Quantcast
3 CPS officers charged after altercations with drivers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 3 CPS officers charged after altercations with drivers

Default 3 CPS officers charged after altercations with drivers

3 officers charged after altercations with drivers
    Last Updated: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 | 3:36 PM

CBC News

Three Calgary police officers are facing assault charges following altercations during traffic stops, with one incident involving a driver getting stunned by a Taser.

The Edmonton Crown lawyer's office recommended laying the charges after reviewing the two unrelated incidents, Calgary police announced Wednesday.

The first happened on Dec. 14, 2008, at 2:15 a.m. when two officers in a marked police car stopped a driver in southeast Calgary.

"During the traffic stop, the officers had a physical altercation with the driver, which led to the driver lodging a formal complaint," police wrote in a release.

Two officers, each with four years of experience with the Calgary Police Service, have been charged with assault.
    Officer stunned driver

The second incident happened on April 17, 2009. An officer in an unmarked police vehicle pulled over a driver in northeast Calgary at about 2:15 p.m.

The officer and the driver had a "physical altercation" and the officer used a stun gun on the driver, police said. The driver later lodged a formal complaint.

An officer with six years of experience on the force has been charged with assault with a weapon and assault causing bodily harm, police said.

Police wouldn't release any other details and didn't name the officers charged, but did say all three have been put on administrative duties until the criminal proceedings conclude.

"Both cases involved on-duty incidents, and the allegations were laid as a result of the members' execution of their duties. Therefore, the identity of these members will not be released at this time," police said in the release.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Sounds like the police might get what they deserve.

Must be some pretty compelling evidence to charge officers of assault.

blah blah blah

you're a police hater go hide in a cave
    Last edited by broken_legs; 01-13-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Originally posted by broken_legs
    Sounds like the police got what they deserved.

Must be some pretty compelling evidence to convict officers of assault.

[/B]
    They've been charged and not convicted FYI.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by VTEXTC

They've been charged and not convicted FYI.
    My bad! Fixed.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    toyota MR2

IMO no way they get charged unless they deliberately abused their authority. which they probably didnt do

My thinking is: anyone who get tased is obviously going to complain and want to press charges against the officer. No one is going say "yeah i probably deserved that." which they probably did

coles: they wont get convicted
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Busa

Originally posted by thinmyster
    I don't think so. It's a pretty public spectacle to charge police officers. No crown prosecutor is going to throw those charges around without being damn sure of their case.

Since the Edmonton crown is involved, I would assume the charges were the result of an internal affairs investigation, but I'm just guessing.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I was going to start this thread but I figured it would turn into a F T P pretty quick.

Anyhoo, this goes to show to the naysayers that even the police are not above the law.

Also, many police officers have assault charges brought against them.

This case is not unusual except the fact that the media chose to give it some good coverage this time.

For instance, nothing was made mention on 660news home page about a high profile car thief that was apprehended downtown late last night.

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
    Since the Edmonton crown is involved, I would assume the charges were the result of an internal affairs investigation, but I'm just guessing.
    It's standard procedure for the prosecution service from another jurisdiction to handle these types of prosecution. Because the Calgary prosecution service works with CPS daily, this avoids both any perception of bias in the prosecution and to preserve the working relationship between prosecutors here and the police. It would be the same if a Calgary criminal lawyer was charged with something, or a calgary judge, etc. I'm not sure, but the judge for the trial might also have to come from Edmonton.

Originally posted by thinmyster
    IMO no way they get charged unless they deliberately abused their authority. which they probably didnt do

My thinking is: anyone who get tased is obviously going to complain and want to press charges against the officer. No one is going say "yeah i probably deserved that." which they probably did

Agreed...I'm not one to take the side of the cops but if they used stun guns it's probably because some idiot decided to pick a fight with a cop.

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Originally posted by oilerfan4lyfe

Agreed...I'm not one to take the side of the cops but if they used stun guns it's probably because some idiot decided to pick a fight with a cop.
    I agree. Sound like the idiot tried to start something so that he could make a complaint. the more the media gets into it the more you will see idiots "trying" to start shit just to gain their fame.