Quantcast
What car to buy to flip... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What car to buy to flip...

My Ride
    Corvette

If you were to buy a car from a dealership, do you have to pay the state tax?

My Ride
    96' Eagle Talon Tsi Awd

evo 8-9

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Aleks
    Something more mainstream. EVOs and STIs are cool but have very limited appeal to general buying public here.
    Yes bring in another Civic or Mazda 3 because we obviously don't have enough of those running around town hahahaha JK Aleks

My Ride
    12' Civic, 88' Prelude, 02' F350

Originally posted by BigShow
    If you were to buy a car from a dealership, do you have to pay the state tax?
    No you do not, IF you are from canada. You pay canadian tax on the vehicle when you ge to the boarder. Just a word of caution, some dealerships are CROOKS down there and try to disprove you. It depends which dealership you go to. I went down to california honda to buy an 09 accord coupe and they told me that i needed a bill of lading saying that it had to be transported to the boarder via flatbed and they told me it could not touch california soil, if i didnt want to pay california sales tax. I was like WTF i am not american or from california state so i didnt have to....but they dont know how to understand down there. Ironically i went to the mercedes-benz dealership next door and they said i could drive it right off the lot. All i needed to do was to sign a one way permit (which they provided) and I had to give them proper supporting documentation that it was going to Canada. I called Honda America that day to complain and see what was up with the situation i had at honda that day, their response was: you cannot bring a car from the US to Canada, they are two different markets........... LOL! Some people are fuggin STUPID . Either way you do NOT have to pay california or any state sales tax on any vehicle going out of country...Otherwise you would end up paying it twice, defeating the purpose of bringing a car over from the US.
    Last edited by spacerz; 01-19-2010 at 01:23 PM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Unless you have things set up in a business manner (turn-key operation) and lots of disposable cash flipping cars isn't really that profitable when you consider the customs, hassles, taxes, inspections, used car issues, and the fact that Canadians expect to pay less for USDM vehicles. Dollar for dollar doesn't take into consideration the time involved for a person doing a care here and there.

If you want to do it you may be more successful bringing in cars that weren't available or widely available in Canada as you will get better margins. Bring in an STI for example and you have to compete with other USDM STI's on the market as well as Canadian STI's. With a car such as an EVO 8/9 or Pontiac G8 there's no Canadian competition.
    Last edited by heavyD; 01-19-2010 at 01:32 PM.

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

Originally posted by Stealth13
    evo 8-9
    Err.....not too many are selling up here right now (ask me how i know)....

I'd try an 04 R32......

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by 94boosted

Yes bring in another Civic or Mazda 3 because we obviously don't have enough of those running around town hahahaha JK Aleks
    Yeah but he'd probably have 10 females lining up to buy the Mazda 3 in Calgary if it was priced well.

Easy sell, compared to EVO8s where he'd be getting interest mostly from young guys who'd buy the car only if their '91 civic with 250k on it sells...
    Last edited by Aleks; 01-19-2010 at 01:53 PM.

My Ride
    FG4

GTO?

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by heavyD
    Pontiac G8 there's no Canadian competition.
    '

The G8 was sold in Canada. I think were only around 100 left sitting on lots across the US right now. I don't know how well they sold up here in Canada.

Nice car though
    Last edited by dino_martini; 01-19-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Originally posted by ercchry
    2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo 4 $39,000USD

similar calgary 996 $63,000CAD
    Huge price difference, yeah. but no demand. Not many people in Calgary are buying 50K+ sports car. In this economy everyone's being so safe with their money now a days. You would probably be sitting on a car like that for a couple months..
    IMO I would grab a RV. Even if you have to lower the price, the profit margin on them right now is ridiculous . But same thing I was saying with the Porsche, not alot of people want to buy a close to 100k motorhome. If your willing to wait maybe a couple months, then there ya go, it may be worth your while. Only things to add on for costs of going this way would be getting your class 1, using more gas, and a little bit higher costs at the border. Heres an example
    http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=47722 <-us
    http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ167699166 <-canada

same miles, and you're getting a hell of a lot more with the 2002. I know this is out of your price range, but theres alot more diesel pushers for good prices in the 50k+ range as well..

My Ride
    fast and red.

I considered an RV, but I did that a few years ago and lost money. I was looking at asking prices, and it looked like I was buying well, but it was very tough to sell. Plus expensive to drive back, fuel wise, and not fun. Though I did get to know a number of Walmart parking lots on the way...

A G8 GXP sells up here for about $50,000 (Davis Pontiac in Lethbridge has imported quite a few) so they may not be a bad pickup. A new GTO would definitely sell up here.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by dino_martini
    '

The G8 was sold in Canada. I think were only around 100 left sitting on lots across the US right now. I don't know how well they sold up here in Canada.

Nice car though
    Sorry I meant GTO or whatever it is.

My Ride
    2017 Tacoma street queen

GTO's dont sell so quick in the winter though! haha

My Ride
    1982 Chevette

Take a look at http://www.racingjunk.com/ and craigslist. You never know what you might find.

And you have a huge amount to look at in your "price range".

if it was me, i'd bring up a clean, solid example of this:

very rare in these parts, yet still highly desirable among the right crowd. i've been wanting one of these for about 17 years now, but just don't have the time or space for this kinda thing at this point in my life
    Last edited by nonlinear; 01-19-2010 at 06:50 PM.

How does the warranty work on new cars?

Are the warranties transferable?

I brought a s2k from an used dealership before. It had 6 months wrranty and control arms had to be replaced to pass the out of province inspection. Of course a dealer didn't give a shit since he knows that there isn't much for me to do.

My Ride
    Various

Used Miata - they go for silly prices here yet so cheap in US.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Z4, or an SL500. WICKED deals to be had for sure if you know where to look.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Aleks

Yeah but he'd probably have 10 females lining up to buy the Mazda 3 in Calgary if it was priced well.

Easy sell, compared to EVO8s where he'd be getting interest mostly from young guys who'd buy the car only if their '91 civic with 250k on it sells...
    haha agreed Civic with an intake and a Cherry Bomb that make 300hp you know those are worth $10K

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast