Quantcast
Help Me pick a NAS device - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help Me pick a NAS device

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Help Me pick a NAS device

Help me pick a NAS device. I've read a couple of the older threads on this topic, but I think this is an area where the technology changes pretty quickly, so fresh opinions would be appreciated. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to networking, so go easy on me.

I need some network storage. Here are my requirements
    - Must work as a print server
    - Must use multiple drives in some form of RAID array for backup. ( I think Raid 1 would be sufficient)
    - Must be able to run by itself in my basement without an attached always-on computer.
    - Must be accessible to any computer connected to the network (hence the need for NAS, not just larger storage on one computer)

Would be nice if it was a bitTorrent server, but that's optional. Capacity-wise, I've been making do with 250 GB for a while now, so I'm thinking that 1.5 TB will last me a while.
    Not planning on streaming movies or any video from this device, so massive throughput is not a priority. Hoping to get a separate dedicated media device for movies in the future. For now I'll keep burning movies to DVD as needed.

I've been thinking two (or four) of the 1.5TB WD Caviar Green drives would be great for this application.

What would you suggest?
    I've been looking at these three:
    Mediasonic Pro Box 4 Bay 3.5in Enclosure
    D-Link DNS-323 2-Bay Gigabit Network Storage Enclosure w/ USB print server
    D-Link DNS-343 4-Bay Gigabit Network Storage Enclosure

Looks like Memory Express has two of these on sale until the 27th, so quick responses would be appreciated. I might go buy this on the 27th.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 12-25-2009 at 11:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    AWOL

Go to Google, enter model number then append "review" and click search. Read at least a couple... You'll have much better luck like that, rather than with a bunch of people who've never used them and/or don't care either way.

Based on OP's links, Im guessing he is looking for something a bit lower budget? Instead of those $400+ NAS, wouldnt it be better to just build a Windows Home Server?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by claxx
    [URL]
    What features of those more expensive NAS devices would be useful for me?
    Originally posted by nobb
    Based on OP's links, Im guessing he is looking for something a bit lower budget? Instead of those $400+ NAS, wouldnt it be better to just build a Windows Home Server?
    To build a windows home server, what do I need? Is that just software that I run on my main desktop PC? Would other computers attached to the network wirelessly be able to access the storage and printer? What if the "guest" laptops were running linux, or apple OS?

Like I said, I'm not a networking expert, so I don't really know the pros and cons of the different systems.

Purely based on price, I'm leaning towards the DNS-323 and 2x 1.5TB WB green drives. Total package is ~$350. If spending a few hundred more dollars would get me some "must have" features, then I'm willing.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I'd see if I could buy a scsi or sata HP storage array used or NOS... like storageworks 1000 or 1400 array... or you could just balls up for a proper Netapp!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

After reading RAID Guide - Overclockers club I think that I'd be going for RAID 1 in any 2 disk siystem and RAID 5 in any 4 or more disk system.

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    I'd see if I could buy a scsi or sata HP storage array used or NOS... like storageworks 1000 or 1400 array... or you could just balls up for a proper Netapp!
    I had a quick look at these, and I don't see any advantage for my small home system. Also, even used I doubt I'd find anything for as cheap as the systems I posted. What features make these desirable, aside from the wow factor when I've got other geeks in my basement?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Re: Help Me pick a NAS device

I guess that mediasonic box isn't right for me, as it has no RAID. They sell a RAID version of that one for $270 Mediasonic Pro RAID box 4 bay enclosure
    Still liking the look of the DNS-323

A customer of mine uses the DNS-323 and it's worked fine. Honestly, for what you want I can't imagine you needing any more than that. If you're not streaming and 1.5 TB is enough space for you then going to RAID 5 isn't going to make any difference either.

I think you've got a good thing in the DNS-323 and two WD Greens.

Now I've never tested his with Linux or Mac OS but I'm 99% sure the drives aren't formatted in NTFS. You should be able to quickly Google some verification that it works with those OSes.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Go with the 323, it's on sale now and a good deal at that price. You don't need anything else. LOL on the person who suggested NetApp....seriously? for home? Did you even read what the OP needs are, way overkill

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thanks Gents, I think I'm sold on the DNS-323. I'm planning on hitting up memex tomorrow to grab it. It's a couple bucks cheaper from NCIX, but they ship with UPS, and that's always a hassle, even for Canadian shipments. Easier to just jump in the car and get it right away.
    And to all those who suggested something much higher end than this solution, I'll keep that in mind for my next upgrade, or the one after that.

Thanks everyone!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Picked up the DNS-323 and 2x 1.5 TB Caviar Green drives today from MemEx. Setup was a little frustrating, but I guess that's what happens when your wife installs three layers of firewall and doesn't remember when you ask her about it.

Anyway, it's up, it's working, and I'm transferring files.
    Can't wait to see how how BitTorrent works on it. It'll be much better not needing to leave my main PC on 24/7.
    Might even set it up as an FTP, since it's got that capability.

Thanks for all the help guys.