Quantcast
WRX Limited or Base Sti - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: WRX Limited or Base Sti

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Originally posted by heavyD
    They are more for the driver that likes to have a fast street car but not for people that like to track their cars.
    Subaru Impreza WRX STI (LL2, 2008) • 3:19.0
    Subaru Impreza WRX (LL1, 2009) • 3:16.3
    Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR (LL2, 2008) • 3:13.0

LOL, yea ok. Those 3 seconds are really going to make a giant difference to people. Don't track the Subaru it's sooooo slow.

I'm sure both cars are still fun at the track. The only time you really care about lap times is in a race. A race trim STi or Evo would probably be fairly equally matched, so it's a moot point.

Just sitting in both cars, the difference in interior quality is staggering. The EVO feels like a slightly dressed up Lancer. Unbelievably cheap with way too much plastic. In comparison, the STi looks like a luxury sedan.

It is interesting/suspicious that the GE STi is slower than the WRX around a track (according to Car and Driver) ...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

LOL, yea ok. Those 3 seconds are really going to make a giant difference to people. Don't track the Subaru it's sooooo slow.

I'm sure both cars are still fun at the track. The only time you really care about lap times is in a race. A race trim STi or Evo would probably be fairly equally matched, so it's a moot point.
    Haha, you have obviously never seen the body roll that happens to an STI in a corner.

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p_2009-feature

Scroll down for the list at the bottom of the page and you will see that both cars are pretty slow when compared to cars like the MS3 or even Genesis V6 and not even close to the EVO X MR, IX MR, 135i, or Mustang GT on a track. The WRX and STI are great cars in a straight line but below average in the handling department. They are more for the driver that likes to have a fast street car but not for people that like to track their cars.
    One of the main reasons for this is that Subaru designed the STi with heavy rally roots, and the evo was designed more as a street car than a rally car. Put any of those cars listed above against an STi in a dirt or snow course and the tables turn.

Seeing how our weather is around here, STi is a safe bet.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Just sitting in both cars, the difference in interior quality is staggering. The EVO feels like a slightly dressed up Lancer. Unbelievably cheap with way too much plastic. In comparison, the STi looks like a luxury sedan.

It is interesting/suspicious that the GE STi is slower than the WRX around a track (according to Car and Driver) ...
    You obviously never track. 3 seconds is HUGE

Come on the dash on all WRX's is hard plastic with really cheezy early 2000 silver, plastic panels. At least EVO MR's have leather/vinyl on the doors compared to the vintage Dodge Neon all plastic door panels on the WRX/STI. Neither can be mentioned in the same word as luxury. The EVO Recaros are 100 x better than the mini-van bolstered seats in the STI. What I am getting at is that interiors are a moot point with these cars.

I don't hate the STI in fact I almost bought one. The EVO is just a better driver's car and the engines don't pop like Subies.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by ArjayAquino

Seeing how our weather is around here, STi is a safe bet.
    Drive and EVO and STI back to back in a spirited manner. I did in the same day. I'm exaggerating a bit but the STI feels almost like an Accord in comparison. The cushy feeling of the STI for sure makes for a better daily driver for sure but the EVO is a world class handling car while the Subaru is not even close.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by max_boost

WTF

That's a joke right?

Must be, otherwise why would anyone pay 7k more for an STI

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Cheap steering wheel, lame gauges, lame fake CF panel, waay cheaper look. I do agree about the STi seats though. I prefer my WRX seats 100x and the Evo Recaro's are quite heavenly.

I do realize that 3 seconds in a real race is a big deal. But who cares if it's just a track day. Thats more for fun than anything. You're not setting any records in your stock car...

If you're doing a time attack, where 3 seconds is an eternity, im sure you'll have some mods. With mods both cars will equalize when it comes to times. Then its about preference. Having never driven the Evo I can't really argue here.

What I was trying to say earlier is that track times shouldn't be such an indicator for people, because honestly, when are you ever going to push your car that hard (once/twice a year?). Interior quality, fun factor, sound (Boxer 4 )is waay more important for a DD because it's what you deal with 99% of the time.

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

Interior quality, fun factor, sound (Boxer 4 )is waay more important for a DD because it's what you deal with 99% of the time. [/B]
    That and the STi has a real Symmetrical AWD System, EVO does not.

from : http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4...ncer-Evolution
    The Mitsubishi does not offer a symmetrical all-wheel drive system even though it is typically favored by JDM enthusiasts. The Mitsubishi does not have a true center differential! Subaru features a longitudinal drive train with true center differential, while the Mitsubishi features a front wheel drive based center differential. The EVO is basically a front wheel drive vehicle with the rear wheel drive axle branched from the front wheel drive line. This is where Subaru has the advantage because they have a true center differential and an authentic symmetrical all-wheel drive.
    With the STi you get to play with the DCCD because of that.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Cheap steering wheel, lame gauges, lame fake CF panel, waay cheaper look. I do agree about the STi seats though. I prefer my WRX seats 100x and the Evo Recaro's are quite heavenly.

I do realize that 3 seconds in a real race is a big deal. But who cares if it's just a track day. Thats more for fun than anything. You're not setting any records in your stock car...

If you're doing a time attack, where 3 seconds is an eternity, im sure you'll have some mods. With mods both cars will equalize when it comes to times. Then its about preference. Having never driven the Evo I can't really argue here.

What I was trying to say earlier is that track times shouldn't be such an indicator for people, because honestly, when are you ever going to push your car that hard (once/twice a year?). Interior quality, fun factor, sound (Boxer 4 )is waay more important for a DD because it's what you deal with 99% of the time.
    The steering wheel on the STI is an expensive piece? If you think the STI interior is quality then you have low expectations so no use arguing this any further.

What is fun about a car with body roll? I don't want to sidetrack this thread any further because anyone that thinks the STI interior is luxury cannot be reasoned with so we can agree to disagree.

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

I don't want to sidetrack this thread any further
    Agreed.

OP get an STi but we won't hold it against you if you get a WRX hehe.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by ArjayAquino

That and the STi has a real Symmetrical AWD System, EVO does not.

from : http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4...ncer-Evolution

With the STi you get to play with the DCCD because of that.
    Symmetrical AWD is just a moniker Subaru uses. Has no bearing on superiority of the AWD system.

Yep you can use the DCCD to put 80% torque to the rear wheels and still deal with terminal understeer with the STI while the EVO X has more oversteer than most RWD cars thanks to S-AYC. The cars are the same in a straight line yet the EVO torches the STI around the track. That tells you all you need to know about the superiority of the AWD systems.

Mitsubishi's performance AWD system is widely regarded as one of the best on the planet;
    http://blogs.automotive.com/6464495/...ard/index.html Torque vectoring rules which is why the GTR uses it as well. Subaru doesn't have that and probably never will because it's expensive to implement.
    Last edited by heavyD; 01-08-2010 at 02:21 PM.

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

Symmetrical AWD is just a moniker Subaru uses. Has no bearing on superiority of the AWD system.

Yep you can use the DCCD to put 80% torque to the rear wheels and still deal with terminal understeer with the STI while the EVO X has more oversteer than most RWD cars thanks to S-AYC. The cars are the same in a straight line yet the EVO torches the STI around the track. That tells you all you need to know about the superiority of the AWD systems.

Mitsubishi's performance AWD system is widely regarded as one of the best on the planet;
    http://blogs.automotive.com/6464495/...ard/index.html Torque vectoring rules which is why the GTR uses it as well. Subaru doesn't have that and probably never will because it's expensive to implement.
    Well in that case pardon my ignorance haha.

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

Coming from a Dodge Magnum, I probably won't even notice the STi's body roll at first. lol

I love getting all the insight through people arguing / debating between competitve models, so keep it up.

I orginally went in to look at the new Legacy 2.5GT for $40,000K. So while the STi is $7k more than the WRX, (comparing base prices of each model), and only $3k difference (Limited WRX to Base Sti) I was already looking at a slightly bigger car, with the wrx's 265 motor, for the same price as the STI. It wasn't a giant leap by any stretch to consider the STi.

The Sedan only EVO killed it for me. Not enough cargo room when you have a dog and two year old kid.

The sport back ralliart, looks good, priced fair but, there are so many lancers running around here, I'm sick of looking at them.

Practicality played a huge part of what to buy. If it wasn't an issue I would have found a gently used Z06 and called it a day
    Last edited by jonnycat; 01-08-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

My Ride
    rally pig

Default Re: WRX Limited or Base Sti

When I was searching for a new car, my mind was set between a wrx and an evo x

On my search I test drove a WRX265, EVO X GSR and EVO X MR.

Unfortunately I never bothered test driving an STi but the main reason why I never bothered looking into one is because I heard as DD, the STi can be a little stiff, the 5speed is a little quicker than the 6speed (although with how I drive, I wish I went with the STi as well).
    But for the extra 4k, you are getting better brakes (brembo), wheels (bbs), suspension and more control.

Although as it is, I'm really happy with my 09 WRX265, changed exhaust, airboy tuned and rally armor mud flaps.

At this point I would recommend you test driving both and see what you think.

Regarding the EVO X, I loved the GSR, what a fun 5speed machine, wasn't really impressed with the MR ( no clutch = for me).
    I was so ready to get the EVO X GSR until I saw the trunk, it will not be able to fit a bag of golf clubs.
    Last edited by taemo; 01-08-2010 at 03:09 PM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by jonnycat
    Coming from a Dodge Magnum, I probably won't even notice the STi's body roll at first. lol

I love getting all the insight through people arguing / debating between competitve models, so keep it up.

I orginally went in to look at the new Legacy 2.5GT for $40,000K. So while the STi is $7k more than the WRX, (comparing base prices of each model), and only $3k difference (Limited WRX to Base Sti) I was already looking at a slightly bigger car, with the wrx's 265 motor, for the same price as the STI. It wasn't a giant leap by any stretch to consider the STi.

The Sedan only EVO killed it for me. Not enough cargo room when you have a dog and two year old kid.

The sport back ralliart, looks good, priced fair but, there are so many lancers running around here, I'm sick of looking at them.

Practicality played a huge part of what to buy. If it wasn't an issue I would have found a gently used Z06 and called it a day
    Personally for me it would be STI all the way. My opinion is that the STI looks much better and has a better AWD sytem, transmission, brakes, wheels, and AWD suspension setup so you aren't getting slighted paying $3k extra for the STI. It comes down to what you can afford, what you expect and maybe the fender flares of the STI don't sway you on looks like they do for me. If you by the STI you will likely never regret not getting the WRX instead. However if you get the WRX you may later regret not getting the STI.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Default Re: Re: WRX Limited or Base Sti

Originally posted by taemo

Regarding the EVO X, I loved the GSR, what a fun 5speed machine, wasn't really impressed with the MR ( no clutch = for me).
    I was so ready to get the EVO X GSR until I saw the trunk.
    it will not be able to fit a bag of gulf clubs.
    Yep it has to be noted the EVO trunk is very small. Unfortunately space was taken by the rear battery, washer fluid & S-AWY fluid reserviors, and S-AYC system so if utility is important to you the EVO is not a good choice.

My Ride

and maybe the fender flares of the STI don't sway you on looks like they do for me.
    They do Even though I've kept it pretty much quiet, they were the one thing I couldn't stand to lose if I went with a WRX. Good bye moon roof, good bye Navi, good bye DVD in dash with 7" screen... hello sculpted fenders.

[Do][---+---][oD]

My Ride

Personally for me it would be STI all the way. My opinion is that the STI looks much better and has a better AWD sytem, transmission, brakes, wheels, and AWD suspension setup so you aren't getting slighted paying $3k extra for the STI. It comes down to what you can afford,
    Payments are only going to be $304/month , Don't know if I can afford not to.

[Do][---+---][oD]

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Both interiors suck.

If you are even considering the interior when purchasing either of these cars, you don't understand them.

Originally posted by jonnycat

Payments are only going to be $304/month , Don't know if I can afford not to.
    For an STI?

How do you figure?

details

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast