Quantcast
BREAKING NEWS: Oilers blamed for partially unpaid New Year's Eve tab - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Oilers blamed for partially unpaid New Year's Eve tab

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Default BREAKING NEWS: Oilers blamed for partially unpaid New Year's Eve tab

Quoted from: CTV News Calgary

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

BREAKING NEWS: Oilers blamed for partially unpaid New Year's Eve tab

Updated: Fri Jan. 01 2010 15:09:07

CTVcalgary.ca

A Calgary restaurant owner is furious after he says the Edmonton Oilers didn't cover a huge New Year's Eve tab.

Players with the team were dining at Osteria De Medici, an upscale family-run restaurant in the northwest community of Kensington, after their game against the Calgary Flames Thursday night.

Maurizio Terrigno says the team was ringing in 2010 with a group of 45 people and ran up a bill close to 18 thousand dollars.

But when it came time to pay, Terrigno says the players refused to pay the total amount.

He says the group, which included team captain Ethan Moreau, tried to negotiate a discount on their bill and at one point refused to pay entirely.

At issue was the liquor bill which totalled over eight thousand dollars.

The players argued they should pay by the bottle for dozens of shooters purchased during the party.

But the restaurant charged them for each one individually.

At one point, Terrigno threatened to call police and eventually, the players paid about 12 thousand dollars of the total bill.

Terrigno says it is more about principle than the money. The restaurant plans to donate the amount the players eventually paid to charity.

He says he is mainly upset for his staff who didn't receive a gratuity.

Osteria De Medici frequently hosts high profile guests.

Members of the Calgary Flames are regulars and former U-S president George Bush dined there on his last visit to Calgary.

The Edmonton Oilers are already in San Jose to play the Sharks Saturday night.

Friday afternoon, the owner says someone with the team contacted the restaurant and said the tab had been negotiated and paid.

But Terrigno says he never agreed to the reduced amount.

Team officials confirm with CTV that the players and their wives and girlfriends attended an event at the restaurant.

But when the bill came back, it was too high and the players asked staff to recalculate it.

The new total was given to them and officials say the players paid and left.

(with files from CTV Edmonton's Bill Fortier)

WTF???? 18,000 for 45 people, at a nice restaurant?? That's NOTHING!
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    FA20

Losers on the ice....losers off the ice

Fuck, Ethan Moreau again, back in the Summer, about 5 of them were in Vancouver when they left a bar and Moreau was the driver and when they left their stall on the street, they backed up and knocked over the bartender's motorcycle and just drove off....whatever happened with that?

wow what dead beats, what gives them the right to negotiate a bill?

i bet they also try to negotiate when they fill up their hummers at husky
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by heinz256
    Losers on the ice....losers off the ice

$18000 should be nothing for these players, since their making millions.

Cheap basterds!!!!

in european soccer, players get chastized and fined by the league along with their teams for such PR failures, i have yet to see any of this making it in the big news agencies\\

what's also intriguing ... the owner of a team worth so many millions dows not have a team whip in place to prevent such an event ?
    Last edited by Danny Meehan; 01-01-2010 at 05:20 PM.

My Ride
    King Ranch with boots and a hat to match

Im willing to bet that since the owner of this restaurant is used to hosting "high profile guests", he is probably used to ripping them off as well. Probably thinks that because they have money to blow and are most likely drunk, they won't notice extra charges.

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

they should just be happy Patrick Kane isn't an Oiler...

Isn't the restaurant frequented all the time by Flames players? I wouldn't be surprised if the owner just wants to give it to the Oilers.

Any establishment would offer a discount with a tab that large. This guy is just being an ass.

$220/person for food... yowsa.

Originally posted by FlySi
    Im willing to bet that since the owner of this restaurant is used to hosting "high profile guests", he is probably used to ripping them off as well. Probably thinks that because they have money to blow and are most likely drunk, they won't notice extra charges.

Did you read the article ? They weren't denying the stuff they drank , they just ASSumed that since they probably drank a dozen of bottles of hard liquor for shots , they'd have to pay per bottle rather then paying for each individual shot . Its called bottle service in vegas and even one bar here in town . They must of ASSumed they'd get bottle service everywhere they go because basically , most hockey players are socially fucktards , but were REAL SURPRISED when a restaraunt owner didn't really give a fuck who they were and charged them for each shot , as per what's in the menue . BIG difference , especially if the 'party girlfriends ' have a thing for drinking and partying .
    My turn to assume ....

Last edited by kaput; 04-03-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Originally posted by BlackArcher101
    Any establishment would offer a discount with a tab that large. This guy is just being an ass.

$220/person for food... yowsa.
    this 220 adds fast at osteria

just ... check their menu

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1180472

The owner of a Calgary restaurant is trying to use the Edmonton Oilers as a publicity tool.

After last night's game in Calgary, the entire Oilers team went out for a pre-planned meal with their wives and girlfriends at the upscale, downtown eatery Osteria De Medici.

At the end of the night the players were presented with a bill for close to $19,000, a figure that struck them as being grossly inflated for what they consumed over their roughly 90 minute stay. The players, while still waiting at the restaurant, asked for the bill to be re-calculated at which point they were presented with a revised cheque for $12,381. The team paid for the bill with a credit card, and left.

The owner of the restaurant called Calgary media this morning, claiming that the players refused to pay the bill until they were threatened with a phone call to the police. Oilers officials call the story "ridiculous".
    Wouldn't be the first time I've heard things like this about Osteria.

Originally posted by Diesel2005
    $18000 should be nothing for these players, since their making millions.

Cheap basterds!!!!

Although they may possess contracts for millions of dollars , it takes a lot of money when you are in the big show . A friends' in laws do a lot of investment with hockey players . They have huge payouts each month to lawyers , doctors , physiotherapists , managers , etc . The trickle down income can be very little when all is said and done .
    Also .. a guy may be very rich and worth hundreds of millions on paper , but what their take home pay can be surprising . A lot of rich people hire media handlers just for this reason , to get published articles making them seem worth way more then what they really are .

[i]Originally posted by BlackArcher101

Wouldn't be the first time I've heard things like this about Osteria. [/B]

Although I'm not here to represent Osteria , having eaten there several times , this cost isn't outrageous by any means . Forty five people would be more then half the capacity for them , and for such a upscale eatery , that wouldn't be a bad total after all . Spending $220 a person is nothing when you have bottles of wine starting in their price range .
    More or less , these guys had no idea of what they were consuming until the bill came out , then it was everybody pointing fingers at everyone else . Tools ....

As well , I'm not a fan of their food . Their service is very good . The place is very well appointed , but bang for buck for Italian , I'd prefer Sandro's or Rea's .

Originally posted by blueToy

Although I'm not here to represent Osteria , having eaten there several times , this cost isn't outrageous by any means .
    I'm not referring to the cost of their menu. I don't need to "hear" things about that to know it's high.

My Ride
    Lease

We should all rush-in an Oilers game and not pay

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by blueToy

Although I'm not here to represent Osteria , having eaten there several times , this cost isn't outrageous by any means . Forty five people would be more then half the capacity for them , and for such a upscale eatery , that wouldn't be a bad total after all . Spending $220 a person is nothing when you have bottles of wine starting in their price range .
    More or less , these guys had no idea of what they were consuming until the bill came out , then it was everybody pointing fingers at everyone else . Tools ....
    So the bill was inflated over 7000 dollars and the Oilers are the tools?

How does that work?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast