Quantcast
What to do about neighbors who had loud party last night on Tuesday night - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do about neighbors who had loud party last night on Tuesday night

Default What to do about neighbors who had loud party last night on Tuesday night

First off, as a disclaimer, I'm not an old man, and I usually don't complain and wouldn't have if it had been the weekend, or recieved the courtesy of the neighbor informing me of their intentions.

A bit of background:

I've lived in my apartment/townhouse which is on the main level in since I bought it new in 06'

The unit above was purchased as investment real-estate and has always had tenant. I've not had an issue with the tenant(s) until the last one arrived back in September.

There are contributing events leading up to my actions, such as on the night she moved in, her BF or whatever at the time, backed up his Jeep Cherokee right up over a side/walk blvd, over gravel and grass at 11:30 PM, causing a rather distrubing racket.

We formally called in a noise complaints through our condo board, and had talked with her over the course of the last couple months. Though she had initially attempted to deny the claim, she has definately been more aware of her noisyness (stomping up/down staircase, late night fiasco's)

That was until last night: Tuesday Dec 15th/09

In the sequential order of what occured:

11:30 PM: I come home from Soccer
    As I sit in my car for a minute or two to sort some mail.
    They pull up in their space, besides mine, and wave high. I wave back. I see that they are carrying some beer upstairs... not a problem

11:30 - 12:00 AM - I start getting ready for bed, take a shower etc... I can hear alot of "thumping" around upstairs, but in significantly more volume than before. I'm hearing people run up and down the staircase, people talking/yelling loudly...
    I open the window, and more and more people are arriving.

12:00 AM - Behavior continues, and even more people pull up to the house, parking in stalls that even belong to residents.

12:00-12:45 AM - Cannot sleep, can hear music, loud voices and footsteps/thumps throughout the townhome/apt.
    I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THIS BEFORE, WE HAVE CONCRETE FLOORS
    My spouce gets up at 6:00 AM to go to work, this was getting out of hand, and we were infuriated.

12:45 AM - I ring the doorbell, and she "the tenant" answers. She apologies and says they are just having a small gathering, and that they'll keep it down. By small gathering, I could probably guess that there had been at least 10-12 people in the unit partying loudly.

12:45-1:30 AM - I am able to hear her telling everyone to be quieter and more courtious... doesn't help. In fact I hear drunk voices saying, eff them, and deliberately stomp around on purpose. I could clearly articulate the conversations, of which she had tried to apply some restraints on her guests, but fails miserably.
    I hear people leaving and arriving still throughout this period. Some hystarical girl screaming, things being dropped.
    Again, hear more and more comments on how "bull-shit" her neighbors are etc, and more deliberate acts of noise.

There are people on the balcony talking loudly, and can be clearly heard in the complex. I was about to lose it.... but I figured as this wasn't the first time that I had made a complaint about noise, that this time, further action was reqiured.

1:30 AM - I contact the authorities via the non-emergency number. I know our bi-laws and official complaints can result in a penalties to both the tenant and owner.

1:30 - 2:13 AM - Behavior continues, and in fact is louder. Assuming that more alcohol, amonst things, were consumed.

2:14 AM - Police arrive... they knock on the door, and speak with the tenant, but don't go upstairs. They give a warning, as per protocol.
    While this is occuring, I hear panic upstairs, agrument insues, and I hear people saying "throw it out the back window". Its not my business, but it isn't eavesdropping is it, when you can hear yelling through concrete floors?

2:14-2:30 AM - Tenant tells several individuals to be quiet... I hear people yelling, this is BS, and deliberately yelling "your neighbors are assholes".
    Tenant instructs individuals to leave... and so some do. As this occurs, things become quiet...

2:30-2:40 AM - Begin hearing angry voices arguing, and hearing a male and female's voice stating "I'm going to eff those ashsole up" etc..

2:40 AM - Tenant and her friends go downstairs and hop into their vehicle, but just prior, a blond friend of hers, walks right up to our window and yells: "call the cops" "eff you" on the top of her lungs.

Now, since then... its was quiet. I was awaken as they came back home at close to 4:00 AM, but there was no malice to their actions.

Again, I'm not a "sensitive" sleeper, and its not that I was eaves dropping into their conversation. There was no invasion of privicy, except for ours. Its not that we can even ignore what was happening or was being said, as it echo'd through my home.

Unfortunately after that fiasco, like typical people, we still had to get up and go to work. Bright eye'd and bushy tailed
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 12-16-2009 at 02:26 PM.

My Ride
    Sentra

Well first of all, you probably don't have concrete floors.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Ahh drunk whores and their goof pals. I don't live in a condo... if I did, it wouldn't be the police thing. It would be a black mask and a pipe.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Make a complaint to the condo board. After the first warning, there are usually escalating fines ($100, $300, $500 at my condo).

How old is she? If she doesn't make much money, the fines themselves may be enough deterrent. Also, contact the members of the condo board, get everyone on board, and then go straight to the owner and tell them that they have a rowdy tenant that needs to be dealt with.

I probably wouldn't be too bothered at all if this was on a weekend, but if someone was keeping me awake all night on a work night I would lose my shit.

record the noise next time and talk to the police when they come?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Make a complaint to the condo board. After the first warning, there are usually escalating fines ($100, $300, $500 at my condo).
    Agreed.

At least she TRIED to quiet people down. So it kinda sucks to get her fined for her friends' actions, but that is the risk you take when you invite people over.

As a member of my condo board, I too know how things work. Repeated complaints DO work. You might not see results immediately, but I guarantee you that eventually either the tenants will be thrown out, or they will shut the hell up.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Name the tenant, I'm sure Beyond will govern itself accordingly.

This happened repeatedly to me a few years ago from the tenant beneath me. Complaints went basically unheeded until I started calling the apprpropriate people responsible in the building at 3 or 4 a.m. etc. I just said every time I get woken up, you get woken up since it doesn't seem to be a serious issue to you.

Tenant was kicked out after only two late night calls.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 12-16-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Join the party?

Originally posted by GoChris
    Well first of all, you probably don't have concrete floors.
    We have infloor heating - piping - running through formed cement floors. So I'm sure we do.

Originally posted by Kloubek

Agreed.

At least she TRIED to quiet people down. So it kinda sucks to get her fined for her friends' actions, but that is the risk you take when you invite people over.

As a member of my condo board, I too know how things work. Repeated complaints DO work. You might not see results immediately, but I guarantee you that eventually either the tenants will be thrown out, or they will shut the hell up.
    Recieved notice from the property mgmt company that a fine will be issued.

Now to have a talk w/ the condo board and the landloard.

Thats why Ill probably never live in a condo. For some reason people who keep me up when Im trying to sleep makes me more mad then anything physically possible, I just go insane, literally... Surprized u had so much restraint, I would of flew off the handle after 30 mins of that bs... Such a massive act of disrespect, they might as well shit all over your doorstep while their at it.

At least now you own rights to having a party yourself, 4x louder.

Originally posted by punky
    record the noise next time and talk to the police when they come?
    Well, as per bi-laws -- noise audiable beyond the constrincts of the unit is not allowed past 11:00 PM

The cops could easly hear the party from the outside, especially as the party spilled onto the balcony.

My Ride
    72 Virgins

Keep ratting them off for noise to the condo board / management company. The fines will pile up for the owner and tenant, and they will either move out or be forced to leave by the board or the owner.
    Originally posted by Spoons
    I can't even count the amount of times I took a pill with meth, heroine, speed, you name it laced with it. You gotta be careful.

That is what I'm going to do...

Problem is, we channel all complaints via property mgmt, so I've requested the contact details for our Condo Board, which should have been disclosed in the last memorandum but wasn't.

As well, I have requested to speak with the land-lord, but I'm not certain that is something I can enforce.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 12-16-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-15-2019 at 02:12 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I have a related question. What if it's your roommate that's having loud parties that can't necessarily be heard by the neighbours but it keeps you up all night when you have to work? And you're a board member. Can you still fine them?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Sorry to hear man my family ownes a couple condos and we have the same problem with some tenants, what area is your condo in?

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    You are not the first person to have this problem, you won't be the last.

If it was me I wouldn't have even talked to them first; when the entire party knows it was you that called the police you can expect disruptive drunk idiots to start targeting you, your house and your car. Best thing you can do is just put a call into the police... let them guess which neighbour instead.

Of course the bad thing is now if they ever have another party then they will suspect you every time if the cops show up.

Best thing you can do is talk to them first to try and resolve the situation without damaging your neighbour relationship; mention that people were screaming in your window and you could hear people talking about starting a confrontation. Tell them that if they decide to have another party like this and because of the problems you will just be calling in complaints right away to the police with no warning.

If they get belligerent about it bring it up with the condo board and have them start hitting them with fines every single time they step out of line.
    In hindsight I shouldn't have spoken to them at all.
    I just wanted to be a considerate neighbor, and wanted to mitigate the situation, rather than what it came down to.

However she was completely aware of her, and her friend's actions... may not have been in control of, but definitely aware.

As such, along with the formal noise complaint submission, a harassment fine has also been laid.

The landlord has now been fined $1500 via City of Calgary Bi-law & Property Mgmt

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    The landlord has now been fined $1500 via City of Calgary Bi-law & Property Mgmt
    Haha I'm guessing those tenants won't be around much longer.

$1500?! That's a fuckin whopper of a fine...

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by r3ccOs

We have infloor heating - piping - running through formed cement floors. So I'm sure we do.
    Wow, I just figured if you could hear it that easily, conversations even, that it wouldn't be concrete. I thought concrete would have made it quieter for you. Unfortunately not.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast