Quantcast
Ticket for crashing with no winter tires - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticket for crashing with no winter tires

Default Ticket for crashing with no winter tires

'Fine' idea heads to council
    By MICHAEL PLATT

Last Updated: 23rd December 2009, 4:57am

Snowy conditions like those seen here on Memorial Dr. are far from uncommon on city roads, and Ald. Diane Colley-Urquhart says Calgarians should drive carefully or pay a price. (Mike Drew, Sun) Achtung, baby.

The streets of Calgary, already peppered with Bavarian cars, may soon be getting a taste of Germanic law, as one alderman tries to regulate more responsible winter driving.

"I believe this is a far better approach," said Ald. Diane Colley-Urquhart, of her decision to stall on a motion for mandatory winter tires, in favour of a German-style law for Calgary drivers.

In the land of BMWs, Volkswagens and Mercedes, the polizei can fine you for having the wrong tires, if you lose control.

Cause a crash or clog traffic, and police will examine your tires -- if they aren't winter treads, you'll be fined around $70, if the German formula is followed.

Of course, it's one thing to admire a German law and another thing to convince Alberta lawmakers to copy the Teutonic example.

But Colley-Urquhart will try -- she's bringing the idea to the Calgary Police Commission and city council, to determine how to make it work here.

She wants Calgary drivers to share the burden when it comes to keeping traffic moving in the winter months, and Colley-Urquhart believes bad driving on sub-par tires is as much to blame as a paltry snow budget. It's hard to argue, when a single compact car can turn Deerfoot into a walking-pace procession of frustrated motorists.

It was just after 9 a.m. yesterday when a red hatchback landed in the ditch just north of 16th Ave., requiring fire trucks, tow trucks and police to clear the crash scene.

Meanwhile, thousands of motorists -- workers, shoppers, truckers and so on -- inched pass, their time wasted.

The road, so often blamed, was as plowed and groomed as a Calgary freeway gets during a mid-December deep freeze.

Perfect road conditions, relatively speaking, yet the driver of the red car somehow lost control, spun around, and then ended up in the ditch, impacting thousands of people in the process.

And that, in one annoying example, explains why Colley-Urquhart won't abandon her belief that motorists need to take more responsibility. Instead of compulsory tires, she wants fines.

That's good news for those who were nervous about mandatory snow treads and a possible tab in the range of $800 for four winter tires.

Colley-Urquhart is no longer convinced provincial tire regulation is the answer.

She says the loud outcry over her upcoming motion to make winter tires the law in Alberta has convinced her that forcing people is not the way to go.

"With the feedback to this point, I'm leaning toward filing (the motion)," said Colley-Urquhart.

She drafted the motion after a blizzard of complaints reached the city, with angry drivers blaming a tight-fisted city council for skimping on snow clearing and causing mayhem on the streets.

Pouring millions more into the snow-clearing budget may help, but Colley-Urquhart said drivers must shoulder some responsibility, and that should include proper tires for the conditions.

Now, she's changed her mind, but not about motorists taking more responsibility.

Inspired by an editorial penned by this scribe on Sunday, Colley-Urquhart has asked Calgary Police Chief Rick Hanson and city Transportation boss John Hubbell to study the German law.

That country passed its winter driving rule in 2006, after considering a mandatory snow tire law like Sweden and Finland.

Just like Calgary last week, there was an outcry from German motorists unhappy about the expense, despite well-documented tests showing snow tires improve traction, braking and cornering.

So, Germany left the decision up to the driver, with a warning -- or achtung, as it were.

Choose all-season tires, and you choose to drive carefully -- because if you get stuck, there's a fine of about $35. Cause a traffic snarl, like the little red compact in the Deerfoot ditch yesterday, and the fine doubles.

Colley-Urquhart thinks the German model for winter motoring leaves the decision on tires up to the driver, while encouraging safer, more sensible winter driving.

"Everyone has to do their part -- drive safely and have proper equipment for road conditions," said Colley-Urquhart.

[email protected]

My Ride
    Cayman

good idea

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Similar to a couple beyonders in that they will not push someone elses car if they don't have winters on. Haha.

As a whole i dont run winters due to the fact that i am cheap and drive for the conditions. However, i think this is a fantastic idea!

I think it only should be inforced if in fact does cause an accident or hold up in traffic. It would be stupid to ticket good drivers that dont get into accidents simply for the type of tire.

great idea

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-15-2019 at 02:26 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

Now take it to the next level and add tax incentives or insurance incentives to running winter tires... and this will be a perfect !!.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

please do this!!!!! but 70 isn't very steep so I would suggest upping that a bit...

Originally posted by hampstor
    Now take it to the next level and add tax incentives or insurance incentives to running winter tires... and this will be a perfect !!.
    Agreed, making it much more affordable to get winter tires and just making the roads safer for everyone.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Hey, I have an idea...why don't we just get the government to hold our peckers while we pee too!

Accidents happen when people operate their vehicles beyond it's capabililty for the road conditions. The people that drive too fast with regular tires are still going to drive too fast with winters. They'll just crash at higher speeds now.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    02' dc5

This is a smart alderman doing something for once.
    I hate traffic in the winter because some dumb people are bad drivers and refuse to put winters on.

When your sitting in a traffic jam for 20 mintues because them they should have to pay for your time wasted and the emergency vehicles that come; $70 is not enough triple that and people will be forced to buy winters

My Ride
    2005 F350

so what happens if the one with all-season tires on isn't at fault in the accident? is it automatically their fault?

you people really want more laws and regulations? the government already has enough "protect the people from themselves" laws. we don't need any more...
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Drivers without the proper tires for the conditions, which means 7C or below are simply being cheap and careless towards others on public roads. One wonders if these same careless drivers also are also all for texting and cell phone use while driving?

The law ought to read, no winter tires, no insurance.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Hey, I have an idea...why don't we just get the government to hold our peckers while we pee too!

Accidents happen when people operate their vehicles beyond it's capabililty for the road conditions. The people that drive too fast with regular tires are still going to drive too fast with winters. They'll just crash at higher speeds now.
    It will happen the day when people fail to control their own stream. With the growing population of the new species homo idiot sapiens, it may happen sooner than you think.

Originally posted by hampstor
    Perfect

Im surprised no one has said "How about we get some real plows and start plowing properly instead of this shit."

Or is it just too early in the day. Im sure someone will not read the body of the thread and reply that soon...

My Ride
    nissan

this is forward thinking.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    It's not just about accidents. It's about keeping traffic MOVING in the winters, which is why I'm all for this and mandatory winter tires.

Cause a crash or clog traffic, and police will examine your tires -- if they aren't winter treads, you'll be fined around $70, if the German formula is followed.

Of course, it's one thing to admire a German law and another thing to convince Alberta lawmakers to copy the Teutonic example.

But Colley-Urquhart will try -- she's bringing the idea to the Calgary Police Commission and city council, to determine how to make it work here.

She wants Calgary drivers to share the burden when it comes to keeping traffic moving in the winter months, and Colley-Urquhart believes bad driving on sub-par tires is as much to blame as a paltry snow budget. It's hard to argue, when a single compact car can turn Deerfoot into a walking-pace procession of frustrated motorists.
    I'm surprised the global warming folks aren't all over this. We use over twice as much fuel and double the emissions when we're stuck in traffic.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    How exactly can you fine somebody for not having winter tires if it isn't a bylaw

Officer: "Yes you are right, it is not illegal... here is your ticket"

Also what tires are going to fall into this catagory; summer tires? All-Seasons? What about M/T, A/T, and those geared more for snow with the M+S rating?
    They'll probably add a new section in the Highway Traffic Act that deals with tires. Surprisingly (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), there are no regulations on tires in the HTA right now. No minimum tread depth requirements, nothing. You can run on a bare rim with no tire on it, and there's no "law" where you can get a ticket.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    You can run on a bare rim with no tire on it, and there's no "law" where you can get a ticket.
    They would probably get you on stunting or careless driving.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-15-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast