Quantcast
Pizza Delivery - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Pizza Delivery

My Ride
    Bicycle

And you are in accounting...? I thought accounting is a numbers game, guess not.
    So even if you don't get any tips on top of the bills, you have to tip out anyways? Ain't that some shit hah sucks for you then. Did you get paid your wage at the end of each day or something? How would you make less than your wage or do they keep tabs and say "X didn't get any tips this day therefore didn't tip out to kitchen staff - take tip out amount from (wage) pay"? I'm just trying to get a clear picture here.

Originally posted by calepeters
    I used to be a server, (gets QUITE hectic at times, i went to school for accounting and it was easier then serving)
    haha well whatever I cant do math, oh well my bad, same principal though, I was actually thinking about bar (bar tip out is 5% for alcohol) my bad,

ps math doesnt make you better tips

Why would anyone work where the managment is stealing money from their employee's?

If you pay tip % based on your Cash Out, instead of Cash Out - Cost aka Just your Tips, you can definatly affect your hourly wage.

Cashout $100 in a night, $80 is cost, so $20 of tips. You should pay the kitchen 5% of $20, and the bar 5% of $20.

Its too bad looking things like that up in the labour laws is a pita.
    Err, Just did it:
    http://www.alis.gov.ab.ca/pdf/cshop/...ystandards.pdf

I would check out #1 lots of other good tips in there also, so many people get screwed because they either dont know the laws, or are unwilling to stand up for themselves. Probally the best thing to do i call alberta employement or whatever, and ask them directly.
    Last edited by Alterac; 01-23-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-05-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What still boggles me is why we're so picky and choosy about who we tip. The logic of it doesn't make any fucking sense.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    I used to tip 10-15% plus the delivery charge but now I just tip 1-2 bucks plus the delivery charge which works out to around 4-5 bucks total. My orders are never over 30 dollars anyways so the delivery guy is still getting a decent tip.

I ordered pizza last night and it came to 28.xx with the delivery charge. I handed the guy 29 and then turned around to see where my gf was at because she was going to find more change and the dude said "whatever" and stormed away like he didn't realize I was going to get more. I wish I would've exact changed the fat fucker

What did the guy expect?....should I have rolled out the red carpet, hired harp players to line up along the sidewalk, and given him my months paycheque for his 20 minutes of unskilled labor and lacking social skills?
    If you said "hold on" I would understand but just turning around, or the fact that you already handed him $29 I'm not surprised the guy assumed you were done. People don't usually pay, then get more money then come back.

My Ride
    Hondas

Originally posted by szw

If you said "hold on" I would understand but just turning around, or the fact that you already handed him $29 I'm not surprised the guy assumed you were done. People don't usually pay, then get more money then come back.
    Given that they always tell you your total on the phone beforehand I can see why he thought you were done.

A couple quick words or even a hand gesture goes a long way.

Last edited by know1edge; 06-24-2013 at 09:43 PM.

no its not illeagal, lets break this down for you

some restaurants, (mine for one), are extrememly slow on weekdays and you dont have set hours, you come in at 5 and you leave when they dont need you (very standard) its called being "cut" i HAVE had shifts where i work one hour a day, now if in that hour i have 3 tables, and all the bills were 30$ each, and each table leaves sayy 10% (3$) i make 9$ tip out to kitchen is 2% of total cash out so i cashed out 90$ so i have to tip out 4.50$ so i make 4.5$ in tips, now lets say one table doesnt tip, so now i make 6$ on 90$ cash out, i owe kitchen 4.50$ still but now i only make 1.50$ in tips but 8.80 so i really only make just over 10$ in that one day,

Yes ok fine some of you may argue 10$ an hour is fine, the problem is servers DONT CONTROL THEIR HOURS, some weeks i have 40 hours, some i only have 20-25 so now if i make 10$ an hour and work 20 hours a week *due to no fault of my own* i make 200$ before tax?! how am I supposed to pay my bills and tuition with that? and no getting a second job would not help, because I cannot control my hours, i will not know how many hours a day I will get until my day is over

so as for long city, lets SAY i only managed to get one table in an hour cause it is that slow, and even if i give good service, and their bill is 50$, if they dont tip i STILL owe the kitchen 2.50$ regardless, so when this happens, i make 8.80 an hour, less 2.50 i really am making 6.30$ an hour, understand? now this doesnt always happen (is rare) but it does still happen
    Unless things have changed they required to pay you for minimum 3 hours if you are called in to work even if they send you home after 1 hour. I guess due to this I have NEVER seen a server lose money on tip out. In my experience most servers will leave with between $60-80 in tips AFTER tip out and the kitchen will leave with like $15. This is for an average 6 hour shift in a small family style restaurant. It was not unusual either for servers to top $100-$120 on the busier shifts. What about the flip situation. Have you ever been left say a $10 tip on a $30 meal. Sure its rare but probably similar rarity to your situation. Guess what now you get $9.40 of that and the kitchen gets $.60. Also, you are calculating tips only. You still get an hourly wage.

If you are doing 40 hour weeks plus school you are one busy person. Not sure about your place but for loyal and good servers I always set there time to what they want every week. Of course the more senior servers got priority on what shifts they wanted and everyone except the newer servers always got very similar number of hours every week.

1.yes i agree, i did a good job (no longer serving) and yes I would make decent money
    2. Do not say that, i know rule of thumb is is 10% of income in tips, i however, and other servers i know claim quite a bit more, so do NOT call me a liar
    3. and again I did not say it is always like that I said it happens and it sucks when it does, I dont even know how this got so off track, all my MAIN argument was was the fact that people are saying servers do not deserve a tip, yes I work for my tips, NO i dont like auto gratuity (we did not do it in my restaurant), i merely stated the fact its there to protect the servers.

and I still dont understand the whole controversy about tipping anyway, I eat out every now and then and does it REALLY kill anybody to leave an extra dollar or two? maybe the server is just having an off day, i always tip well (maybe its because I was a server) but i know how much a good tip was able to brighten my day up. I can honestly say sometimes YES i may not have provided service good enough to get a great tip and I acknowledge that, but at the same time it really puts a damper on your day when you try your best and still get ripped off
    1. So you made decent money but you are complaining about the 1-2 times your situation may have come up?
    2. Umm did you claim 100% more? Most servers I know make minimum wage or close to so $8/hour or whatever it is now but average $10-15/hour in tips.
    3. I don't think anyone said that servers don't deserve a tip but it should be up to the client not some restaurant policy. If restaurants wanted to make sure that servers were protected on the amount they make they should just pay them more. It may be said that auto gratuity is to protect servers but I think more often then not it reduces the amount of service you get because servers know its added no matter what. Especially when its being set at 18% which is higher than what most people here tip for excellent service.

Yup, servers tend to tip better than most.

There you go again saying that you get ripped off by not getting a tip. Like you are entitled to a tip from everyone no matter what. There is no rip off here as long as they paid the bill. You just didn't get the bonus cash most people give. Just thank your lucky stars you work in a society where tipping is the generally excepted norm. Talk to ppl from Australia or Japan where there is no tipping whatsoever.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Originally posted by SilverGS

Unless things have changed they required to pay you for minimum 3 hours if you are called in to work even if they send you home after 1 hour. I guess due to this I have NEVER seen a server lose money on tip out. In my experience most servers will leave with between $60-80 in tips AFTER tip out and the kitchen will leave with like $15. This is for an average 6 hour shift in a small family style restaurant. It was not unusual either for servers to top $100-$120 on the busier shifts. What about the flip situation. Have you ever been left say a $10 tip on a $30 meal. Sure its rare but probably similar rarity to your situation. Guess what now you get $9.40 of that and the kitchen gets $.60. Also, you are calculating tips only. You still get an hourly wage.

If you are doing 40 hour weeks plus school you are one busy person. Not sure about your place but for loyal and good servers I always set there time to what they want every week. Of course the more senior servers got priority on what shifts they wanted and everyone except the newer servers always got very similar number of hours every week.

1. So you made decent money but you are complaining about the 1-2 times your situation may have come up?
    2. Umm did you claim 100% more? Most servers I know make minimum wage or close to so $8/hour or whatever it is now but average $10-15/hour in tips.
    3. I don't think anyone said that servers don't deserve a tip but it should be up to the client not some restaurant policy. If restaurants wanted to make sure that servers were protected on the amount they make they should just pay them more. It may be said that auto gratuity is to protect servers but I think more often then not it reduces the amount of service you get because servers know its added no matter what. Especially when its being set at 18% which is higher than what most people here tip for excellent service.

Yup, servers tend to tip better than most.

There you go again saying that you get ripped off by not getting a tip. Like you are entitled to a tip from everyone no matter what. There is no rip off here as long as they paid the bill. You just didn't get the bonus cash most people give. Just thank your lucky stars you work in a society where tipping is the generally excepted norm. Talk to ppl from Australia or Japan where there is no tipping whatsoever.
    Yea, i asked some friends about tipping in japan, and its pretty much non existent there. Pretty much rude to do it, unless it is a very westernized establishment. But the thing to think about tho; that they said that every place they went to in Japan had exceptional service, high class or even low class places. Yet they don't get tips for what they are doing. Then there are the servers here who believe that they deserve tips here for service that still fails in comparison to Japanese servers. Maybe im just used to not getting tips, growing up in small town Saskatchewan, working for the family restaurant, i barely saw a dollar a week lol, but i still worked my ass off, otherwise i'd get my ass beat ahahaha
    During highschool too i pumped gas at coop, wtf so why don't people tip gas jockeys, i fucking clean ur windows check your oil and tires. I'd say i did a pretty good job, better than alot of the servers that i had that did a shit ass job yet still have the dignity to give me lip or a dirty look, because i gave them less than their believed 10% tip that they think they deserve, bullshit i tell you

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by Weapon_R

2. How much of those tips do you claim on your taxes? (Hint, the answer is zero. Any other answer is a lie).
    I claimed tips last year, not a lie. So i guess your wrong in that statement??

Originally posted by ryder_23
    I claimed tips last year, not a lie. So i guess your wrong in that statement??
    Wow... 1 honest server out of millions...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4