Quantcast
Beyond Games of the Year 2009 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Games of the Year 2009

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Default Beyond Games of the Year 2009

I did this at the end of 2008. I'm doing it again at the end of 2009.

What are your top 3 games (or, if one really shone out above the rest, your top 1 game) of the year? Also, reasons why if you feel like doing the extra typing. Also, remember, this is for games released in 2009, from January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009

For me:

1) Dragon Age: Origins

Epic scale RPG by the masters of the morality choice rpg genre. Each little decision you make affects the entire world. Deep yet simple tactics system allows for customizable combat. Characters you actually care about. Genuinely funny moments. Overall awesome game.

2) Demon's Souls

Hardest game of the year. It's like a return to the first Devil May Cry on nightmare mode, mixed together with the first Ninja Gaiden for NES. More than a few hairs have been torn out of the head playing this game.

3) Tie:

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Awesome action adventure beat-em-up game, with excellent production value. The Joker and Harley Quinn together raising hell. Dark, twisted plotline. Pretty much, you get the play the goddamned Batman in a game that FINALLY feels like you're playing as the goddamned Batman.

Mirror's Edge (PC version)

Controversial choice, I know, but the minimalistic approach tied with the inventive parkour system means that the game gets a mention solely for the reason that it was inventive and different than 95% of the games out there. Also... the first game that has really EVER given me a sense of height and vertigo while teetering on the edge of a 500 meter tall skyscraper :P
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 12-29-2009 at 10:14 AM.
    Geek

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

1) Tower Defence - fucking game takes up too much time and you just can't stop!

2) Dragon age: Origins - have only played it for a few hours, but am really liking it.

3) Command and Conquer: Red Alert - oldie, but I just discovered it. Skirmish battles against the computer are awesome. I have yet to beat it, and for that reason alone, I love it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

1. NHL10
    2. MADDEN10
    3. MX vs ATV Reflex

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

1) LittleBigPlanet (released Oct 2008, so I counted it) - Probably "invested" hundreds of hours!

2) Uncharted 2 - WOW. 'Nuff said.

3) Fallout 3 (also released Oct 2008) - Easily 150 hours into this game with different characters, expansions, etc.

My Ride
    2007 Acura TSX

For me:

1) Demon's Souls - this game is so addictive - I just have to beat Dragon God to wrap up NG+ now, but I keep going back to farm more Souls, hehe - I did a low Vit build which works great vs comp, but once I went online I started getting owned by Black Phantoms, so have to upgrade!!

2) Dragon's Age - Just started playing this game, and WOW. Love it already.

3) Street Fighter 4 - Love this game, still play online when I feel like an easy gaming session.

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

Battlefield 1943 was the only 2009 title I played a lot this year, everything else was older. I mostly play turn-based strategy and MMOs, and nothing really grabbed my attention.

I was especially disappointed by the DS this year. I've relied on it since it came out, and this is the first year it has let me down with the exception of GTA: Chinatown Wars.

Dragon Age that good hey? I watch my buddy playing it a few times, its a graphically GORGEOUS game and controls seem quite good. Maybe I'll get it off steam.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    Dragon Age that good hey? I watch my buddy playing it a few times, its a graphically GORGEOUS game and controls seem quite good. Maybe I'll get it off steam.
    I'm spending 4 hours a night on it now that I finally figured out how to play it....

My Ride
    2010 Hyundai Elantra

All of these are tied for first:

NHL 10 - Best hockey game ever for any console.

Uncharted 2 - Like someone above me said....WOW!...great game, great story, great characters and visually awesome.

MW2 - Best firstperson shooter ever. Single Player was fun, Multiplayer is awesome and the special ops is wicked, you can finally go split screen with another person at home.

My Ride
    Hatred

Default Re: Beyond Games of the Year 2009

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    [B]I did this at the end of 2008. I'm doing it again at the end of 2009.

What are your top 3 games (or, if one really shone out above the rest, your top 1 game) of the year? Also, reasons why if you feel like doing the extra typing. Also, remember, this is for games released in 2009, from January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009

For me:

1) Dragon Age: Origins

Epic scale RPG by the masters of the morality choice rpg genre. Each little decision you make affects the entire world. Deep yet simple tactics system allows for customizable combat. Characters you actually care about. Genuinely funny moments. Overall awesome game.

2) Demon's Souls

Hardest game of the year. It's like a return to the first Devil May Cry on nightmare mode, mixed together with the first Ninja Gaiden for NES. More than a few hairs have been torn out of the head playing this game.
    Demon's Souls makes me want to murder it's so damn frustratin so far. And I'm still at the very beginning. I have yet made it anywhere after trying to play it for a while 2 days in a row... I'm hoping I develop some skills in it eventually.
    -U

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

For me:

1) Left 4 Dead 2 - the co-op is extremely fun and satisfying. I like the whole teamwork aspect of the game.

2) Assassin's Creed 2 - great visuals and gameplay, open area non-linear exploration is amazing and the towns and thousands of inhabitants really make the game come alive.

3) Not sure never played MW2 or Dragon Age, so I guess I'll leave it blank. Maybe Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 because it's a classic and so damn hard.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

1) Demon's Souls - It kicked my ass over and over yet I kept coming back for more.

2) Dragon Age - May have been #1 had it not been for the average graphics and horrendous load times on the PS3 Version. If you love RPG's this game's for you but get the PC version if you can.

3) Uncharted 2 - A great albeit slightly overrated game. Closest game yet to a cinematic experience with beautiful visuals and excellent dialogue. The gameplay itself is nothing special and a little repetitive but the story is so good that you overlook the good not great gameplay. I liked the first one better but this is the best exclusive series on the PS3.

Honorable mentiones: Resident Evil 5, Borderlands, Batman: Arkham Asylum

Most overhyped/overrated game of the year: Killzone 2 - excellent visuals, totally average shooter.

Worst Ending: Borderlands

Arkham Asylum
    MW2
    NHL09

My Ride
    Audi

There was only 1 game I played thru the year - IPBRE / Inter BBS BRE. I spend my 10-15 minutes every day playing the turns.

1) Street Fighter IV
    2) Killzone 2
    3) Uncharted 2
    Last edited by Shunsui; 12-30-2009 at 07:52 PM.

#1 WII FIT
    2 - MF2
    3 - goldeneye 007

My Ride
    Civic SI / Ducati Monster

1) Dragons Age - For the story, hands down. Combat is easy, graphics are ok (console version), but the narrative is what gets me for sure!

2) Uncharted 2 - Fun multiplayer, great story, beautiful graphics... like a few people said it gets kind of repentitive between climbing and shooting, but if its fun then who cares?

3) Batman - I totaly thought this game was going to be a flop.... but wow was I supprised!

Runners Up:
    AC2
    MW2
    Demons Souls

Dragon Age Origins hands down.
    The only game for a while that FULLY lived up to the hype.

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

1) Dragon Age - Awesome game that keeps getting better the more time I put in.

2) Uncharted 2 - A close second, love the cinematics on this one, I couldn't stop playing it, unfortunately it was over far too soon!

3) Tie NHL '10 & MW2 - Both games are addictive and I found myself saying often to my Wife, "Yep, I'm coming to bed in a minute" only to look up again to realize several hours have past.

Games in 2010 I'm looking forward to:

1) Mass Effect 2 - I can't wait for this one, I might actually take the next day off from work to play this when it comes out - I've never done that before.

2) Red Dead Redemption - Looks cool and is something different. Rockstar pretty much always puts out great titles.

3) Dante's Inferno - The looks awesome, I'm worried that it will simply be a pretty hack 'n slash game. I'm not found of running into a room killing everything moving on, I like a game where I have to think a bit.

4) Heavy Rain - I might get this just to see how pretty it's going to be!

5) Alan Wake - Again, like Heavy Rain, this simply looks good and a little different then games from the past.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast