Quantcast
Star Trek Online Beta - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Online Beta

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Default Star Trek Online Beta

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has a spare key for this... I'm looking to give it a try.

Thanks.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Found one! Call off the search!

This game is quite impressive thus far. I believe it will do well.

My Ride
    Busa

The biggest downfall to this MMO will be that the franchise has slowed right down. Star Trek TV production has been on the longest hiatus since the original series was cancelled. The younger generation (school age) that have the time to play these games have not been exposed to the star trek franchise enough.

Combine that with the release of Star Wars The Old Republic and you have a recipe for disaster.

All the same, I will jump in early, and play casually until it gets shut down 1.5-3 years after release.

My Ride
    boosted crvtec civic

Originally posted by DeeK
    Found one! Call off the search!

This game is quite impressive thus far. I believe it will do well.

where did you find it? i wanna try this game but gave up my search pretty quickly lol

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

There are a bunch of sites giving them out, I signed up with fileplanet.com, didn't have to pay for a subscription or anything. It took a few days, but I eventually got an email from them.

I played the game for 5 minutes then the client crashed...

Been playing it since wendesday (I think) when it opened. It's fun, have made it to Lt.9. The PvP are pretty good too.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by misterrick

where did you find it? i wanna try this game but gave up my search pretty quickly lol
    i didn't want to pay for a subscription or anything so i gave up pretty easily.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    boosted crvtec civic

Originally posted by sexualbanana

i didn't want to pay for a subscription or anything so i gave up pretty easily.

yeah that seems to be all thats left. im fine with making an account somewhere, but im not paying to get a premium membership just to get a key. if i wanted to pay, i would just pay for the actual game when it came out....

Oh what this is out , sweet!
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

This game comes out on Feb 2. Hope my cpu will be able to run it. From the trailers and stuff it looks sick.

This is the first forum I've seen positive reviews on. I've got a key and downloaded the client but haven't gotten a chance to play yet. Interested to see if it's as bad as I've heard.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by misterrick

Fileplanet.com

took like 3 days, but I got a key in the e-mail.

My Ride
    '93 CYM FD3S

Hmmmm, this is the first I've heard about this game, but judging by the website it'll be brutal. And this is coming from a big Trekkie.

I'd rather start up an Eve account again, but that just takes way too much time out of my life.

My Ride
    boosted crvtec civic

Originally posted by DeeK

Fileplanet.com

took like 3 days, but I got a key in the e-mail.
    im trying that right now and it says i have to pay for a subscription.... weak ass beans

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Well, if anyone has a key or account that they have no interest in playing anymore, I would like to give the game a peek, although I'll probably stay comfortably WoW for now :P
    Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Well, I gave the game a good ol college try and....

.... I liked it o_O

Maybe it's because I've played EvE before and the space combat plays like a REALLY simplified version of EvE's interface (which is not a slur agains STO at all), but it does have a certain something that makes you want to do just one more mission, save one more colonist, explore one more sector...

There is some polish left to be done (the game disconnecting in the middle of beaming down then not letting you log back in for 10 minutes is a bit annoying, but it's an acknowledged beta bug).

Ground combat/away missions are a LITTLE grindy, ie beam down, fight klingons/romulans/gorn/nasty-alien-of-the-week to get to objective, finish mission, beam out, but I expect that once you get to the LtComm rank and get into the group stuff, that it'll get better.

As to buying the game..... errrrrrrrrr iffy on that. It would probably make a GREAT casual game, just hop online, blow up some klingons, move on... as to the hardcores, I have no idea what end game holds. I will probably eventually buy it and use the free month that comes with, but resubbing.... well, we'll have to see how that free month turns out
    Geek

Havent seen a game properly incorporate space combat to land combat, how does this game fair up?

Also does it have the "Playability" of WoW? WoW is so successful because:

a.) Any moron can pick it up and learn how to play (albeit not very well but its proven pure retards can reach level 80).

b.) The movement of your toon in conjunction with using special abilities is very fluid in WoW. I found in Aion / Warhammer you had to stop and wait half a second before you could even begin using an ability... very irritating, whereas WoW you could stop instantly and use an ability.

c.) WoW has the fanbase/lore from 3 previous RTS games and Blizzard is just a monster franchise known for releasing quality products.

I think STO can do well, it just needs to realize it cant be a grind fest, it needs "end game" or you'll get bored, controls need to be clean/crisp.

I always wondered though, what "classes" are there? How do you exactally "level up" in this game? Do my phasers go from stun (at level 5) to kill (at level 10? lol) - are there special attacks? If so, how so? etc.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Phasers kill from the very get go, but the hand phasers can stun and put your enemy into a "hold state" where they take massive extra damage.

There are 3 "Classes" of Tactical (combat bonuses), Science (sensor bonuses), Engineering (defense and power bonuses). All three are part of the "Command" superclass, meaning you can fly any "Standard" ship. Each class also gets special classes, but I forget which class gets which special.

As far as I can figure you, you don't "level up" by grinding experience or even USING experience, but by using "command points" and "skill points." There are 5 ranks (Lt, LtComm, Comm, Capt, Admiral), each of which has 10 "levels," so technically there are 50 levels to the game. You gain a "level" by spending certain amount of skill points. It sounds confusing, but it actually makes sense in that you can level up as you can go, or you can save up your points and do 3-4 levels in one giant spending spree.

Ground combat is a little... um... basic. Aim, press button, watch enemy die. There is some tactics involved as flanking an enemy gives you combat attack bonuses like higher damage and extra crit, and attacking from behind even more so. Space combat is fun, I think, because it *IS* simplified so that a retarded monkey with a special helmet could figure it out. The hard part is changing your tactics on the fly, such as managing shields, managing weapon arcs, cloaking/decloaking (aka stealthing) at appropriate ranges and on the right cooldowns. It really is simplified down from, say, EvE, and I think it's even easier to understand than wow's default UI... so that's saying something.

I'll give it a month to completely win me over, so I am reserving judgement on the finished, produced, shipped product until then
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 01-26-2010 at 06:57 PM.
    Geek

Oh Vaga, here we are again on a new MMO.

I picked this game up, waiting for it to ship.

Cant wait.
    Its not only about money. Its about freedom, friends and family too.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Just for the record, Vaga.

I made it to Commander level 1 during beta. LT. CMDR really starts to open up the game to more multiplayer style missions, and less of a single player grindfest. Once you hit Commander, there's some really cool missions. As far as end game content goes, I guess no one will really know until they get there.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast