Quantcast
Starting salary for engineer at a major oil company? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting salary for engineer at a major oil company?

Default Starting salary for engineer at a major oil company?

Going to be graduating with a Petroleum Engineering degree and was wondering what kind of working conditions and starting salary to expect at one of the majors? (i.e. Shell, Imperial Oil, BP, CNRL, Suncor, etc.) I do have co-op work experience, if that amounts to any increase in salary. And just a few more questions...

1) Is there a large salary gap between companies or is it pretty uniform?
    2) Is there any salary gap based on GPA?
    3) Has anyone worked at these companies and can give me their opinion of that specific company?

Most companies seem pretty cookie cutter and same across the board, but I can't be too sure...

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Your first mistake was pigeonholeing yourself by being a PetE

Job market is tight right now. I'd say you'd be good to see the equivalent of $27/hour for plant work if you did well in school and have relevent co-op experience. Less if you were a C student and your co-ops had no relation.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

Engineer in Training

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I would encourage you to check out the Salary Survey, will answer your questions.

http://www.apegga.org/Members/Public...arysurvey.html
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by BlackArcher101
    Engineer in Training
    Member in Training.

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by 97'Scort

Job market is tight right now. I'd say you'd be good to see the equivalent of $27/hour for plant work if you did well in school and have relevent co-op experience. Less if you were a C student and your co-ops had no relation.
    Are you talking 27 her hour as a PetE Technologist, or Pet E?

OP, the range of salaries is quite wide with varying stock options, bonuses, etc. (but 27 is lower than anyone I know in the same field). However, if you are graduating this year I wouldn't be too picky (you likely wont get a chance to be picky anyways)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I got my O&G degree six years ago. That's a great degree.
    Salary, days off, bonuses and stock options very hugely from company to company. Your first priority should be to get some decent experience, then in five to ten years, you'll be pulling the big coin.
    I'm guessing new grads right now get 50 to 60k per year. I've heard of some places paying more.
    Most companies will give options, which can work out to a very significant portion of your compensation if the stock market goes your way. But those are typically locked in for several years.

So, your first question should be: what company will give the best experience and training?

Good luck out there, it's a tough job market right now from what I've seen. Grind it out, we'll be back in the boom times in a few short years.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    06 TL

Default Re: Starting salary for engineer at a major oil company?

Originally posted by charmin
    Going to be graduating with a Petroleum Engineering degree and was wondering what kind of working conditions and starting salary to expect at one of the majors? (i.e. Shell, Imperial Oil, BP, CNRL, Suncor, etc.) I do have co-op work experience, if that amounts to any increase in salary. And just a few more questions...

1) Is there a large salary gap between companies or is it pretty uniform?
    2) Is there any salary gap based on GPA?
    3) Has anyone worked at these companies and can give me their opinion of that specific company?

Most companies seem pretty cookie cutter and same across the board, but I can't be too sure...
    While I don't know the answers to any of your other questions I do know starting wage for Imperial is a little over $70k/yr.

Based on people I've talked to in our class who have jobs, the 70K range is sorta what to expect, but that's based on a small sample size so I could be way out to lunch here.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

$70k/yr sounds about right for base pay for a new eng. But like others have said, you want to look at bonus structure and options and shares as those combined can almost equal your base pay in a good year.

$69 281 was the average last time APEGGA released theirs in May 09. I suspect things have come down a little since then.

I wouldn't say grades have much to do with it other than if you get the job. Experience is the only typical factor, and I wouldn't say it's a big one. As long as you fall in the same class.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by Smartiepants
    $69 281 was the average last time APEGGA released theirs in May 09. I suspect things have come down a little since then.
    If I'm reading it correctly, $69,281 is the average for an EIT, which you are for 3-4 years after Uni, not right out of it. I'd say $55K-60K is more reasonable from my experience (I graduated 2.5 years ago Chem Engg).

Some companies pay better. Imperial I know had higher starting wage, but they did not give a bonus or stock options. Having compared with my buddies, Apache paid the best. Encana was decent too.

GPA: Nobody cares... If you get the interview, they're already fine with your GPA. I never even had someone ask me about it in an interview.

My Ride
    06 civic ex coupe

Originally posted by Feruk

If I'm reading it correctly, $69,281 is the average for an EIT, which you are for 3-4 years after Uni, not right out of it. I'd say $55K-60K is more reasonable from my experience (I graduated 2.5 years ago Chem Engg).

Actually, 3-4 years after grad would make you a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) and not an EIT.

I think 65-70K is what you should expect with as a new engineer. Smaller companies may pay you a bit better, but their benefits/bonuses may not be as extensive as larger companies. Also, if you return to the company that you did your internship/co-op with you will probably get a little bit higher too.

^^^

I'd put it a little more to the 65k end of things now being as so many people out there are desperate for jobs. Also look at the bonus packages etc. Vacation is something to look at too, flex days, blah blah.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I got my O&G degree six years ago. That's a great degree.
    Salary, days off, bonuses and stock options very hugely from company to company. Your first priority should be to get some decent experience, then in five to ten years, you'll be pulling the big coin.
    I'm guessing new grads right now get 50 to 60k per year. I've heard of some places paying more.
    I'm working on that degree at the moment.

I'm in that salary range on my internship at an oil & gas producer, from what I understand, intern salaries are typically 80% of new grad salaries. $70k sounds about right from people I've talked to that have new grad jobs.
    Last edited by badatusrnames; 01-21-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Holy shit, $70k for new grads is now the norm??! That was considered above average when I graduated in 06... most people landed in the mid-60s. Although, it's gotta be a lot harder finding a job these days. I would've thought starting salaries would drift downwards, given how many people are unemployed.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I would be more concerned about job security than starting wages. Unfortunately young engineers are the ones being let go.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I would be more concerned about job security than starting wages. Unfortunately young engineers are the ones being let go.
    No Shit.

I'd be more concerned with getting the job and keeping it. Get yourself some experience then in a few years, you'll be in a position of value to the company and be worth more money.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Holy shit, $70k for new grads is now the norm??! That was considered above average when I graduated in 06... most people landed in the mid-60s. Although, it's gotta be a lot harder finding a job these days. I would've thought starting salaries would drift downwards, given how many people are unemployed.
    Didn't see this post.

70k for a new grad is slightly higher than what I thought it was. I figured it would have been near 60-65k

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by Jlude

I'd be more concerned with getting the job and keeping it.
    This right here. I'd be happy to get anything at a good company at this point. Trust me, you're competing against guys with 1-3 years experience. It would be a mistake to act like you're the shit and have unrealistic expectations. The good companies will pay you fairly. I'd be amazed if you make $70K out of the door, but oil companies have always paid more than what i've had experience with with (EPC and Energy Infrastructure) .
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

the average for new grads is $64,000 right now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast