Quantcast
Hyundai dealer auctions Genesis coupe - doesn't honour deal. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai dealer auctions Genesis coupe - doesn't honour deal.

My Ride
    EP3

Default Hyundai dealer auctions Genesis coupe - doesn't honour deal.

File this one under the dangers of mixing traditional Brick & Mortar business practices with the immediacy and transparency of the internet. Glenn Hyundai of Lexington, Kentucky placed a slightly used Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T on eBay Motors. There was no reserve, and a gencoupe.com forum member named McFly made a bid of $16,125 and won the auction (here's a PDF of the auction in case the eBay link goes dead).

Not a bad price, especially as the Gen Coupe in question had less than 5,000 miles on it and costs over $22,000 when new. McFly then secures financing from his bank to pay for the Coupe, makes the necessary travel arrangements to go pick up his car (he doesn't live in Kentucky) and calls the dealer to put down a deposit with his credit card. This is when things begin to go bad. We'll let McFly take it from here:

I talk to the front desk secretary, ask her how to make my deposit for an Internet Sales deal I have, and she immediately transfers me to Eric Manley. I talk to Eric briefly and he laughs at me over the phone, "Sorry buddy but you're not getting it for that price, he says." I tell him it's a deal that I have worked out with the Internet Sales guy, and I'm ready to make the deposit. He laughs at me again, and says, "sorry buddy, not for that price." It's obvious that this guy knows nothing about it, but it's odd that he won't let me make my deposit. He's clearly either confused or not the right guy.

Youch - and you know there's a Hyundai Assurance joke in there somewhere. No one wants to be laughed at, especially when you won the car in question fairly and in a legal manner on an eBay auction. McFly doesn't give up, and eventually finds out that the owner's name is Cy Dicken. He gets in touch with a guy named Tad, who called McFly supposedly to take his credit card info. It turns out that Tad is the person who placed the Genesis Coupe on eBay in the first place. More from McFly:

Tad tells me that he's the one that made the deal (listed the ebay auction), and there is no way I'm getting it for that price, and that he doesn't care about the Legal Binding Contract that they have (the ebay auction), I'm not getting the deal.

We argue back and forth for a while. He offers a Christmas card, and then a Turkey [sic] for compensation, while I tell him that I have a "Legal Binding Contract" from them and that I'm not going away until I get my car or some compensation for this headache that they've put me through." He then says, that "Sorry, car has already been sold, so you can't have it it's gone."

...He says "we're going around in circles, you're not getting the car that I don't have here to sell you, and definitely not for that price. You've had a few people hang up on you already, why continue this. Didn't I tell you I was the owner." All lies of course, as I tell him "No you told me that you were Tad, not Cy Dicken, and everyone has been real nice so far, no ones hung up on me."

Ooof... It goes on and on like this – long story short, McFly didn't get the car at that price. We saw a similar case a while back when a Nebraska BMW dealer refused to honor an auction for a $60,000 M3. Due to pressure, they eventually caved in and agreed to let the car go for the price they sold it for. Still, you got to wonder if the few thousand dollars both of these dealers feel they deserve is worth the headaches and bad press.

We contacted Glenn Hyundai to get their side of the story, but were passed around before ultimately being hung up on. We then contacted Hyundai USA, who told us, "We expect our dealers to contract in good faith with customers. We do not know the details of this transaction. But we hope the dealer and customer in question can come to a mutually beneficial agreement." We'll keep you posted if McFly's situation changes.

[Source: gencoupe.com] (via autoblog)
    If this were to happen in Canada, how could you ensure the dealer would stay bound to the contract (as per eBay motors)?

good post, that blows.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Default Re: Hyundai dealer auctions Genesis coupe - doesn't honour deal.

Originally posted by Sykes

If this were to happen in Canada, how could you ensure the dealer would stay bound to the contract (as per eBay motors)?
    Post it on Beyond until they have no choice but to honour it, or lose tons of business?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

A lot of those car deals on ebay are classic bait and switches. Tons of sketchy dealers in the US and unfortunately the purchasing customer gets screwed over because it's not worth the money and time to pursue it legally. I've heard other excuses like "we forgot to set the reserve" etc. Customer really has no choice but to forget about it and move on.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Default Re: Re: Hyundai dealer auctions Genesis coupe - doesn't honour deal.

Originally posted by Kloubek

Post it on Beyond until they have no choice but to honour it, or lose tons of business?

Or until the facebook of the Dealerships Owner/salesman/mechanic's daughter is posted.
    ftfy
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

...forum member named McFly

Reading this thread reminds me of the Suzuki thread where they wouldn't give some kid his $500 deposit back. How did that end anyways?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Whoever posted on Ebay without reserves should pay for the difference or fired.

My Ride
    FG4

its a contract. they have to honor it. if he took it far enough he would come out the winner. if it were me i would just out of principle.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

A deal is a deal, ffs.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

subscribed

Interested to see how this turns out. Likely not gonna end well, unless Mcfly and the Hyundai forum are very persistant.

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

This happened before with a BMW M3.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/03/23/bm...-ebay-auction/

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm pretty sure he'd win if he sues. I say, GO FOR IT!

Genesis Coupe are sweet cars.

I called them and a hot sounding girl answered the phone saying glen auto mall and i got scared and hung up

My Ride
    Lease

Ebay should take some responsiblity, apply fees or ban to the actual business in question; not just the Ebay account for them to open another one within the next hour. (and this sentence is said only in relationship to sellers who do switch and bait, or purposely list "too good to be true" auctions and not honoring them)

My Ride
    TDi

That sucks! Time to make this an EPIC thread via beyond.ca? LOL
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

philosoraptor

I read a couple pages of the thread over on that Hyundai forum. I hope people keep posting and posting it until it takes over the Google results for the dealership. You know if he had accidentally bought it for $3500 more, instead of less, they'd lawyer up.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

Thats bullshit, just reading the story reminds me of The owner of Fish Creek Nissan, guy named KEN something. Just a slime-ball, I saw him pull stuff like this on a few occasions with people, used that exact line with "buddy" used like 9 times in a sentence.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The Banerjee is strong with this stealership:

http://jalopnik.com/5453217/kentucky...doesnt-shut-up

he's been contacted by Glenn Hyundai and told to remove all mention of his buying experience from "the internet" or face legal action.
    EDIT: well that's quick....

Agreement reached, thread is wiped by OP

Wonder if he can say what the settlement is.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-20-2010 at 08:29 PM.

My Ride

Damn this sucks, that's probably why I never even looked at buying a vehicle over Ebay, but doesn't ebay have some time of buyer protection?, and can they go after the dealer for breach of contract, or those the buyer have to do all of the leg work?.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast