Quantcast
Windmobile.ca Launched - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Windmobile.ca Launched

My Ride
    Sentra

It's actually quite amazing just how many towers you really need to cover a city.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by sneek
    As far as I know, the 9700 costs Robellus somewhere in the range of 500-550. I am pretty sure that they don't lost money when their employees purchase hardware.
    It probably costs them less. Sure they don't lose money on it, but I bet you they still make money.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

Originally posted by Quizzes
    Anyone planning on getting hooked up with WIND today or just waiting it out until they're more established?
    I'll wait until February and see. At this rate, you might as well just stick with Telus.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

FINALLY!

Right now I pay over 400 dollars a month for my cell (which I use for biz) along with a seperate sim card for my PCMCIA HSDPA card...

Are they going to allow porting eventually?

I might just go ahead and switch even if I can't bring my number...

Finally a new provider!
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

Originally posted by Zhariak
    FINALLY!

Right now I pay over 400 dollars a month for my cell (which I use for biz) along with a seperate sim card for my PCMCIA HSDPA card...

Finally a new provider!

Eventually they will let you port. I would wait it out before you switch, I'm sure they still have a lot of bugs to work out.

My Ride
    TDi

As far as I know, the 9700 costs Robellus somewhere in the range of 500-550. I am pretty sure that they don't lost money when their employees purchase hardware.
    Lol i worked for rogers and and bell and we got NO DEALS on any of the phones. We had to pay the same price that regular consumers have to pay. I also did ordering at bell and a bit at rogers and the prices of the phones were the exact same price.

I work (seasonally) for Futureshop right now and I saw their prices as well, for Robellus, and they are near cost that of Bell/Telus/Rogers as well.

It's probably different when the actually companies, Robellus and Futureshop, buy from Blackberry but who knows? $450 is a damn good deal. I am thinking about going with WIND.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    is in the works.

Originally posted by 403ep3

Lol i worked for rogers and and bell and we got NO DEALS on any of the phones. We had to pay the same price that regular consumers have to pay. I also did ordering at bell and a bit at rogers and the prices of the phones were the exact same price.
    We got deals at Bell...well before they re-branded, I don't know about now

My Ride
    TDi

That's the rewards system. If you checked the ordering website, SA, the prices were set the same as the webpage.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Zhariak
    FINALLY!

Sounds like you need the $45 plan :P And they do have an addon if you ARE a business type that does a lot of calling to the US where the US is considered a local zone for $10 extra a month (so realistically, $55 a month for unlimited calling anywhere in North America as long as you're in a home zone (which are Calgary and Toronto right now)). And, the data plan DOES allow tethering, if that's what you need. If you need JUST the internet, you can get a USB stick with sim card for $55 at HSPA 3G speed unlimited data, otherwise just get a BB Bold 9700 and get the Infinite blackberry addon ($35) and pay a grand total of $80 for canada wide calling and data unlimited, or $90 for North America wide calling and data unlimited. I am not pimping them out any, this is from the information freely available on http://www.windmobile.ca

Word around the rumor mill says next week porting should be available. Since the system is still new, they're deploying in mini-stages... first are new subscribers, then porters, and then finally sim-only for use in unlocked AWS 3G phones (ie N900, Nexus One, X10, etc)

Finally a new provider!
    Yep! I plan on getting a Bold 9700 this weekend... I just wanted to sit back and see how the Calgary launch went (and from all reports, it was a roaring success). I even played around a bit with the MS Surface at the store, cool little bit of kit
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 12-19-2009 at 02:41 AM.
    Geek

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by scat19

lmao, not home as in your house.

Home area as in your local calling area.

Like rogers, step out of Calgary, it'll start to be LD.

Calgary coverage map is weak:

Red is current, yellow is expansion.
    lmao is right... at the coverage

i would be out of the 'home' area all the time.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by 8Ball

lmao is right... at the coverage

i would be out of the 'home' area all the time.

Then wait a month or two I called Wind today and asked about the coverage in Calgary, and they say that across the network they are bringing 11-20 towers online per business day, and are building towers as fast as they can in Calgary and Toronto. So I would expect the full coverage to be in place probably by February, if I had to hedge my bets
    Geek

My Ride
    2006 G35 Coupe

Originally posted by blownz

Why would Wind have a lower cost on the 9700 then Telus would? Telus obviously buys way more BB's so you would think they can buy them for at least the same price...
    They have a lower cost not necessarily due to the mark up of Robelus, but because Orascom has a shitload more buying power than Robelus put together.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by TC06

They have a lower cost not necessarily due to the mark up of Robelus, but because Orascom has a shitload more buying power than Robelus put together.
    That, and the fact that Orascom/Globalive/WIND sells handsets at cost or marginally higher. So, for example, if Wind got the Bold at a cost of $425, they're only making $25 per handset sale. They have openly stated many times that accessories and plans are where they are gaining their profit margins from.

And even better... take a peek at Rogers' stock as of late

WIND really is changing the market, slowly, but they are changing it.

I honestly can't see how Robellus will respond to even come close to a challenge in the next few months, and by the time they DO get competitive again, whoops, there's Dave Mobile with better plans and, oh boy, no contracts, just like Wind :P The big 3 are finally facing their match, and I really can't see them holding a monopoly anymore.... meaning, finally, in 20 years time, we're going to be in a competitive market!

Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Updated about 10 hours ago, I kinda missed seeing it... this is for those that want SIM-only purchases (so you can buy an unlocked AWS phone off ebay or from the companies that make them and just put a SIM in)

http://www.windmobile.ca/support/faq...nd/#question-1
    Geek

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Bla,

After checking in to it, I can't use my Xperia X1 on their AWS network...

And my Xperia is new too I always buy new unlocked and try to keep phone purchases down to 1 a year...

Maybe I'll need to sell the Xperia on ebay, and fork out the 1000 bucks for a N900

I just need to find out how good Exchange mail works on it
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    is an Experience.

Originally posted by 403ep3

I work (seasonally) for Futureshop right now and I saw their prices as well, for Robellus, and they are near cost that of Bell/Telus/Rogers as well.

It's probably different when the actually companies, Robellus and Futureshop, buy from Blackberry but who knows? $450 is a damn good deal. I am thinking about going with WIND.
    Were you actually working for Rogers/Bell or for one of the dealers? also the costs you were looking at, were they for contract prices or buying the phone outright? only reason I ask is that I know Telus gives discounts on contract prices for there employees (not dealers) and they are typically around a 100$ savings.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

OH SNAP! New phone on the left, old phone on the right. I think it's a slight upgrade XD

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

The bold is so amazingly awesome... light, but feels so solid. The trackpad is amazingly sensitive but easy to control. Screen is bright and high rez. It's such an awesome awesome phone
    Geek

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by DannyO

Were you actually working for Rogers/Bell or for one of the dealers? also the costs you were looking at, were they for contract prices or buying the phone outright? only reason I ask is that I know Telus gives discounts on contract prices for there employees (not dealers) and they are typically around a 100$ savings.

I worked at both corporate stores and they were the prices we had to pay if we wanted to order them for our stores. The discounts cell phone companies give are crap. I like this idea of 450 for a bold 2 though.
    GO FLAMES GO!

According to a Rogers insider on HoFo, the cost of a Bold 2 is $430 in quantities of 10,000.

I've never been charged roaming on Telus within Canada for Data or texting. I think you guys got screwed! Data and Texting are the same no matter where you are in Canada, as far as I know voice calls are the only thing that you can get charged for.
    That's the reason I won't be changing to WIND anytime soon. As it stands right now, I travel back and forth between Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton & Calgary for business quite often. With Rogers I use my plan's data tethering & calling with MY10 anywhere across Canada without incurring extra charge.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast