Quantcast
Priorities changed, need reliable vehicle for under $5000... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Priorities changed, need reliable vehicle for under $5000...

Default Priorities changed, need reliable vehicle for under $5000...

Well my dreams of having a fun fast car aren't looking too good. Every one i look into ends up being too expensive on insurance, not safe etc... I dont think im asking for alot, but Im having a hard time finding something. This is all i really need:

Safe
    Reliable
    seats 4
    cheap on insurance
    parts aren't crazy expensive
    fun

dont care about much else, would like a 5 speed and rwd but im not picky on that.

I was looking at an e30, but insurance would bankrupt me.

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Can't go wrong with a civic, parts are cheap, car is reliable, you can get mods to make the car faster. You can probably get an integra as well around that price.

It's the most common answer you'll get from this forum, but it's common because the solution works.

My Ride
    93 GC8

Originally posted by JordanAndrew
    Can't go wrong with a civic, parts are cheap, car is reliable, you can get mods to make the car faster. You can probably get an integra as well around that price.

It's the most common answer you'll get from this forum, but it's common because the solution works.
    I got my civic for a little under 5k and its been great so far. Another possible answer could be a 240SX, but it can be hard to find one that's not ridiculously modded, or ridiculously rusted/crapped out

My Ride
    Z

240sx don't buy a fwd piece. I hate my integra its slow as BALLS and torque steers

edit: do you have any mechanical ability whatsoever?
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    A twin turbo boat & a twin turbo station wagon

240 is slow unless it has a sr20 or some other engine, even then it's slow...

Get a gc8 wrx, it's fast for what it is and extremely fun/reliable

Originally posted by SRT10Killer
    Oh yes, a 15 year old subaru is extremely reliable

Get a cavalier like every other high school student.

Originally posted by g-m
    240sx don't buy a fwd piece. I hate my integra its slow as BALLS and torque steers

edit: do you have any mechanical ability whatsoever?
    Somewhat, I dont have any formal training but i pick up things quick and can usually figure things out. Ive done minor work on my previous cars, but nothing that involves tearing down the engine.

My Ride

Originally posted by anschutz_92

My 18 year old soarer is more reliable than my dad's 2004 maxima and is probably more or as reliable than most 5 year old local cars. Don't compare JDM cars to local cars, average JDM car travels 9k/year and has to go through a 300 point inspection (shaken) every 2 years

About the cavalier, yes get one and then buy another one next month when it craps out
    Last edited by SRT10Killer; 12-24-2009 at 07:08 PM.

haha, already had a cavalier and hated every minute of it. Such a POS that car was. The interior was SO cheap. Blah

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

I have a MINT 1993 LS400!!!! SUPER CLEAN...way under your budget

Don't compare JDM cars to local cars, average JDM car travels 9k/year and has to go through a 300 point inspection (shaken) every 2 years
    It's hard to make that comparison when everybody and their dog knows that 15y/o turbo cars are unreliable at best. Now just imagine what happens when you buy a 15 y/o car, sight unseen from Japan, throw it on a boat and sell it for a cool 2k profit... Oh that's right you get all those POS in the market place which are selling for <$6000.

JDM's had their time to shine almost five years ago. Your a little late to be sucking on their nuts.

But yes, try to tell everyone that a 1995 Subaru WRX with 135k km (9k/yrx15) is going to be just as reliable than a 2006 STI with 30k km.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by kawana

haha, already had a cavalier and hated every minute of it. Such a POS that car was. The interior was SO cheap. Blah
    Yeah dont get a cavalier Fuck sakes.

I dont know... I ended up with a '99 Saturn SL2 (my winter car) thats been in my family since new. I can honestly say that thing is built like a tank. I beat the piss out of it and ONLY drive it in the winter, and it just takes and takes it. I swear it'll never die.

Definitely not a "sports" car, but still surprisingly nimble and fun to boot around in. I get 42mpg on the highway.. and its dirt cheap to own and operate. I have 293k on mine and it still has yet to break down ONCE. Its just been regular maintenance this whole time

Not exactly the sort of car that would drop girl's underwear at the drop of a hat: but I think for a young kid like you, you need something reliable and VERY cheap to buy, own & operate, and that'll fit your budget very nicely. You can get a '97-02 for WELL under your budget.
    The DOHC engine (only in the SL2 & SC2) is just bulletproof. Dont get an SL1, those engines aren't nearly as good.

Its just something to consider. Dont get an eagle Talon, whatever you do. Probably best for you to stick for a left hand drive car for your first car, just for safety reasons, and one that isn't a turbo.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 12-24-2009 at 10:02 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride

It's hard to make that comparison when everybody and their dog knows that 15y/o turbo cars are unreliable at best. Now just imagine what happens when you buy a 15 y/o car, sight unseen from Japan, throw it on a boat and sell it for a cool 2k profit... Oh that's right you get all those POS in the market place which are selling for &lt;$6000.

JDM's had their time to shine almost five years ago. Your a little late to be sucking on their nuts.

But yes, try to tell everyone that a 1995 Subaru WRX with 135k km (9k/yrx15) is going to be just as reliable than a 2006 STI with 30k km.
    It is hard when you've never owned one just dangling off the sacks of others who say exactly the same thing while only assuming, or bought one and didn't know how to take care of it blowing it up as a result.

I drove 3 different jdm cars for 3 years and all I had to do was change oil/filter regularly on my soarer over 3 years.

I hate to bust your balls, but JDM's are only going to get more popular, rev3 mr-2's just became available, TT legacy's, 1995 sti will be available this year, and next year evo 4's and vvit soarers. I hope you can imagine what will happen in the next few years in the marketplace

Why are you comparing a car that's worth 30k+ to something worth 5-9k ? It's no secret that a local 5 year old car will have more than 100k on it unless it's an "occasional vehicle"
    Last edited by SRT10Killer; 12-25-2009 at 12:37 AM.

early 90s volvo

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
    early 90s volvo
    QFT, it's going to be cheap on insurance and safe as hell.

My Ride
    RHD-S13/LHD-S13

Lol says 3800lb dodge stealth. I bet an sr20 with only exhaust and a boost controller would bend your shit over.

My Ride
    X100 | A80

Originally posted by cjay^

Lol says 3800lb dodge stealth. I bet an sr20 with only exhaust and a boost controller would bend your shit over.
    No kidding, then he suggests a WRX is much faster? SR20, like almost any turbo motor have so much potential, they're all fast enough.
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by g-m
    ur integra doesn't have torque steer... u have to have torque for that

My Ride

Originally posted by cjay^

rofl why not stock for stock ? I can add a boost controller also..
    Don't be mad cause your s13s are slow as shit unless modded. Don't even bother comparing a stock gc8 with a stock 240 even with a sr20

btw I'll take that bet

My Ride
    has lace's

I've owned both, and i'd say my sr20 is pulling on the ej20, not by much but its faster..

*edit.

Dont get me wrong, not saying ANYTHING bad about GC8's unreal cars in every aspect.
    Last edited by maxomilll; 12-25-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast