Quantcast
2010 Audi S5 or 2009 BMW Dinan S2 335xi? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Audi S5 or 2009 BMW Dinan S2 335xi?

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I don't think there is a hotter 4 seater coupe than S5 right now...
    Originally posted by max_boost
    I would buy the S5 just because half the City is driving 335's.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Originally posted by KyleTA
    thx for the info! Ive seen the car driving around, its pretty nice
    lol ? what do you mean... I am sure there is more then 1 WS6 T/A in calgary...
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

Originally posted by Freebs

even in the summer i rarely see any f-body's.. i saw 1 WS6 all year, and it was parked.. haha

too bad i can't afford that car though, good luck with the sale

and i would def choose the S5 (although the A5 seems to be a popular chick car)
    another alternative would be the G coupe? have you looked at japanese cars? and if he is willing to wait, there's a 95% chance of a CTS Coupe AWD coming out too
    Last edited by rp_guy; 12-16-2009 at 10:44 PM.

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Originally posted by rp_guy

even in the summer i rarely see any f-body's.. i saw 1 WS6 all year, and it was parked.. haha

too bad i can't afford that car though, good luck with the sale

and i would def choose the S5 (although the A5 seems to be a popular chick car)
    another alternative would be the G coupe? have you looked at japanese cars? and if he is willing to wait, there's a 95% chance of a CTS Coupe AWD coming out too
    ahah yea some people think he is crazy to drive it in the winter, not to mention with 400rwhp but it actually has never had an issue in the winter even with our huge amounts of snow we got a few weeks ago it just acted like a tank and kept on going

I think he looked into the G coupe and you can only get the AWD in the automatic transmision. Like the 4 door issue that is another thing he will never drive is an auto. He didn’t even like my TC-SST twin clutch in my Evo lol.. Just the awd fun

Humm I will let him know about the CTS...
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Before you talk to your dad about the Dinan 335i/xi, read this thread here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261655

Some members have reported a power loss with Dinan stage II and III over time.

Although the 335i/xi is a great car (my dad and my girlfriend both have one) with a great price there is just too much uncertainty with it's reliability. The 335 alone, without the Dinan mods, is a hit or miss already. Couple that with a reported power loss with Dinan stage II and III, you definitely be gambling with your car's reliability in the future. If its a car he wants to own for a long time, I'd avoid the 335. If he just wants to have it for 3-4 years, by all means get it.

Yes, BMW has issued extended warranty on the fuel pump but, honestly, that doesn't mean much. You're still going to experience the hassle of limp mode, calling the dealership, getting a loaner - excuse me I mean rental since Calgary BMW and BMW Gallery always seem to be out of loaners for some reason (I wonder why..), waiting for them to fix it and not be gauranteed a permanent fix. If it weren't for our lack of a lemon law in Canada, I wouldn't be advising you to tell your dad to not get the 335.

I can't speak for the Audi dealerships but, I be willing to wager that they are way better than BMW dealerships here. I drive a 328xi myself and although I have zero complaints about my car, I can't stand going to the dealership. It just sucks and your dad wouldn't enjoy it, seriously.

I'd sit down with him and work out what he wants, what he doesn't mind, what he needs and how long he would like to keep his next car for. Then with those things established, do research on both cars. Though, it will be hard for you to get a good amount of information on the S5 as compared to the 335. Audi has a small online community, while BMW has, imo, one of the best communities. So when you do do research, don't be totally swayed to the S5 just because you couldn't find too much dirt on it while the 335 will be a mountain of dirt, it will only be because of the size of the community. Hope this helps.

My Ride
    2010 WRX Limited

FREEBS, I WANT A RIDE IN THE EVO AND THAT Z06!!!

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

I'd be torn. I absolutely love the Audi S5.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

I have the Dinan package on my 335i. If i had to choose one i would go with the S5. It is very hard for me to recommend the 335i with all the problems i had.

2 high pressure fuel pumps
    1 low pressure
    All injectors changed
    replaced the Turbo actuator.
    replaced coil packs,
    Replaced spark plugs
    replaced the ECU

When the car is not in the shop it is Blast to drive though. There where few M3 and S5 owners that got a good look at my rear tail lights. At these elevations the Chipped Twin Turbos will outform the V8's...

Originally posted by Kg810

Some members have reported a power loss with Dinan stage II and III over time.

I also have the same problem with my Dinan stage III as these guy's had.

• Massive increase in gas mileage. You will notice this first.
    • Very rough ideal at start. Car now stumbles in gear when cold and did not before
    • Car starts to die or limp with ¼ tank of gas.
    • Major torque reduction at 4000 RPM
    • Sluggish or lumpy throttle response. You can actually feel throttle closure on continuous high load demands. Those who tack know this.

Even now my car is sluggish. Waiting till spring to get it back to the dealer to see what is going on.

My Ride
    2011 GTR

kg810 - Thank you for that information and I will defiantly dig deeper to see what I can’t find. I know BMWs reliability history was what turned me away from buying a 2004 M3 last year.

ICEBERG - Thank for sharing your opinion. I like when people who have real life experience with what you are looking at chime in and give their honest opinion rather than making it seem like the greatest thing ever even when you know there are problems.

Originally posted by .civictyper.
    FREEBS, I WANT A RIDE IN THE EVO AND THAT Z06!!!
    lol the Evo is fun but nothing to crazy in my opinion... could be because I am use to the 800hp in the Z06 but we should have the Z06 out to the track this summer. I don’t know if I will be racing it or the Gnx, but if I am using the Z06 I could give you a quick rip down the track in it. It’s got the potential for high 9's with the Gnx close behind with potential for mid 10's and the Evo far back in the mid to high 12’s lol
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

I worked at a dealership a while back and he brought his z06 in and had his t/a there as well... ive seen it around a bunch (even in the winter)
    I pay attention to ls1 t/a's haha.. i have 2 of them so I am partial.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

s5 looks way hawter but even non-chipped 335i is wicked fun and much cheaper, I love mine!
    Autosignature

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Well he has decided to ditch the 335xi option and the S5, and is now deciding between an Audi RS5 if it comes to North America and a 2010 GTR.

The 335 he ditched because of the reliability issues and the S5 he ditched because of the power it was making (only 270whp). He even looked into putting bolt-ons on the S5 and from what we both found, the most power you could push out of the S5 without boost is around 400-415hp which is only about 325whp and to add boost it would be an extra $40,000 which puts the total cost of the car into the $120,000 range and is not worth it when there are other cars he could look at that would give the same power for the same price and keep a warranty.

He wants something that is going to be the same power as his car now (400whp) without having to modify it at all or if he does have to modify it, he can keep a warranty (such as the Dinan 335 package).
    Last edited by Freebs; 12-27-2009 at 03:40 PM.
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Hey Freebs. How's the smell with the TP on the EVO?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

He wants something that is going to be the same power as his car now (400whp) without having to modify it at all or if he does have to modify it, he can keep a warranty (such as the Dinan 335 package).
    E63 coupe.

CTS-V coupe.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by ICEBERG

• Very rough ideal at start. Car now stumbles in gear when cold and did not before
    • Car starts to die or limp with ¼ tank of gas.
    What version of Progman is your car running.

My was upgraded to the latest (35.3 or something) and all this went away.

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Originally posted by benyl

E63 coupe.

CTS-V coupe.
    E63 is only RWD though, he is looking for something AWD

CTS-V is GM... ahah believe it or not he swears he will never by GM again even though his entire line up is GM lol but after the experience he got with the Z06, he swore he will never buy a GM again... that and they aren’t high up on the AWD performance list of cars which he after
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

Originally posted by benyl

What version of Progman is your car running.

My was upgraded to the latest (35.3 or something) and all this went away.
    Hi benyl,

From what the tech told me at the dealer everything was up to date. But still having some limp mode problems at 1/4 tank and rough idle. Have to take it in again for them to check.

Been using Shell V-Power but the problem is still there. Now i developed a rattle on the clutch pedal too.. This is never ending.

Originally posted by ICEBERG

Hi benyl,

From what the tech told me at the dealer everything was up to date. But still having some limp mode problems at 1/4 tank and rough idle. Have to take it in again for them to check.

Been using Shell V-Power but the problem is still there. Now i developed a rattle on the clutch pedal too.. This is never ending.
    Rough break! How was your car prior to the Dinan mods? Formerly I was running the JB3 and could not have been happier with the performance. The only thing I hate about the car is that it doesn't really launch all that smoothly (AT) and it is quite a bit more noisy than the Mercedes.

RS5 in blue or black!

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

RS5 blue ... closed
    Autosignature

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast