Quantcast
The two faces of climate change denialism, and a solution to fit both - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: The two faces of climate change denialism, and a solution to fit both

Default The two faces of climate change denialism, and a solution to fit both

By now, the predominant position of climate change denialism has shifted from "It isn't happening" to "Humans didn't do it".

Convincing this camp deniers is not enough to save us, though, for there is a second, more widespread and dangerous form of denialism in play.

The second climate change denialism: Denial of the gravity of the situation. The belief that climate change can be stopped with changes to our lifestyles and consumption.

While this may have had relevance in previous decades, the time for such gentle measures has passed.... The Earth is near (or past) the edge of runaway global warming.

The two camps generally share a common acceptance that the Earth is heating, leaving which leaves us with the problem: How can we cool it?

I believe the answer is to be found in Geo-engineering: massive projects intended to support the Earth's coping mechanisms and reduce solar input.

Geo-Engineering has been dismissed by many environmentalists as being a form of denialism, and they see it as a distraction intended to delay economically unpleasant international treaties.

To the contrary, I suggest that Geo-engineering is our only hope, and we need to get started yesterday.

The different GE proposals have varying benefits and shortcomings. Probably we'd need to use multiple methods. Here is a sampling to give you an idea.

Solar Radiation management: Sheilding ourselves form the suns rays, using everything from particles deliberately dispersed in our atmosphere, to having a massive space mirror positioned between ourselves and the sun. We'd only have to reduce the Sun's output a few degrees to make a difference. Concepts to increase the Earth's reflectiveness by painting rooftops white is a (insufficient) variation upon this them.

Ocean Nourishment: Increase Oceans' ability to absorb/process CO2 by giving ocean plant life a nutrient boost in the form of iron supplements.

More reading on Geo-engineering proposals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoengineering

Default Re: The two faces of climate change denialism, and a solution to fit both

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-15-2019 at 02:31 PM.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

The people most likely to be immediately affected by a climate change within our lifetime do not live in a "first world" country. Africa, South America, and to a lesser extent mid-Asia will see the first impacts.

A lot of people, whether consciously or subconsciously, see this, hence the general apathy. There will not be a significant shift in global climate in our lifetimes barring something extreme like a pole shift or massive solar radiation.

I feel that the most pressing issues facing the current generation of humans are overpopulation and finding a substitute for oil, both of which will affect us in very real ways within a few decades.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by 97'Scort

I feel that the most pressing issues facing the current generation of humans are overpopulation and finding a substitute for oil, both of which will affect us in very real ways within a few decades.
    DING! Something North Americans can't do anything about.

Just curious, how can you be a climate change denier if you believe it happens naturally?

When was the utopian era that the earth saw mild, stable climate across the globe?
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    DING! Something North Americans can't do anything about.
    There's actually a great new documentary out called "How Many People Can Live On Planet Earth" from BBC Horizon. David Attenborough narrates it (apparently it's a subject he's quite interested in).

Pretty well done. It's a TV show, so they don't go into a ton of detail, but they make some good cases for significant food and water shortages. They estimate that almost all the main food producing land on the planet is already in use, and not much more can actually be cultivated.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by DayGlow
    Just curious, how can you be a climate change denier if you believe it happens naturally?

When was the utopian era that the earth saw mild, stable climate across the globe?
    You're way too intelligent and logical for this thread, they'll have none of it.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...