Quantcast
Memory Express Price Matching BULLSHIT - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Memory Express Price Matching BULLSHIT

Default Memory Express Price Matching BULLSHIT

So it looks like Memory Express is just like FS/BB, and trying to avoid price matches whenever they can. I go to Memory Express every week for all my computer stuff, and they're generally very nice people to deal with. But the moment I bring up that I want to PM anything, they turn fucking stone cold. It's happened twice now, but today takes the cake.

Fast forward to today, I wanted to price match the D-Link DIR-655 router with NCIX for $100. The sales guy checks it out and calls over the manager to verify. The manager checks it over too & approves it. Then he proceeds to tell me that he's doing me a favour by PM'ing NCIX, because according to him, "they don't price match sale prices, only regular priced items." Well GG WTF then. Nowhere in their policy does it state that they don't PM sale prices, or ONLY PM regular priced items. Besides, NO retailer would ever sell items at regular price below all other competitors.

If they actually don't PM sale prices, then fucking lay it out on the website. Instead, what happens is that you get the managers at each store trying to implement their own PM policy to try to fuck over customers and make them feel like they're the bad guys for giving them business.

/end rant

Their own garbage PM policy & the router in question from NCIX are linked & attached.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...9/Default.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Looks like you got the PM approved anyways, so whats the problem?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Lol maybe its just your luck lool but did you get what u went to get then?

I've given considerably less business to M.E. because of this - they're customer service has gone down the shitter ever since they started expanding and opening up new stores. I know quite a few others who feel the same way too.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I had a similar problem at Visions once.

I brought in the best buy flyer, he says no problem. Then once it is up on his screen he said the best he could do was $50 more. I said I wanted it matched like their policy. He made a big stink about it and made me wait while he checked with the manager.

Then they finally said okay and rang it in. Then I said 'your sign says you will beat the price by 5%'. To which they replied it was already too cheap and 'you are getting a good deal already'. I pointed to the price match sign right next to the cash register and told them it was their rules, not mine and stick to it. So they did and then I gave them my airmiles card and they tried insisting they couldn't give me airmiles since the price was so low. They finally did and then when I showed my visa to pay for it they asked if I was trying to bankrupt the company and get them fired because now they just lost another 4%.

At this point I got pissed and told them what I thought and told them I would be sure to never come back and give them more business.

Companies like this are pathetic. If you are going to have a PM policy then follow it and don't bitch and complain to the customer.

A business is trying to save money but ended up following their policy when pushed?

UNIMAGINABLE!

The problem is that they advertise & proudly flaunt a PM policy comparable with big box stores, then find ways to get out of it with BS excuses that don't even make sense. And yes, I did get what I want, but I didn't expect this BS from Memory Express.

My biggest beef with all of this is that I consider myself a very loyal ME customer. I go to them for ALL of my computer needs. But when there is big discount to be had and they have a PM policy, of course I'm going to take them up on it. You'd be stupid to not to.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

And you shouldn't have to force a company to follow their own clearly and publicly stated policies.

Never had a problem PM with Mem. Once I even PM an item to a price they said was under their cost. I guess it depends on who you get or what location you go to.

I don't disagree with either of you, but it's one of those situations where you need to accept that this is how the world works and the best thing you can do is play along.

If you find a store that doesn't try to avoid price matches, it means that they're still ripping you off after the price match.
    If you find a store that doesn't get pissed when you buy an at or below cost item with a credit card, it's because it's not at or below cost.
    If you find a store that doesn't do their best to avoid losing money, they will not succeed.

Ethical or not, you'll find it pretty much everywhere and complaining is not going to change it.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I've price-matched twice at Mem Ex, both times to NCIX, both times at the NW store, and both times with no hassle at all.

Probably depends on the person you get, which is just like any other store. Of course, I called ahead both times and gave the guy both model #s, the website link, etc, to make sure it was ok before I wasted my time going down.

But either way, you got your price without having to order online and wait for delivery. If you're so pissed, just order from NCIX directly next time.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by blownz
    I had a similar problem at Visions once.
    I just bought a TV at Visions on the 22nd and their price was 100 bucks more then the price at Memory Express. They beat the Mem Ex price by another 100 bucks for me. Now that same TV is 200 bucks cheaper at Memory Express, and due to their 60 day price guarantee I went in yesturday and go the price matched to the current sale price at memory express. The manager was super nice, matched the price without issue, even checked his computer to see if perhaps they have a lower price then memory express, and then told me to keep my eyes pealed for any additional price drops withing the next 50 some days and if I see lower yet I can keep getting the cheaper price. Totally awesome experience at Visions, unlike any other place I have been to before. I did buy their extended warranty as well, but unlike other stores, you get it all back in credit if you never use it, so I said wtf not, if I use it the repaire would easily be more then 400 bucks (LED LCD TV), and if I dont' I get the money back as credit in store, so it's worth it.

At memory express I ordered something one time online (1.5TB WD Green HDDs with enclosures (20 dollar value) for $85 bucks each, same price as the sale price on the drives alone) and when I came to pick it up the price was $40 bucks more (2 x $20 enclosures) then the online printout after I placed my order. Told them about it, called the manager who modified the price and off I went. Never really had problem with them, but half the people who work at Memory Express used to work at CompuSmart with me haha, so I guess that might help as well (but was not a factor in the hard drive purchase as I was dealing with someone I didn't know)

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by blownz
    They finally did and then when I showed my visa to pay for it they asked if I was trying to bankrupt the company and get them fired because now they just lost another 4%.
    I am not sure about the specifics, but companies do indeed pay a lot to be part of the Airmiles program. If you get them to price match, then use any kind of promotion (or Airmiles) on top of that, then the store really does lose.

With this said, the competition board is very clear on their requirements. The customer must not be mislead in any way, or the company can face a VERY large fine.

It happened to the Forzani Group, and it was in the millions. Unfortunately, our business practices were really no different than any other sporting goods retailer out there. However, being the biggest (by far) one, we were made an example of. Which is awesome, since it seems to have done nothing for the industry; we have to put huge disclaimer and detail notices on our ads, and other companies do nothing.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

To the OP,

You are lucky they even decided to price match it from the beginning. Reason being, NCIX has their INSTANT REBATE $25 that is only exclusive to NCIX, Futureshop/MemoryExpress/Bestbuy do pricematch, but they do not have to honor any SPECIAL DEAL/REBATE another company is doing for promo. The correct pricematch would of been for $124.99. So consider yourself lucky that you got away with it and stop complaining.

Even in Memory Express's PM policy, it says they do not price match rebates. I say you go back and give them the money you saved since you shouldn't of got it in the first place

And you could of saved yourself all the trouble and went to Bestbuy when its on sale for $99.99.

/thread
    Last edited by dj_rice; 12-31-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Personally, I think the instant rebate thing that NCIX offers is actually a way to circumvent the price matching that's becoming more and more common...retailers are pissed about the PM policy but like someone said...if they don't want to honor it...remove it!

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

MemEx has awesome prices to start with, so I really don't mind if I don't get stuff price matched, because it's still some of the cheapest hardware prices in Calgary.
    Geek

Originally posted by dj_rice
    ***Trying to make a fucking point when you don't even know what you're talking about***
    I'm driving back right now to the store mom

What you don't realize is that NCIX's "instant rebates" is their terminology for sale. Also, I wasn't gonna go line up on Boxing Day for just a router. But lucky me and the stars lined up, and NCIX is still selling it for $100, and Memory Express has a PM policy. Hmm...... put 2 + 2 together, and you get the idea.

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    MemEx has awesome prices to start with, so I really don't mind if I don't get stuff price matched, because it's still some of the cheapest hardware prices in Calgary.
    thats not the point though. if they advertise price matching, why give customers a hard time about one of their own policies? nobody forces them to offer price matching.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by blinkme_210

I'm driving back right now to the store mom

What you don't realize is that NCIX's "instant rebates" is their terminology for sale. Also, I wasn't gonna go line up on Boxing Day for just a router. But lucky me and the stars lined up, and NCIX is still selling it for $100, and Memory Express has a PM policy. Hmm...... put 2 + 2 together, and you get the idea.

You can re-word the terminology all you want. I can re-word shit into turd, crap, feces, dung etc, in the end its still SHIT. Whatever NCIX terminology is for "sale", Futureshop doesn't have to pricematch their "instant rebate".

What you don't realize is how to read company policies and try to bend them into your own world to justify you were right.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Why don't you call your Mommy OP.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast