Quantcast
Calgary Roads - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calgary Roads

My Ride
    2012 Lexus IS-F

Default Calgary Roads

My cousin from California came to Calgary this summer for a wedding. We got to the topic of California roads. I remembered when I was in California the roads were in excellent conditions.

He said it takes about 2 weeks (max 3 weeks) to repair 1 mile of road. Then I remember 16 Ave and other road constructions in Calgary which took years to complete with large budget. Also, roads in Calgary sux, cracks are everywhere, pot holes take forever to fill.

Why does Calgary roads and constructions sux (union?) ? Yes… I know Calgary has crazy weathers and we don't have California weathers but it shouldn't take this long to do road constructions.. are other cities in Canada the same?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Calgary has less people/sq km.
    From this budget is down from a large city such as California, Calgary gets more varying weather conditions which have a say in how the roads last etc...

Although it doesn't look it, Calgary actually is pretty good on their road maint.

My Ride
    King Ranch with boots and a hat to match

Calgary will pave all of deerfoot in the time it takes LA to pave an offramp. Those repairs you see taking years aren't asphalt repairs it's usually huge underground pipe systems etc being repaired or newly installed.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

This is why you don't expand a city so quickly with such little population. Now you gotta spend more on maintenance.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by black13
    This is why you don't expand a city so quickly with such little population. Now you gotta spend more on maintenance.
    This.

Build UP

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

I don't know if you can compare the 16th Ave project to a "road fix" in California.

That was a major project to widen the road.

its cuz they go over budget... the the rest of the money "our tax money" go to things like painting the walls at train stabank rupttions and building a useless foot bridge to cross a damn river .

Another thing is because the city takes its time aproving some jobs that have already been planned and another reson is cuz these construction companies take a job that they cant handle and then call for a bankrupt and the job goes on hold to see what other companie takes it for less value....

My Ride
    Bicycle

No illegal Mexicans labor.

/thread

My Ride
    FB6

Different climates require different grades of asphalt too. Calgary needs asphalt that stands up to really hot summers and really cold winters, whereas Cali would only need the hotter end.

The contractions and expansions due to temperature changes also cause a lot of stress resulting in cracks. Cracks with cars driving over them overtime turn into larger gaps/pot holes.

My Ride
    Silverado

i heard in edmonton they just fill pot holes with gravel

Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
    ; go to things like painting the walls at train stabank rupttions and building a
    i honestly tried like 10 times to read this,i know the first mystery word is supposed to be "stations" (i think) but whats "rupttions" supposed to be?
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Uh, isn't California going bankrupt?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fun fact about that sixteenth avenue work. Not only did they have to do major upgrades to the undergound utilities, widen the road and realign it through several intersections. They also had to dig up some old streetcar tracks.
    Good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

We bitch and complain alot but Calgary roads in general are in much better shape than northern US cities.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Xtrema
    No illegal Mexicans labor.

/thread
    Aw damn, you beat me to it.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    4x4

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    They also had to dig up some old streetcar tracks.
    Good times.
    And it was an 'extra' - how the heck did we not know we had just paved over them?

Course I'm surprised there were streetcars on 16th, thought they were all in the d/t and beltline (out to mount royal) area?

Default Re: Calgary Roads

Originally posted by jadeboy
    My cousin from California came to Calgary this summer for a wedding. We got to the topic of California roads. I remembered when I was in California the roads were in excellent conditions.

He said it takes about 2 weeks (max 3 weeks) to repair 1 mile of road. Then I remember 16 Ave and other road constructions in Calgary which took years to complete with large budget. Also, roads in Calgary sux, cracks are everywhere, pot holes take forever to fill.

Why does Calgary roads and constructions sux (union?) ? Yes… I know Calgary has crazy weathers and we don't have California weathers but it shouldn't take this long to do road constructions.. are other cities in Canada the same?
    WOW .... are you trolling or just daft ?
    If you do a search ... or if you've been here AND ATTENTIVE you would of seen this topic come up numerous times .

So why ask now ? Your cousin was here in the summer , and you're just getting this now ?

The reasons the infrastructure in California is so much better than here:
    - cheap labour
    - climate allows them to use concrete which costs less than asphalt
    and the big one:
    - insane property tax (San Diego's tax is about 3-4 times what Calgary's is). A friend living in a SD suburb is paying over $8,000 a year on a 3,000 sqft house with a small lot. Similar in size and location to Cranston, where PT is what, like $1800 a year?)

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
    its cuz they go over budget... the the rest of the money "our tax money" go to things like painting the walls at train stabank rupttions and building a useless foot bridge to cross a damn river .
    I love how everyone brings every financial concern that the city of Calgary has to 'The Peace Bridge'.

Calgary's road budget and parks budget are two completely different things, that do not affect each other. (dramatically at least).
    Calgary needs more than well built roads to be a successful city.

Originally posted by chkolny541

i honestly tried like 10 times to read this,i know the first mystery word is supposed to be "stations" (i think) but whats "rupttions" supposed to be?
    sorry i was tired lol here goes, our money go to the things like painting the walls and posts at train stations, thats why we cant afford repairing bad roads to better ones is this better

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast