Quantcast
Windmobile.ca Launched - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Windmobile.ca Launched

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by msommers
    Vagabond, you're gonna have to buy a sponsorship pretty soon.

Sorry, I've just been putting a lot of time into researching plans, locations, phones, AWS, 3G, etc. Sorry for being enthusiastic

I spent 4 years with Robbers (1 year pre-paid Fido, 3 years contract big brand Rogers)... that, there, should be enough to tell you why I am so happy Wind is here :P
    Geek

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

Originally posted by Mibz
    Maybe for normal phone data but my Treo was roaming in Toronto.
    Were you close to the US border? You could have been hitting towers there. If it happened recently, I would call in and get your money refunded.

Originally posted by 8Ball
    cant a guy just unlock it?
    It's a hardware lock, not software. Which means that the internal components are different.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

From Howard Forums:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1602063

Unlocking:
    Prior to launch, the plan was that Wind would unlock your phone for you after you had it for 3 months (and remained a customer). I have not seen anything stating that this policy has changed, although everything is new and being tweaked fairly frequently. I would be surprised if it is decided that unlocking will not be done at all though, so don't give up hope.

Sim Only Sales:
    These are coming soon! Likely in 1-2 weeks sim cards will be for sale. I've seen a lot of people on here asking for it, although I'm not convinced that there are many people that can actually make use of it.
    The thing is that WIND uses the AWS 3G in Band 4, which is a very rarely used GSM band. However, a LOT of manufacturers are coming out with fully unlocked multiband phones straight from the manufacturer (Nokia, Samsung, Google, etc), or have specific models for AWS (T-Mobile USA).

AFAIK, the biggies that are coming out in 2010 (Google Nexus One, Sony Ericsson X10, Nokia N900 Canadian version unlocked, etc) will all have a GSM AWS multiband compatability built in. Best thing to do is to research, and if all else fails, research some more
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 12-18-2009 at 12:16 PM.
    Geek

My Ride
    Sentra

I can't believe they launched with that coverage in Calgary and say they cover Calgary. That's very weak indeed. They should have waited.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Originally posted by 403ep3

Sadly the cost to Robellus is not that much cheaper than 600-650.. Tell BB to drop their prices and you can be much happier.
    Why would Wind have a lower cost on the 9700 then Telus would? Telus obviously buys way more BB's so you would think they can buy them for at least the same price...

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Just released news from the guy that runs Howard Forums

http://www.howardchui.com/2009/12/18...on-the-launch/

^^^^

Quoted to save you the one click

Interview with Interview: Wind Mobile Chairman Anthony Lacavera: Thoughts on the Launch

December 18th, 2009

I just got off the phone with Anthony Lacavera. Now that Wind has officially launched I got some of his thoughts.

Before I start one funny thing happened during our phone intereview – the call dropped. If you remember my video interview a while back Anthony was using a Bold 9000 on Rogers. Well today is his last day using the 9000 – he’s waiting for his BES to switch over to a 9700 on Wind.

First off I asked him what he was doing when he heard that Tony Clement was overturning the CRTC’s decision. Turns out he was watching BNN when he heard an announcement was going to be made.

I also asked him what Globalive/Wind was up to during the time from when the CRTC said ‘no go’ to Wind to when they were over ruled. Turns out they were working on increasing their existing coverage .

Now that Wind has launched next on are launches in Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver – sometime in Q1. With new cities should also come with new handset launches.

Along with those cities Wind will be increasing their existing coverage East, West, North, South. For example in Ontario Wind should be available in Kitchner, Waterloo, Guelph, Chatham and then joining the coverage from those areas with the Toronto coverage.

If you’ve noticed Wind’s data service has a provision where they may throttle your speed if you go over 5GB a month. I mentioned that the moment I get to try a modem I will be downloading non stop till I hit 5GB to see what happens. Apparently throttling will depend on network load and may not necessarily be automatic. So if no one else is using their Wind phone in your area you might not get throttled.

We should expect more announcements in January.

Now Wind doesn’t have a lot of choices for data. If you get the Blackberry Bold 9700 you can get a $10 or a $35 plan while the Maple just has a $35 plan. The reason why is because Wind wants to stay away from buckets.

We should expect a Wind Mobile aimed more at the prepaid-y type customer. They’re still figuring out what to call the service. Yak Mobile anyone?

You can’t buy individual SIM cards yet but you will be able to eventually – you can use unlocked AWS phones (like T-Mobile ones) with Wind.

He stressed that Wind wants your feedback. They need to know when calls are dropping, how they can improve service. The existing carriers have a 20 year head start so Wind is catching up as fast as they can.

If you have comments on Wind make sure you check out our Wind Section at HowardForums.
    Geek

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Originally posted by blownz

Why would Wind have a lower cost on the 9700 then Telus would? Telus obviously buys way more BB's so you would think they can buy them for at least the same price...
    Cuz Telus/Rogers/Bell sort of "inflate" their buy-out prices on their most popular phones to give a greater "attraction" (so to speak)/inventive to sign up for a 3 year contract. Normal consumer = "hey, do I pay $650 for it...or $199??", for the un-tech savvy consumer, the $199 is often the easy "choice". Once they have you signed, they profit off that more than they would if you just bought it outright (in most cases).

Originally posted by rumeo

Were you close to the US border? You could have been hitting towers there. If it happened recently, I would call in and get your money refunded.
    Interesting...

I've never been charged roaming on Telus within Canada for Data or texting. I think you guys got screwed! Data and Texting are the same no matter where you are in Canada, as far as I know voice calls are the only thing that you can get charged for.

I have a blackberry 8830 WE.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by toyboy88

Cuz Telus/Rogers/Bell sort of "inflate" their buy-out prices on their most popular phones to give a greater "attraction" (so to speak)/inventive to sign up for a 3 year contract. Normal consumer = "hey, do I pay $650 for it...or $199??", for the un-tech savvy consumer, the $199 is often the easy "choice". Once they have you signed, they profit off that more than they would if you just bought it outright (in most cases).
    To expand on that, I remember seeing Chris Robbins (WIND CCO) explain at one of the press conferences that WIND sells their phones at or very nearly at cost, as most of the consumer side profit will come from their plans and accessory sales.

And to be honest... I actually don't mind buying a phone outright. You don't see people whining about Xbox 360's when they spend $299 for one about how they can't get it on contract :P I like to OWN things, not borrow them (just my $0.02)
    Geek

My Ride
    Sentra

Yes, buying outright is the way to go. At the same time if you have a great plan and have no reason to think you would need to switch, using a credit to get it cheaper isn't bad. However things change so much in 3 years, especially now, I can't even see myself signing a contract, despite having a wicked corp plan through Bell with unlimited data.

I hope WIND does good, I really do.

Originally posted by GoChris
    Yes, buying outright is the way to go. At the same time if you have a great plan and have no reason to think you would need to switch, using a credit to get it cheaper isn't bad. However things change so much in 3 years, especially now, I can't even see myself signing a contract, despite having a wicked corp plan through Bell with unlimited data.

I hope WIND does good, I really do.
    this has been the only reason why i have always extended my contract with rogers.

my plan was good and i always got credits for a new phone

so why not?

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Originally posted by toyboy88

I don't disagree with you, but 403EP3 made it sound like Telus has a higher cost then Wind by saying "Sadly the cost to Robellus is not that much cheaper than 600-650"...

Anyone planning on getting hooked up with WIND today or just waiting it out until they're more established?

My Ride
    is Turbocharged.

I think i might go by the kensington wind thing and check it out today.

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

Originally posted by blownz

I don't disagree with you, but 403EP3 made it sound like Telus has a higher cost then Wind by saying "Sadly the cost to Robellus is not that much cheaper than 600-650"...

403ep3 is right though, from the outright price they show you, they have subsidized it, but not by much...

As far as I know, the 9700 costs Robellus somewhere in the range of 500-550. I am pretty sure that they don't lost money when their employees purchase hardware.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Apparently, the Google Nexus One will be AWS 3G only, so it will only work with WIND in Canada...

http://androidcommunity.com/google-n...maps-20091218/

T-Mobile USA operates on the exact same band and frequencies (3G AWS Band 4) as Wind does
    Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Via this post on HoFo: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1602366

Edmonton's current Wind towers (ie those already built and ready to go)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...%2C0.0262&z=16 (zoom out a few steps to see the towers)

Looks like they're trying to cover all 4 corners + Leduc, same idea as the expansion plans for Calgary for Airdrie/Chestemere/Cochrane/Okotoks/etc

Also, word is circulating at rumor-speed that Edmonton should be ready for a late January or February launch
    Geek

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast