Quantcast
2010 Audi S5 or 2009 BMW Dinan S2 335xi? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Audi S5 or 2009 BMW Dinan S2 335xi?

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Default 2010 Audi S5 or 2009 BMW Dinan S2 335xi?

I am doing a bit of research for my old man. He is looking to sell his daily driver/winter car (2002 WS6 Trans Am) and pick up something that is AWD and somewhat sporty.

I got him hooked since last year when I picked up a 2008 Evo X and he is in love with AWD now lol.

Now he was set on an S5 since my friend’s family owns the two Audi dealerships in town and was more or less being coached into an Audi ahah just kidding but there was some persuasion

Then he just wanted to see his options and a guy at his work was talking about Dinan and how the S2 package + a new 335xi would work out to being around $1,000 more than a S5 so pretty comparable but the BMW being faster and more sporty after the package was put on. Plus Dinan will cover your warranty and BMW Calgary is an authorized dealer

Also to add, he is not interested in a STi or Evo (I tried), he wants a 2 door AWD standard.

Anyway let me know if you have experienced either car or something similar and also if you know how stiff Dinan suspension normally is let me know. He has a 2007 Z06 and doesn’t mind how stiff that is but would like it to be a bit softer for his daily driver

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Freebs; 12-15-2009 at 10:20 PM.
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Id go with the S4....
    The S5 will get the exact same engine in a few years anyways. That being said..If hes coming from a WS6.. he would like the V8 of the S5.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I don't think there is a hotter 4 seater coupe than S5 right now. It would be even better if they slap the 3L TFSI in there. The only think that piss me off is the sunroof doesn't open, you can only prop it up.

335 are a dime a dozen. There isn't much S5 on the road.

Reading up on the new 3L TFSI in the S4. With the ABT ECU upgrade, it gets 435HP/384lb/ft. Quite a monster.

EDIT: S5 vert has the supercharge 3L instead of V8.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-16-2009 at 12:00 AM.

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Originally posted by R-Audi
    Id go with the S4....
    The S5 will get the exact same engine in a few years anyways. That being said..If hes coming from a WS6.. he would like the V8 of the S5.
    I suggested it but he hates 4 door cars ahah I have tried for years to get him out of hating them but he is set in his ways for 2 door cars. I was actually looking at the S4 or a used RS4 when I was looking for a car but they were just a bit out of reach for my budget.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I don't think there is a hotter 4 seater coupe than S5 right now. It would be even better if they slap the 3L TFSI in there. The only think that piss me off is the sunroof doesn't open, you can only prop it up.

335 are a dime a dozen. There isn't much S5 on the road.

Reading up on the new 3L TFSI in the S4. With the ABT ECU upgrade, it gets 435HP/384lb/ft. Quite a monster.

EDIT: S5 vert has the supercharge 3L instead of V8.
    335s are a dime a dozen but would be closer to what he is use to in his Trans Am. It dynoed at 400whp/415lbs.tq with the bolt-ons he put on right off the show room floor and my worry is he will be very disappointed with what the S5 V8 is putting out. He likes the convertible with the Supercharged V6 but he doesn’t want to deal with the convertible in the winter since that’s mainly when this car will be used (his TT Z06 and GNX are his summer drivers)

I saw a post on Audizine.com where they dynoed two S5's with the two different engines (V8 and the supercharged V6) on the same dyno one after another (both bone stock). The V8 made 270awhp and the V6 made 307awhp (they said they know it was a low reading dyno but it still shows the difference). So at 270awhp in a 3850lbs car vs his 400rwhp in a 3750lbs car he might be disappointed and getting a test drive in an S5 even when you know the owners is hard to do right now. The only one they have had that was not sold before it arrived is sitting in Royal Oaks show room but has summer tires. So if it warms up a bit we might be able to get it out for a test drive but even still it only has the Automatic transmission.

I may have to show him the specs on the S4 with the ECU upgrade, that MIGHT grab his attention but I am not holding my breath since it is a 4 door lol.

I have even tried suggesting an SRT-8 Jeep Cherokee but he said he will just put a TT kit or supercharger kit on his Tahoe before he buys a Jeep lol.
    Last edited by Freebs; 12-16-2009 at 12:34 AM.
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

I can comment on the 335xi:

-worst suspension ever. Be prepared to spend some money on KW V3s.

-If he expects an evo feeling out of a 335xi, he is in for a big surprise.

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Originally posted by dimi
    I can comment on the 335xi:

-worst suspension ever. Be prepared to spend some money on KW V3s.

-If he expects an evo feeling out of a 335xi, he is in for a big surprise.
    It would have Dinan's stage 3 suspension with the S2 package which uses Koni shocks.

"the S2 also features the Stage 3 Suspension System which adds front Camber Plates to the Stage 2 spring, rear shocks and rear antiroll bar package."

What do you mean he is in for a surprise? for good or bad?

He drove my Evo X with a intake, test pipe, cat back and a stage 2 Cobb re-flash which Cobb says it puts it to around 370hp / 357lbs.tq (aprox. 300awhp/ 290lbs.tq from what people are putting down on mustang dynos) and it weighed in at 3860lbs. But the AWD systems I know are totally different with the EVO being an active set up and the BMW being a reactive set up.
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

S5 ALL DAY
    Life is a Gamble.

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

S5's ill admit look really good. Audi makes great cars but really the 335i is going to out perform that car in every way possible.

I think the doors on the s5 coupe's doors are huge though, something about it is oddly shaped. Everytime ive seen one the driver looks really tiny. I like the S5 interior over the 335i as well.

They aren't that common because their over priced and too expensive given its competition. If he REALLY loves the way it looks then i guess its worth paying that much for one. Dinan is good stuff. Pricey but good! I haven't heard too many great things about the xi actually, i don't regret not going for one. The audi awd system im sure is better. Im glad that the car is already dinan equipped because the wheel gap on stock xi is RIDICULOUS. The things look like they've actually been raised lol.

Tell him to test drive both and see which one he likes better. Evo is also a great car. Tough decision!

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default 335

Go with the 335, you will be much happier. Just make sure not to use Ethanol based gasolines (like Husky or Mohawk) or you will be replacing your fuel pump quite often. I have a Dinan 335 so I am a bit biased.

The 335 will be much better with the Dinan suspension. Thankfully you can use m3 parts as well (replace some of the suspension components like sway bars/end links) If you go with the 335 be ready to buy better brakes as well, the stock brakes are not good enough for that power increase.

The Dinan suspension is not really the same as Koni. They use Koni shocks but they are re-valved, much better than the stock Koni units. (this is on the I at least, I didn't research the xi-suspension is different between the two)
    Last edited by gram; 12-16-2009 at 02:13 AM.

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Originally posted by funkedelic2
    S5's ill admit look really good. Audi makes great cars but really the 335i is going to out perform that car in every way possible.

I think the doors on the s5 coupe's doors are huge though, something about it is oddly shaped. Everytime ive seen one the driver looks really tiny. I like the S5 interior over the 335i as well.

They aren't that common because their over priced and too expensive given its competition. If he REALLY loves the way it looks then i guess its worth paying that much for one. Dinan is good stuff. Pricey but good! I haven't heard too many great things about the xi actually, i don't regret not going for one. The audi awd system im sure is better. Im glad that the car is already dinan equipped because the wheel gap on stock xi is RIDICULOUS. The things look like they've actually been raised lol.

Tell him to test drive both and see which one he likes better. Evo is also a great car. Tough decision!
    Well he won’t be able to take a Dinan equipped 335xi for a test so he is going to have to take a stock 335xi for a test drive and try and guess what another 100hp will feel like and the suspension and such.

Have you heard of any issues with them? I know there is overheating issues even with spirited driving around town, but Dinan takes care of this I believe with a larger oil cooler.
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default hmm

The overheating issue is not true at all. With Dinan's oil cooler it can run hot but I have never gone in to limp mode or had it above the 1/2 way mark. The stock oil cooler could be an issue but if you are going stage 3 that won't be anything to worry about as you will get the upgraded oil cooler and fmic.

I have an 07 335 with pretty much every Dinan part you could add but went with different exhaust and Brembo brakes (same thing really but Dinan is a rip off for their re-branded Brembos)

Dinan is amazing with service/warranty as well. I had the turbos go and they simply replaced them w/out any questions. So don't worry about warranty coverage, they are amazing with warranty.

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Yea the warranty is what he likes with the Dinan package.

You have the Dinan suspension right? Is it super stiff or not to bad for our roads?
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

My Ride
    NC1

I would buy the S5 just because half the City is driving 335's.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Originally posted by max_boost
    I would buy the S5 just because half the City is driving 335's.
    lol this is true. But I have been doing some research for him on a few Audi sites and the 4.2L V8 seems to be strung out to the limits from the factory... The best I can find for bolts-ons and a tune is 375hp (up from 354hp) that is TERRIBLE for a V8. I understand it is a small displacement V8 but that is still sad. My tiny 2.0L 4 cylinder made another 80hp from an intake, test pipe, cat back and a generic tune.

S5
    Pros
    - Better AWD
    - Slightly better looks

Cons
    - Very underpowered from stock (only putting out 270awhp)
    - Power can’t really be increased without a $40,000 MTM Supercharger upgrade

335xi
    Pros
    - For the same price as the S5, makes 50hp more and is lighter
    - Room to grow even from 400hp

Cons
    - Not as good AWD system
    - More common
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

My Ride
    VAG products

S5 or S4 josh! do what is right.

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Originally posted by pf0sh0
    S5 or S4 josh! do what is right.
    lol it's not for me... otherwise it wouldn't be a question.. I would just go with the S4 and be done with it.. But my old man is picky with his cars gets bored with anything less than 400whp and doesn't like 4 door cars lol so this is going to be interesting
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Dinan if he wants to go faster in the future.

how much will he be asking for the ws6? how many k on it?

My Ride
    2011 GTR

Originally posted by KyleTA
    how much will he be asking for the ws6? how many k on it?
    Well a bunch of his buddies all want it but he was going to ask $18,500

2002 WS6
    - 6 speed
    - 110,000kms
    - SLP Loud mouth exhaust
    - SLP long tube headers (I think they are SLP?)
    - SLP heads (again I think they are SLP?)
    - Intake with K&N panel filter
    - Tuned by DavenPort
    - WS6 16" wheels with winter tires
    - Trans AM 17x9 summer wheels/tires
    - Still on original clutch and no signs of slipping at all, but I imagine if you were to race it you would need to replace it and he does have the stock LS7 clutch for sale from his Z06 that only has approximately 450kms (from Ontario to Lingenfelters shop) that could be made to work on this car.
    All modifications were put on almost right off the show room floor (about 40kms on the car) at DavenPorts shop and it made 400whp/415lbs.tq on their dyno. Since then it’s just been driven as a daily driver and we took it down to Las Vegas and back with no issues at all a few summers ago and still starts up and runs like a top. As you can see in this post, only reason he is looking to sell it, is because he wants an AWD car for his daily/winter vehicle otherwise he was just going to keep this car and drive it.

Also to add to this. He still hasn't made up his mind yet and might end up keeping it, but I am sure if the offer is there he wouldn't say no.
    Last edited by Freebs; 12-16-2009 at 08:45 PM.
    Garage
    - 2011 GTR
    - 2013 STi
    - 2015 Yamaha FZ07

thx for the info! Ive seen the car driving around, its pretty nice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast