Quantcast
Seoul South Korea - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Seoul South Korea

My Ride
    fx50

Default Seoul South Korea

i'm heading there in march for two week .
    what are the attraction?
    hotel/foods/shopping expensive???

My Ride
    03 Pathfinder

Itaewon used to be the spot - but the military base moved out of Seoul and further south. I think you'll still find some good shopping there.

The Night (Dongdaemun) markets are still pretty fun to check out.

Insadong will have some traditional Korean things to shop for.

Yongsan is the electronics market.

The Military museum has some interesting things.

There are plenty of temples and parks in the city that make for an interesting couple of hours.

I'll try and think of some more.
    I'm amused by the simplicity of this game. Bring me your finest meats and cheeses.

I was there in August 2009 (also went to Tokyo too). Weather for March should be OK, cool and pleasant. It was so damn hot and humid when I went ><

I stayed at a hostel called Hongdae guesthouse (http://hongdaeguesthouse.com/). Very nice owner/hostess Mary, Cheap ~$20 USD/nite, within walking distance to a shit loads of clubs, bars, pubs, lounges, eateries, restaurants, etc in the Hongdae area, which is known for the party young crowds that hang out there. Not to mention the abundant number of ** HOT ** korean girls. You meet a handful of tourists/foreigners when you stay at a hostel. Great way to meet potential exploring buddies.

I'd strongly recommend that you rent out a cell phone at Incheon airport so that people, especially foreigners or locals you meet, can get a hold of you wherever you are. Cost me ~$75 CAD at the end for 3 week rental. Did a shit loads of texting and some local calling.

I did most of my transportation via the subway. Get a charge card at their local 7-11 and a few other convenience store so that you can top it up to take the subway. It's cheaper than paying for per trip.

MUST SEE attraction is the DMZ tour. It will truly open your eyes of how insane the North Koreans can be. Book your tour through http://affiliates.uso.org/korea/ ... and it has to be done about min 5 days in advanced if I remember correctly. It's about an 8 hr tour. Just make sure you don't do stupid things when you're on the tour or else you'll get shot right on the spot by those crazy north korean soldiers

Seoul Tower, dongdameun, insadong, yongsan, han river, itaewon (this is usually where the korean girls hang out if they wanna meet foreigners), mmm...shit..there is a lot to do. Just go here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ies-Seoul.html

Just be aware that once you see one temple or museum, you have seen them all Unless you are an artifact and history freak.

Food...oh my...the typical korean restaurants here locally probably just have 2-5% of what you see in Seoul. And they are so frigging good...cheap too. If you haven't had one before, try their STARBUCKS GREEN TEA FRAPPUCHINO!!!!!!!! I had one or two everyday!!!! I serously don't remember seeing green tea frap being offered here in town???

When you go shopping at those flea markets and stuff, BE SURE YOU BARGAIN. Shopping IS CHEAP....

2 phrases which you probably should learn: an nyung ha se yo (hello, how r u) and kam sa ham ni da (thank you). When I was there, I had a local korean friend which I met in Paris a few months prior. She showed me around and stuff. So that kind of make things easier for me to look around seoul...and not be stuck having language barriers and culture difficulties with the locals.

Dont' feel like u did something wrong if a local walk away after u say something in english. I found out that they're afraid to speak english because either they don't know english or they can't speak english well. As I've mentioned, Itaewon is a good place to meet local korean girls that go crazy over foreigners (doesn't matter if u're asian or white).

I'd also take a trip to Busan for a few days if you have the time.

Here are some of a billion pix I took:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2309325_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._6577608_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._6811174_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...7_735444_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4669292_n.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1138167_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4421442_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4872090_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2256929_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._6221198_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2679039_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5351107_n.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...7_341477_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._8326418_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4586310_n.jpg

I would not hesitate to go back in a flash
    Last edited by Seks; 01-03-2010 at 09:56 PM.

My Ride
    fx50

thanks for the info guys.

do i need to exchange currency before i go?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

DMZ tour is a must, take the longer version where you go into the tunnels and all those other things, I don't recall anymore, but definately do the longer tour, you get to see the communication houses and actually go into them

I was there for like 1 week myself and just randomly explored different area, seoul tower ect, but DMZ is by far the best experience, catch a soccer came at the world cup statium too if you can, fans are nuts haha

By the way, IMHO, Korea doesn't even compare to Japan when it comes to girls, I was so dissapointed when I was there, didn't see that many very good looking ones, whereas they are dime a dozen in Japan.

I'm from there!
    Subway's the most typical type of transport in Korea. And if you wanna go to Busan, you might want to take the KTX. It's faster. And yes. Do bargain.
    If you go shopping at a mall and you gotta pay for parking, you can sometime get parking passes from the cashier people after buying stuff, so that either reduces parking prices, or completely makes it free.
    In Korea, it seems that bumping is just part of life, so don't be surprised if someone bumps into you and doesn't stop to say sorry or whatever.
    And I'm warning you, it can get very warm and humid, I think. So take some spring/summer clothes as well as stuff like sweaters and jackets, just in case. If I'm correct, it rains quite a bit, too.
    If I may say so myself, Korean food is great! Except for some of the stuff. I personally don't like stuff that's crazy spicy, stuff with raw stuff (so yeah, I don't like sushi either), and fish. Oh, and be careful, they have dog meat. So watch out, if you don't like dog meat. If your wondering, there are dogs that are specially raised to be eaten, so no, they aren't the same as pet dogs. If you think that's grotesque, you'd be surprised at the kinda stuff that's eaten by people all over the world.
    Many, but not all Koreans are very into celebrities, the "in" stuff, and all that, so you might see many people dressed in similar ways.
    Did I mention bargaining? Well, yes, I agree with Seks, you should bargain.
    So. Enjoy your trip!
    Lets go back to the start
    Running in circles
    Nobody said it was easy
    No one ever said it would be this
    hard
    I'll take you back to the start

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Starcraft Pro Gaming

What I found when I was there, my friends would be like get off at this station...and even though the train stops were written in english the pronounciation compared to how they are written were totally whacked out.

I did not see very many hott attractive korean girls at all. Most of my korean girl friends here are a lot better looking than the girls over there.

Eat your face out. Try everything, anywhere and everywhere (including the street)!]

BTW Seks...we do have green tea fraps here

edit: you're also gonna have to bare with people not speaking english AT ALL! ask for directions? good luck trying to find someone who speaks english. Fuck it was brutal. Even taxi drivers too!!! I actually got denied a few times from cab drivers for not being able to speak korean. Wherever you're staying, grab a business card, or have the receptionist or whomever to write it down on a piece of paper.
    Last edited by l/l/rX; 01-13-2010 at 02:16 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm definitely interested in going to Korea then shimmy on down to Japan for the summer.

My question is: When is the best time to go there? May or July? I plan to go there for 2-3 weeks (for both countries) so I want to experience as much as I can in so little time so festivals, holidays, events, etc. would be great!

Also, when is the cheapest time to go there? 'Festivals' and 'cheap' usually doesn't go together haha.

My Ride

Originally posted by flipstah
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm definitely interested in going to Korea then shimmy on down to Japan for the summer.

My question is: When is the best time to go there? May or July? I plan to go there for 2-3 weeks (for both countries) so I want to experience as much as I can in so little time so festivals, holidays, events, etc. would be great!

Also, when is the cheapest time to go there? 'Festivals' and 'cheap' usually doesn't go together haha.
    Late March - early April for Japan, only time you will see Sakura trees blooming, most beautiful time to be there, and good weather (+15-20), Korea is about the same temp wise at that time (was in Korea just before coming to Japan...by complete fluke at the exact time the sakura was blooming.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by eblend

Late March - early April for Japan, only time you will see Sakura trees blooming, most beautiful time to be there, and good weather (+15-20), Korea is about the same temp wise at that time (was in Korea just before coming to Japan...by complete fluke at the exact time the sakura was blooming.

That's beautiful!... Too bad I can't go at that time haha. Crap. My only option is July, because May just became fully booked for me (school).

Is there a 'must-see' destination for either Korea/Japan during this time or just go for whatever you want? I'm up for anything really.

My Ride

From my experience, Korea MUST SEE (as in you won't find this shit anywhere) is definately the DMZ tour, do the whole tour, like 150 bucks or so when I did it with all transportation included + a traditional Korean lunch at a restaurant close to the DMZ.

In Japan, depends on what you like, if you are going to Tokyo I would say Akihabara for sure, Ueno park is sweet, as well as the other imperial park, don't recall the name.

For overall in Japan mainland, I would say Hiroshima museum, I hate museums but this was different, loved it, Hiroshima one is better than nagasaki, but would check out both if you had the chance.

A super sweet place to visit, rent a car and go for a beautiful drive is in Okinawa, Naha all the way up to the top of the island is the most amazing drive of my life...most of the road right by the ocean, just can't be beat, and tons of beaches so you can stop at any one, go for a swim and than go to the next! Really a chill place, this is where most Japanese people go for their vacations, a tropic island so to say, only an hour or so by plane from Osaka, great things to see like Ameritown (american army base area), caves, beaches ect ect, loved it there.

If you are looking for mainland options, I did Osaka, Kobe and Kyoto in 3 days, 1 city per day, as they are all 30 min apart (10-15 min by shincansen-bullet train). Kobe I would highly recommend the Merican Park, Earthquake museum in Kobe City, and the Hokudan-cho Earthquake Museum on Awaji Island (across the bridge from Kobe) If you buy a train pass you can go everywhere, really depends on what you want to see. My first time to Japan I spend 2 weeks there and during that time I went to these places:

Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nagasaki, Hiroshima.

Second time I went to:
    Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto,Kobe,Hiroshima,Naha(okinawa),Kagoshima,Hakone area (hot springs and ryokan hotel thing...fantastic), Nara, Yokahama, Toyota (free factory tour, freaking sweet)

Third time: Kobe (rural), Takamatsu, plus a bunch of small places I don't remember, was there with my wife ryokan hopping (she is japanese).

If you have any questions let me know, been there many times and know a bunch, and what I don't know I can ask my wife (she is from Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe area)

My Ride
    Exploded.

From my experience, Korea MUST SEE (as in you won't find this shit anywhere) is definately the DMZ tour, do the whole tour, like 150 bucks or so when I did it with all transportation included + a traditional Korean lunch at a restaurant close to the DMZ.

In Japan, depends on what you like, if you are going to Tokyo I would say Akihabara for sure, Ueno park is sweet, as well as the other imperial park, don't recall the name.

For overall in Japan mainland, I would say Hiroshima museum, I hate museums but this was different, loved it, Hiroshima one is better than nagasaki, but would check out both if you had the chance.

A super sweet place to visit, rent a car and go for a beautiful drive is in Okinawa, Naha all the way up to the top of the island is the most amazing drive of my life...most of the road right by the ocean, just can't be beat, and tons of beaches so you can stop at any one, go for a swim and than go to the next! Really a chill place, this is where most Japanese people go for their vacations, a tropic island so to say, only an hour or so by plane from Osaka, great things to see like Ameritown (american army base area), caves, beaches ect ect, loved it there.

If you are looking for mainland options, I did Osaka, Kobe and Kyoto in 3 days, 1 city per day, as they are all 30 min apart (10-15 min by shincansen-bullet train). Kobe I would highly recommend the Merican Park, Earthquake museum in Kobe City, and the Hokudan-cho Earthquake Museum on Awaji Island (across the bridge from Kobe) If you buy a train pass you can go everywhere, really depends on what you want to see. My first time to Japan I spend 2 weeks there and during that time I went to these places:

Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nagasaki, Hiroshima.

Second time I went to:
    Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto,Kobe,Hiroshima,Naha(okinawa),Kagoshima,Hakone area (hot springs and ryokan hotel thing...fantastic), Nara, Yokahama, Toyota (free factory tour, freaking sweet)

Third time: Kobe (rural), Takamatsu, plus a bunch of small places I don't remember, was there with my wife ryokan hopping (she is japanese).

If you have any questions let me know, been there many times and know a bunch, and what I don't know I can ask my wife (she is from Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe area)
    For Korea, the DMZ tour is definitely on the list. I don't know what else is there other than to oggle at Korean chicks lol.

I'm going with some friends and one of them was recommended to get a JR pass and just see everything. If I'm a n00b, what should be "THE" things to see in Japan? Is Sumo wrestling even worth it to be seen in person?

My Ride

For Korea, the DMZ tour is definitely on the list. I don't know what else is there other than to oggle at Korean chicks lol.

I'm going with some friends and one of them was recommended to get a JR pass and just see everything. If I'm a n00b, what should be &quot;THE&quot; things to see in Japan? Is Sumo wrestling even worth it to be seen in person?
    Sumo matches are hard to get tixas they only go on sale a short time before the event and have to be bought locally (don't think you can get them online...couldn't in 2009), and are sold out pretty quickly, so keep that in mind, I tried in 2009 but didn't get any.

JR pass is a must, a single return trip from Kyoto to Tokyo is about the price of a JR pass (might be different now, YEN is pretty strong vs CAD). They come in 7, 14 and 21 day variety, and that's concecutive days, you decide when it starts when you pick it up in Japan (you buy a voucer here, pick up the pass in Japan in airport of JR stations).

http://www.hyperdia.com/ best site ever, enter where you want to go and which mode (select trains and any bullet train BUT nozomi) and it will tell you exact times and how to get there, with transfer points ect.

I have been to Japan 3 times and all 3 times bought a pass, best value, and compared to locals in Japan, you will be paying dirt cheap for the amount of travel you can do. My wife is Japanese, but since she is married to me and has PR in canada she can get the JR pass as well, but her mom can't, so when we went travelling in Japan with her parents in 2010, they paid a ton more to do just a single trip, totally worth it.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Sumo matches are hard to get tixas they only go on sale a short time before the event and have to be bought locally (don't think you can get them online...couldn't in 2009), and are sold out pretty quickly, so keep that in mind, I tried in 2009 but didn't get any.

JR pass is a must, a single return trip from Kyoto to Tokyo is about the price of a JR pass (might be different now, YEN is pretty strong vs CAD). They come in 7, 14 and 21 day variety, and that's concecutive days, you decide when it starts when you pick it up in Japan (you buy a voucer here, pick up the pass in Japan in airport of JR stations).

http://www.hyperdia.com/ best site ever, enter where you want to go and which mode (select trains and any bullet train BUT nozomi) and it will tell you exact times and how to get there, with transfer points ect.

I have been to Japan 3 times and all 3 times bought a pass, best value, and compared to locals in Japan, you will be paying dirt cheap for the amount of travel you can do. My wife is Japanese, but since she is married to me and has PR in canada she can get the JR pass as well, but her mom can't, so when we went travelling in Japan with her parents in 2010, they paid a ton more to do just a single trip, totally worth it.
    Well, sounds like the JR pass will be worth my money then! And I will be on the hunt for some Sumo tickets and perhaps Puroresu (Japanese WWE). I was a fan of wrestling when I was a kid and always heard that Japan has awesome 'fake' wrestling.

Staying on topic, what's there to see in Korea other than the DMZ zone. Is it cheap to get tailored stuff there (probably not HK cheap but cheaper than Canada)?

I want to get a custom suit like when the Top Gear crew went to Vietnam!

Staying on topic, what's there to see in Korea other than the DMZ zone. Is it cheap to get tailored stuff there (probably not HK cheap but cheaper than Canada)?

I want to get a custom suit like when the Top Gear crew went to Vietnam!
    I found shopping in Korea was virtually the same price as here, maybe couple bucks cheaper but not much of a difference, didnt buy too much stuff there, I waited until I got back to HK.

FYI...korean chicks are not hot, a lot of them dress like black people/ hip hop gear. The only hot ones are the ones with plastic surgery. You'll have a better time in Japan when it comes to girls.

My Ride

Originally posted by l/l/rX

FYI...korean chicks are not hot, a lot of them dress like black people/ hip hop gear. The only hot ones are the ones with plastic surgery. You'll have a better time in Japan when it comes to girls.
    Completely agree, didn't see any good looking girls in Korea at all when I was there, maybe like 1....rest of them were just average or ugly, Japan on the other hand...

Other things in Seoul, hum, walk around downtown (they have a cool lake running down the street...don't remember the name), go to the military museum, go up to Seoul tower by gondolla and then walk down, hum..the few temples there and catch a soccer game at the world cup statium, fun times. That's all I did when I was there, highlight is definately the DMZ though, shit is real.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I found shopping in Korea was virtually the same price as here, maybe couple bucks cheaper but not much of a difference, didnt buy too much stuff there, I waited until I got back to HK.

Eff that noise. Guess the DMZ is the only thing to do in Korea. One whole day should suffice then... ZIP! JAPAN!

Completely agree, didn't see any good looking girls in Korea at all when I was there, maybe like 1....rest of them were just average or ugly, Japan on the other hand...

Other things in Seoul, hum, walk around downtown (they have a cool lake running down the street...don't remember the name), go to the military museum, go up to Seoul tower by gondolla and then walk down, hum..the few temples there and catch a soccer game at the world cup statium, fun times. That's all I did when I was there, highlight is definately the DMZ though, shit is real.
    I'm so excited now! ^^ Thanks for the help, everyone! Time to satisfy my Asian fever.

Yea all my korean gf's here are hands down a lot better looking than the ones over there.

That really old historic temple dead smack in DT Seoul is neat. There's like a round-a-bout around the temple if I remember correctly, although it caught fire last year, don't know what restoration process its in.

When you're in Korea just eat a lot of street food, traditional food, korean bbq and drink lots. Pretty much every convienent store has a couple tables set up outside its shop, grab a few beers or soju and drink. Clubbing there is fun as well. Club Volume if you like house.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Yea all my korean gf's here are hands down a lot better looking than the ones over there.

That really old historic temple dead smack in DT Seoul is neat. There's like a round-a-bout around the temple if I remember correctly, although it caught fire last year, don't know what restoration process its in.

When you're in Korea just eat a lot of street food, traditional food, korean bbq and drink lots. Pretty much every convienent store has a couple tables set up outside its shop, grab a few beers or soju and drink. Clubbing there is fun as well. Club Volume if you like house.
    Man, sounds like Korea (for me) has been over-hyped; sounds like typical HK but more expensive and less prettier with the ladies.

I'm sad now.