Quantcast
Builder Deck or Build My Own? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Builder Deck or Build My Own?

Default Builder Deck or Build My Own?

My builder is asking just over $4000 for a 10' x 14' walkout deck. Pressure treated wood with painted wooden railing.

Is this a good deal or can I find a (good) contractor that can build it for cheaper?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I built my deck (my brother and I) for $1,200 and some beer.

It is a 14 x 14 deck. Took a weekend of sweat equity.

A deck isn't that hard to build so if you have a little bit of carpentry skills I say do it yourself.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Decks are pretty easy to do if you have the time and proper tools. I say go for it on your own.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

If it was a ground level deck, I wouldn't have a second thought about building it myself. However, as stated in my original post, this is a walkout deck so there's a massive safety issue here. Unlike a normal deck, the potential for serious injuries or death is very high if I make a mistake when building it. I wouldn't want to get anxious everytime I see someone step onto the walkout deck I built which is why I'd like to pay for the peace of mind a professional would provide.

Originally posted by koopkoop2
    If it was a ground level deck, I wouldn't have a second thought about building it myself. However, as stated in my original post, this is a walkout deck so there's a massive safety issue here. Unlike a normal deck, the potential for serious injuries or death is very high if I make a mistake when building it. I wouldn't want to get anxious everytime I see someone step onto the walkout deck I built which is why I'd like to pay for the peace of mind a professional would provide.
    Just remember that just because someone charges you to build a deck, it doesn't make them a professional. If you build it yourself with some help, you can over-engineer the deck to ensure its safe.
    ---

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

rent and set up some scaffolding.

Get harnesses if you are really worried.

I look at all the decks that my builder built... some are sinking.

^
    Yeah, I know. That's why the usual "background check" on any home contractor would apply in this case.

Anyways, this thread is starting to get off-topic. Anyone know an answer for what I asked in OP.

Thanks.

EDIT: Oops meant for kenny's post.

If you're set on hiring someone to build it, go with the builder. They'll be easier to deal with if anything ever goes wrong.
    ---

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by kenny
    If you're set on hiring someone to build it, go with the builder. They'll be easier to deal with if anything ever goes wrong.
    And you can roll the cost of it into your mortgage, if you have one.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

We were considering a walk-out lot, we asked the builder if we could delete the deck and do it ourselves.
    We were told for safety reasons, they would not allow us to delete the deck.

We had no option then but to go with the builder deck (but it was included in the price of the home so we would have only rec'd a credit).

In the end - we changed lots (many reasons) and settled on a non-walkout.

Yep that's the Alberta Building Code and not the builder just so you are aware. You won't find any builder that will let you do your own deck when you have a walk out. It does make sense. Even then $4,000 isn't much so I'd personally wonder what the quality would be.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

OP, you have PM!
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Originally posted by quazimoto
    Yep that's the Alberta Building Code and not the builder just so you are aware. You won't find any builder that will let you do your own deck when you have a walk out. It does make sense. Even then $4,000 isn't much so I'd personally wonder what the quality would be.
    That's odd. I wonder why we're allowed to build our own then.

You legally can't take possession of a new home without that being completed. No proper building inspect will give the house the all good without it.

My Ride
    Lease

There was a thread about 1 year ago about a shitty deck built by a contractor. I'm trying to find it and will edit in if I find it. But maybe someone remembers.

Hahahaha....I was just thinking of that very same thread, Tom!! too lazy now...but the pictures tell the whole story. If you find it....post them up!

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/267569/yo...the-deck-work/

Sinking decks on walkout lots are a common problem because of the excavation at the rear not being properly compacted and not properly supporting the footings holding up the deck posts.

The comment about the decks and the building code isn't 100% correct. It is a safety issue, but it's not code that you have to build a deck. More than likely the issue is how you secure the rear door that accesses the area where the deck would be. If you have a rear swing type door, the builder can "dummy" the lock so that you can't open the door and fall to the walkout level. In the case of a sliding door, there isn't really any way to disable the door so the easiest way to prevent someone from falling is building the deck.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

That's odd. I wonder why we're allowed to build our own then.
    i am not 100% convinced it's code unless something has changed in the past few years. when we built out 1st home in the nw there were plenty of homes on walkouts who did not have the builder do the deck for them. the owners did the decks later on. my understanding at the time was that as long as the door / lock mechanism was disabled so no one could open the back door and there was a functional basement walk out door then you were fine.

You'd be surprised how often that building code changes. 90% of the homes in Calgary do not have properly insulated garages with vapor barrier and drywall that is taped.

This is also part of the new alberta building code.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast