Quantcast
Best Sushi place in Calgary + surrounding area - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Best Sushi place in Calgary + surrounding area

Default Best Sushi place in Calgary + surrounding area

Alright, so I used to be quite indifferent towards Sushi. I would eat it if my friends wanted to go out for it, but it was never something I had a craving for. When I was north of Calgary on a few appointments with a contractor we were driving back and he asked if I liked sushi, I shrugged and said I could take it or leave it - so he told me to give this place in airdrie a chance.

The place we went too was Sushi Haru on their main street. (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/72/14452...i-Haru-Airdrie) We ordered smoked salmon sushi, spicey salmon rolls, tempura (omg i love tempura, always have haha) and calamari rolls.

Honestly this was like a turning point in my life. I loved the Spicey Salmon rolls and the calamari rolls. Again I was a bit indifferent on the smoked salmon, so it seems that I prefer raw fish stuffed inside the rolls

Yesterday my buddy recommended we grab some quick japanese food from Banzai down near southland, i ordered the spicey salmon rolls and a bento box and sadly the salmon rolls weren't even quite as good as the ones from Airdrie... obviously though, since Banzai is more of a fastfood orientated place.

Now I'm looking for something that is delicious and local. If I have to, i'll drive out to airdrie with some friends to get the sushi that I love, but I'd like to find something closer to the south end of calgary. Any recommendations guys
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Try the search function of beyond.ca, I would use it for you but I am on my blackberry. There is a giant thread all about sushi.

My Ride
    This and that.

Thanks for the review man. Gf's gonna be ecstatic to hear this cause I recently got her into sushi and she lives in Airdrie. lol She's gonna want to go all the time.

But yea do a wee search there's a massive thread talking about good places of sushi in Calgary.

try El's Japanese Fusion in Marda loop.

Towa's down by 17th ave is pretty good, Globefish on 14th street is also not bad

I went to sushi kai inside dragon city like chinatown area.
    small place but good

Service 8.5 Great 2 waiters/waitresses

Sushi 7.0 Above Average, They had some good squid appetizers & the curry lunches were also good. i always get the tuna sushi there

Ambiance 8.0 Alot of japanese decorations but i usually focus on food and service. The washroom is actually really clean/ well maintained a big + for me.

The second best i've been to so far was Chopsticks next to marlborough mall . Memorial drive and 36th
    another small place

Service 7 Only 1 waiter/waitress, which was the sushi chef took a while to get my table.

sushi 7.5 They had some really interesting sushi mix/flavors that really gave it some flavor.

ambiance 7.0 crappy washrooms but the Only thing that made me kinda feel disgusted was since there is only 1 person working there. The Chef/Waiter/cashier is touching so much shit like phone/menu/money well you get what i mean and he didn't wash his hands but he does touch his hands with this wet towel maybe that's his way of cleaning up. It wasn't just that 1 time , out of the 5-10 times i've been there it's always been like that

anyways I would still go chopsticks, good place but they should really get a waiter/waitress lol

My Ride
    2014 Mustang GT DIB track pkg 2010 GMC Terrain SLT

I love sushi and live in Airdrie too. I would love some more reviews on this place before I spend money there. Back when it was a japanese restaurant, they sold sushi there too and I thought it was nasty. I think the reason being is that they cleaned the case where they store the fish and rice and I swear I could taste the cleaning product flavour on it.

I go to Chopsticks on Memorial just past 36th Street or else Maruji just over the Centre Street bridge besides the Starbucks.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by KRyn
    Try the search function of beyond.ca, I would use it for you but I am on my blackberry. There is a giant thread all about sushi.
    This.

There are SO many sushi (and pho) threads here it's not even funny.

PS> Zipang.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by clem24

This.

There are SO many sushi (and pho) threads here it's not even funny.

PS> Zipang.
    Last time I went to zipang I wasn't so impressed.

My Ride
    A250

I've only been to Zipang on valentines and the 7 course dinner they set out was delicious
    With sushi places in Calgary, everywhere you go will be an experience. Different places have better rolls/sashimi/tempura than another place.
    It all depends on what you like imo. I like the sashimi from towa but I much prefer the sushi rolls at globefish over towa. But then again this is all personal preference.

My Ride
    T4R & B8.5 S4

Went to El's last night on 33rd... again... Service as usual was on OK, but the Hot Night Maki was delicious!!

+1 for El's. Another really good place is the place right beside bubblemania, on 16th ave, I forgot the name of it at the moment. The smoked salmon with alfalfa sprouts SOOO GOOOOOD!!! they have many other delicious rolls there.
    Sushi club k'z in kensington is also really good!

Globefish IMO is over priced for mediocre sushi. There are plenty of other places that are a bit cheaper but way better quality sushi! Zipang I thought was again just mediocre.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by gqmw

Last time I went to zipang I wasn't so impressed.
    What did you eat? If you're looking for fancy rolls or hand cones, look elsewhere. This restaurant is more traditional and authentic, basically stuff that you'd actually find in Japan. If you want a true sushi experience (nigiri, sashimi), then Zipang cannot be beat. Their broiled fish is also perfectly done as well as many of their other cooked food items.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Best fucking spicy salmon ever!

I think next time I hit Zipang I'm going to order some of the other stuff instead of sushi all the time, but really have no idea what to get.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by msommers
    Best fucking spicy salmon ever!

I think next time I hit Zipang I'm going to order some of the other stuff instead of sushi all the time, but really have no idea what to get.
    Agedashi tofu, saikoro steak no sanshofumi, broiled mackerel, broiled hamachi jaw (though I don't think they have this anymore), rice set with special appetizer, ryoushi no donburi (essentially a special chirashi sushi).

My Ride
    2013 FR-S

Originally posted by l/l/rX
    +1 for El's. Another really good place is the place right beside bubblemania, on 16th ave, I forgot the name of it at the moment.
    I think that's Shibuya...
    I like it there as well, they have the best Beef Tataki I've tried in Calgary thus far...

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Quiet10

I think that's Shibuya...
    I like it there as well, they have the best Beef Tataki I've tried in Calgary thus far...
    Beef Tataki is decent when it isn't freezing cold. It does have potential for sure. Yellowtail is OK, and everything else sucks.

Wa's is decent, but more on the pricey side. I'd still stick with El's as #1 for overall. I haven't even been to Towa for so long; I just crave their Tempura Ice Cream. I eat at Banzai often for lunch in the Southland location and I enjoy it. I never eat their sushi though, just their rice bowls. Cheap, good, and actual Japanese people work there.

Off topic: But damn, after Vancouver.. AYCE Sushi there is fucking awesome. Tojo's was alright, and Miko on Robsons was a great casual place that didn't kill your wallet.

Zen 8, 414 3rd St SW, Calgary Place(slightly overpriced). Best place I've had Sushi so far in Calgary, Chopstix next to Marlborough Mall(the hood) comes in a close second, but I haven't been their for a year or so, I heard their slippin. Theirs a really good place on 17th Ave right next to Tubby Dog im really fond of, forgot the name its a small place, been their about three times, thats all becuase I love Zen 8. Been back and forth from Vancouver alot, cant really even compare our best places to Vancouvers.
    Last edited by brownchild; 01-19-2010 at 02:36 AM.
    "Men fear what they dont understand, hate what they cant conquer ..

... Guess its just the fury of man".

Somebody gotta tell you this//Cancer kills way more Americans than any Arabic terrorist//We use more money to fight them then findin a cure//So a little kid sits there with his kemotherapist//Hair fallin out while his vital signs weaken//He'll be dead while his parents are in debt for his treatment// - Crooked I