Quantcast
Short Holiday Ideas (6-7 days) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Short Holiday Ideas (6-7 days)

Default Short Holiday Ideas (6-7 days)

The GF and I are looking to go on a short holiday somewhere in March, 6 or 7 days (all the holiday I have left before my contract runs out). Her dad works for Air Canada so the flights are basically free to wherever, so flight cost isn't an issue. Don't really want to do the standard all inclusive Mexico/Cuba thing. Any destination suggestions that meet the following criteria?

1) Relatively cheap accommodation once there

2) Not a super long flight, as the whole trip would only be 6-7 days, and a 12+ hr flight would really cut into that time. Europe might be doable if we flew through the night or something.

3) Lots of photography opportunities would be a huge bonus.

Thanks in advance!

Right now I'm looking at something similar and Belgium is my choice. I think they have a not bad flight from YYC and it's such a small country that you don't spend a lot of time going city to city. Plus BEER.

My Ride
    Busa

Mexico is always a win.

I know you said no mexico but we just booked a trip to los cabos for 6 nights 1440.00 flights inc, so it would obviously much cheaper for you.

Its a 24/7 All inclusive booze/food Resort, 2 pools, awesome beach, lots of partying (if thats your thing), and rather inexpensive for what you get.
    I heard the waves there are epic so a good place to try surfing. Couldn't see how this wouldn't be fun!

Riu Santa Fe, Los Cabos.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/9962441.jpg
    Last edited by colt22; 01-14-2010 at 06:25 PM.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Los Angeles or Miami/Florida if you haven't gone before?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Maui kicks ass. Enough to do there to keep you busy for a week, or just kick back on the beaches. So much to photograph, especially diving.

I realize it's no where special these days, as it's Canadians #1 tourist spot, but really, it's a great place.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I'll be checking them all out. I'm not sure how the cheap flight thing works with all inclusives but I don't think its as good of a deal. Looking to spend as little as possible.

Belgium is a good idea, except that I would come back morbidly obese from the chocloate and in need of a liver transplant from the beer that is like $10/bottle here that they probably have on tap there haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-14-2010 at 08:16 PM.

As of now its looking like Florida is the place to go, any suggestions on things to do there?

I was thinking the Zoos (for pictures), Universal Studios, Disney Animal Kingdom (pictures), Disney World, aligator farm, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Aquitica/Adventure island, Big Cat Reserve, shopping etc. Should be able to stay for cheap and fly for next to nothing so we can spend our money on admissions to all the parks and such. The dollar is near par as well.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-15-2010 at 02:50 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Have you considered any places in Middle America, like Nicaragua?

Europe would be hard to stay only a week. Personally, once I was there I'd want to explore and a week just wouldn't cut it. Plus consider travel time and time changes. I was thinking about doing London over our spring break but after sleeping on it, just doesn't seem worthwhile.

But it sounds like you're into Florida, unfortunately I've never been nor really have a desire to go.

Let us know what you decide!
    Ultracrepidarian

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

New York/East coast trip? catch a show, sporting event, tours etc

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Palm springs and hang out in the desert? I did that last winter and had a good time. got in a couple of hikes, drove to Anaheim for a ducks game and a day at Disneyland.
    Plus, The Palm springs airport is probably the lowest stress airpirt I've ever seen. Very small and nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I've been to Florida a half dozen times since 2003 and I prefer the Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Florida Keys areas over other hot spots like Orlando & Tampa.

Orlando is very family oriented. Lots of children, parents & grandparents around those parts taking in all of the family oriented attractions like Disney World & Sea World. If that is what you are looking for, Orlando is the place to be.

I find the Miami area caters more to adults, especially South Beach. The Keys are an amazing drive and there's lots to check out in Key West... rent a convertible and make the trip from Miami... it's a 4 hour run each way, but definately one of the coolest drives you'll ever do!

So... Florida caters to all tastes. Oh, and hey, if you want to be in with all the trashy Nascar folks you can find, get yourself up to Jacksonville, Tallahassee & Pensacola...

Thanks for the input guys.

Based on where most of the attractions are, Tampa Bay looks like the place to be in Florida (Biggest Zoos, Busch Gardens, etc.). I think it's only 1.5 hr or so from Orlando as well (Disney World, Sea World). Also it seems we may have a hook-up on a condo there to stay for next to nothing which helps. Never been to Florida, seems like it would be good, but I don't really know what to expect. I think either Tampa or Orlando would be good, nothing seems too far away.

I agree a week would be far too short for anywhere in europe, the only reason it was considered is because the flights cost almost nothing, and expensive flights are usually part of the justification for staying a long time (not to mention there is far too much to see).

Not really into sports at all, so east coast/new york doesn't appeal to me as much - I wouldn't mind somewhere warm either .

Busch Gardens is probably the best park for rides, they have quite a few pretty crazy rollercoasters. You can also get a lot closer to the animals than at Animal Kingdom

I'd recommend going to Epcot center and seeing their night time fireworks show, its pretty impressive. Epcot was my favorite of the disney parks. The disney parks aren't great for rides but have some pretty good shows. Hollywood studios has a pretty cool stunt driving show you should check out if you go there. You can buy your disney tickets from ticket reseller places and save a few bucks usually.

Universal Studios and Seaworld weren't too great imo. Islands of Adventure is pretty good. Thunder Falls Terrace is a good place to eat at Island of Adventure, $15 - $20 range for a quarter chicken dinner and ribs platter.

You will probably want to spend a day to see the ocean. From Tampa you can drive out to Clearwater which is very nice. You can go out on boat tours, cruises, or just chill on the beach and explore the pier. Gators is a fun pub type place out that direction that has good Crab, Prime Rib, etc.

http://www.gatorscafe.com/

From Orlando you can go to Daytona beach which is nice also. You can drive on the beach there. There are lots of bikers and people there which makes for good people watching. You can go to Daytona International Speedway if you want.

There are buffet type places such as Golden Corral, Ponderosa, Sizzler all over if your looking for a cheap, quick meal. I think they have breakfast for like $2.99 or something crazy cheap. Orlando and Tampa are pretty reasonable for prices generally.

Don't rent a car from Payless Rental Car, there cars are crap and don't have decent tires, brakes, etc.
    Last edited by Mixalot27; 01-15-2010 at 07:30 PM.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

You could also look into 6-7 day cruises. Typically they make a few stop overs so you're not stuck at just one locale. If you shop around, you can sometimes find them as low as $400/ person + air. If you can find a cruise for around that price, you'd be getting good deal considering cruises are pretty much all inclusive.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Huatulco, i know you said no to mexico but you mind will change if you go here.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Good info and suggestions - thanks. I will be checking them all out.