feet on your back.

Run stairs with a loaded backpack on.

Do squats with that same loaded backpack.

Run stairs while piggy-backing someone.

I'm sure there are lots of other things you can come up with that won't cost you any money.
    There are lots of ways to exercise on the cheap. But in order to get big and strong, you need to lift heavy things.

OP, you're broke, can't afford weights, but you're wasting money on weight gainer?
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Push-ups
    Push-ups with two chairs
    Dips with a chair
    Head Stand Presses
    Squats while holding your weights
    Lunges while holding your weights
    Buy a pull-up bar, they are super cheap, like $50

With this you can easily pack on the muscle. If anyone says different they are full of shit.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by 89coupe
    Push-ups
    Push-ups with two chairs
    Dips with a chair
    Head Stand Presses
    Squats while holding your weights
    Lunges while holding your weights
    Buy a pull-up bar, they are super cheap, like $50

With this you can easily pack on the muscle. If anyone says different they are full of shit.
    Yea, he'll put on muscle for a while. I had to add weight to my dips/chins after a few months. Plus, his legs are going to be under worked if he's only using 50lbs of resistance.

I started doing lunges with 25lbs per arm, now I hold 60lbs. Ultimately, he needs to get himself to a gym if he's serious about lifting weight and putting on muscle.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by A790

Yea, he'll put on muscle for a while. I had to add weight to my dips/chins after a few months. Plus, his legs are going to be under worked if he's only using 50lbs of resistance.

I started doing lunges with 25lbs per arm, now I hold 60lbs. Ultimately, he needs to get himself to a gym if he's serious about lifting weight and putting on muscle.
    I doubt he's trying to become some muscle freak. He can easily build strong lean muscle with this simple workout. You don't need big heavy weights.

Every strength coach is full of shit in 89coupe's eyes, because every single one says that you need progressive loading (translation: increasing weights) in order to build mass. Going into the 20+ rep range builds muscle endurance, not hypertrophy.
    heloc that shit

I doubt he's trying to become some muscle freak. He can easily build strong lean muscle with this simple workout. You don't need big heavy weights.
    Do you fucking read anything? He's trying to go from 145lbs back up to the 185lbs he was before. He's trying to gain 40lbs, he's not looking for a simple workout. There is absolutely no way that he's going to gain anywhere near 40lbs if all he has are 25lb dumbbells. Period.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by lint
    Every strength coach is full of shit in 89coupe's eyes, because every single one says that you need progressive loading (translation: increasing weights) in order to build mass. Going into the 20+ rep range builds muscle endurance, not hypertrophy.
    If he weigh's 145'lbs and is 5'10" he can easily put on 30lbs of lean dense muscle without lifting a single heavy weight.

At 5' 10" and 175'bs he's gong to look HUGE!

If he weigh's 145'lbs and is 5'10" he can easily put on 30lbs of lean dense muscle without lifting a single heavy weight.

At 5' 10" and 175'bs he's gong to look HUGE!
    Bull. Fucking. Shit.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by lint

Bull. Fucking. Shit.
    LOL, you are an idiot then if you don't think so.

LOL, you are an idiot then if you don't think so.
    Why don't you put up or shut up? Put together a workout plan for him where he only uses body weight or 25lb dumbbells. Full details, none of your usual generic info that you spout out. Reps for warm ups, number of warm up sets, reps for work sets, number of work sets, rest between work sets, what exercises to do each day, how many days of training a week. You should be able to pull that out of your ass pretty easily. I'd even give you 6 months, that's only 5lbs of muscle a month. If you can get the OP up to 175lbs in 6 months with your magic bulking with only 25lb dumbbell routine, I'll buy you a 89coupe lunch.
    heloc that shit

89coupe should put together a workout plan for the OP. Then 89coupe should do a before and after photoshoot with the OP. The post results on here.

On a side note, if you ar working out but you do not tihnk you are actually getting bigger, it is probably because your increase in size happens over time, so it makes it a lot less noticable. Take some before shots and then compare to after pictures in 3 months. You should see some sort of gain.

As far as what 89coupe said, i....LOL'd.

he can easily put on 30lbs of lean dense muscle without lifting a single heavy weight.
    Please God, show me the way.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Hey RecoilS14,

if you are interested in a solid workout plan that doesn't require heavy weights let me know and I will PM you.

In order for it to work you must be dedicated to working out every day, and eating a very healthy diet.

It won't happen over night either, you will need a good 6 months to make the change but if you think you can hack it let me know and I will take the time to write you up a schedule.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast