Quantcast
Where to buy Shun Elite Kitchen Knives - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Where to buy Shun Elite Kitchen Knives

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Default Where to buy Shun Elite Kitchen Knives

Is there anyone in town who carries them? Tried Williams Sonoma and Compleat Cook without any luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

I'm pretty sure i've seen them at the knifery in chinook mall

I bought the Shun classics from Amazon and you can find the Elites there as well.

Before you buy Shun's have you checked out Knifewear in Inglewood (9th Ave, 2 or 3 doors east of Spolumbos)?

They have wicked imported Japanese knives there...I wish I hadn't bought my Shun's, otherwise I would've picked up a set from Knifewear.

My Ride

I actually bought a sweet knife off of Knifewear instead. They have some amazing stuff. Too bad they didn't have the Misono UX10 to try out.

I might still pick up a Shun Elite knife to play around with though.

The cutting edge up in North hill mall has it, I got the shun classic set they had and its been awesome, got it three years ago and its still doing great

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I just picked up a 9 piece Shun Classic set from The Knifery in Chinook.... Definitely had some Shun Elites there.

They have great sales on right now because they are moving....

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
    I actually bought a sweet knife off of Knifewear instead. They have some amazing stuff. Too bad they didn't have the Misono UX10 to try out.
    Which knife did you get? I have heard great things with the Akifusa brand.

My Ride

I ended up with an Asai that's not on their website. Looks amazing with the red handle and white handle.

They only had the western handle Akifusa, and I prefer the Japanese handle and Damascus look.

If you go there, you have to try out the Suisin INOX knives. So light, thin, and sharp.

Chinook didn't have the Elite that I wanted (30% off whatever they have though), and North Hill only carried the Classics.

Kevin at Knifewear is an entertaining and knowledgable guy. Well worth a trip down there. It's nice to be able to try out the knives before purchasing too.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 01-14-2010 at 10:55 AM.

I ended up with an Asai that's not on their website. Looks amazing with the red handle and white handle.

They only had the western handle Akifusa, and I prefer the Japanese handle and Damascus look.

If you go there, you have to try out the Suisin INOX knives. So light, thin, and sharp.

Chinook didn't have the Elite that I wanted (30% off whatever they have though), and North Hill only carried the Classics.

Kevin at Knifewear is an entertaining and knowledgable guy. Well worth a trip down there. It's nice to be able to try out the knives before purchasing too.
    I picked up a Akifusa from knifewear, a trad 8" and a 7" Santoku Tadafusa...

I like the Tadafusa because its core is Carbon "blue #2" steel w/ a stuper strong rockwell rating w/ a 15deg bevel angles yet its damascus coated w/ Stainless... best of both worlds
    Sharpness & Hardness w/o rusting

That being said, I know alot about knives, and know I can find much better prices on Tadafusa than what Kevin sells them for... but I still like the guy and am willing to spend an extra 30% for him to keep his lights on

Unlike his recommendation, I use a Ikea slitbar diamond bar to hone/sharpen, and whetsones for actual sharpening.

My Ride

Originally posted by r3ccOs

I picked up a Akifusa from knifewear, a trad 8" and a 7" Santoku Tadafusa...

I like the Tadafusa because its core is Carbon "blue #2" steel w/ a stuper strong rockwell rating w/ a 15deg bevel angles yet its damascus coated w/ Stainless... best of both worlds
    Sharpness & Hardness w/o rusting
    It came down to the Tadafusa and Asai. Tadafusa was a harder steel, but Asai was better looking and felt a little bit better. I would've been happy with either at that price point.

Originally posted by r3ccOs

That being said, I know alot about knives, and know I can find much better prices on Tadafusa than what Kevin sells them for... but I still like the guy and am willing to spend an extra 30% for him to keep his lights on
    Exactly why I decided to purchase there. The Japanese guy there was quite helpful too.

I don't need one, but I might stop by this weekend to look at a petty. Any favourites?

How is the rest of the Slitbar series? Looks like a very good price for VG10 knives.

It came down to the Tadafusa and Asai. Tadafusa was a harder steel, but Asai was better looking and felt a little bit better. I would've been happy with either at that price point.

Exactly why I decided to purchase there. The Japanese guy there was quite helpful too.

I don't need one, but I might stop by this weekend to look at a petty. Any favourites?

How is the rest of the Slitbar series? Looks like a very good price for VG10 knives.
    I can't lie... that VG10 Slitbar w/ Damascus is pretty awesome, it holds a great edge, sharpens well..
    Its a trad bolster handled design, with standard deg' of sharpening.
    I used the knife for a few weeks, then put it on a whetstone and ground'd it to about 15deg per side, and its been very very good.

Thing is, the Akifusa is lighter, easier to handle, and has a hand hammered finish which works like grantons and discourages sticking...

but @ $79.99 the Ikea Slitbar 8" VG10 chef's knife is a total bargin