Summer Student Positions - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Summer Student Positions

Sent you a msg calgarys_finest.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Default Re: Summer Student Positions

Originally posted by Blownturbo
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any companies hiring for summer positions. Specifically in the IT field. I've tried looking and with the slow down of the economy I've had a hard time finding any compared to last year.

This might be a good thread to dump any finds for other students looking for a summer position too.

So far I've found that Nexen has an application page for 2010 summer student positions but doesn't specifically state what they are.

I doubt Nexen will hire you, the same goes for most big ONG companies. When hiring summer students to work in offices down town most companies practice nepotism.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

^^Very true. But not all survive for very long if they're useless.

Originally posted by chkolny541
    ^^ there wont be. Companies hire now for summer positions, if no positions exist now, there wont be positions for this summer
    A lot of O&G companies typically hire mid September/October for the upcoming summer. This year has been a little different as quite a few companies were waiting to evaluate budget and were holding out for a hopeful increase in gas prices.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    assploded

Originally posted by msommers
    A lot of O&G companies typically hire mid September/October for the upcoming summer. This year has been a little different as quite a few companies were waiting to evaluate budget and were holding out for a hopeful increase in gas prices.
    this is true, I currently hold a casual position from my summer job and they stopped the summer student program due to budgeting. A lot of it is up in the air and I'm hoping this is the case for other large companies.

There's a health and science career fair today at the u for those who are interested.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Check out Pembina Pipelines.

www.pembina.com

Go to: Careers

They are hiring various summer student positions.

My Ride
    assploded

My Ride
    POS Toyota

If you can, get a job at Nexen.

You don't do shit the entire summer, and take in ~$700/wk.

Decent gpa + convince them you're interested in working for them post grad = lax summer and 10K+ in your pocket.

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

I worked a summer student position in IT my second year, but only a few people were available 1st year - it's been quite a few years since then, so don't expect great things.

If the U of C career website is still pretty empty (not surprising), you might want to cold call to the smaller engineering/oil/IT companies around and see if they'd take you on.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by jefferson2
    If you can, get a job at Nexen.

You don't do shit the entire summer, and take in ~$700/wk.

Decent gpa + convince them you're interested in working for them post grad = lax summer and 10K+ in your pocket.
    I gotta be honest man, that would suck. Sure doing fuck all or very little and getting paid sounds great, but the whole day would just drag, and drag, and drag. Not only that, but you get sweet fuck all out of your experience there. Great, resume material! You get hired after you graduate because of it, but look like a tool because you don't actually know what the hell you're doing. Out the door you go.

That being said, I've heard that Nexen is quite a good company to work for because of how they treat their employees.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    POS Toyota

Well, from what I heard, there's several floors of students, nearly all of whom are University aged, who do basic entry level work, often as a team, so I use the phrase "don't do shit" lightly. You obviously have work to do, but probably not the same level of a more stressful sales job or something similar.

You're networking, you're getting a feel for big business, and you're in downtown calgary.

I've never worked there, but I'd say that relates to post-grad work much more than roofing, which is what I've been doing.

You're getting a feel for the business world, and for many kids who have done nothing but read textbooks, it's a way to get a taste for life after university, and see if it's really for them.

I don't think that a student who interns as a data clerk will have the same job post-grad with a B.Eng, B.Comm, or B.Sc attached to their name.

The idea behind it is to get your foot in the door, get a reference if you don't want to work for them, or put yourself above the rest if you've already worked for them and are applying for a more serious job.

Are there any other postings out there that you guys would recommend?

My Ride
    ST205

Originally posted by gqmw
    Are there any other postings out there that you guys would recommend?
    What exactly are you studying?

Bell West is always hiring for data entry. Pretty sure its still Joyce Wakefield running the show there. Theyre in the Petro can building, crappy work environment with crappy management but they pay decent $14/hr
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

EnCana has just posted a bunch of summer student positions however there are no IT related postings.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

i dont see any student positions on encanas website

Originally posted by Critical

What exactly are you studying?
    I'm a second year business student, majoring in accounting.

Originally posted by copynpaste
    Bell West is always hiring for data entry. Pretty sure its still Joyce Wakefield running the show there. Theyre in the Petro can building, crappy work environment with crappy management but they pay decent $14/hr
    I wouldn't mind that, is it just something to do for the summer. Is it full year or just summer?

I couldn't find any on the Encana website? I searched under Alberta-->Calgary, summer student?

Husky Energy has a few summer student positions available, you guys can go take a look at that.

I'm a first year student at the UofC with economics as a major, unfortunately some of the companies I researched on only accept students in Engineering, or Finance as a major. Does anyone know what type of summer positions out there are available for Econ majors? I know chances of a first year student getting a summer position over a 2nd or 3rd year is slim, so any basic data entry jobs are appreciated as well!

I would just like to see if I could potentially get an early start with relevant work experience for the future years to come. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast