Quantcast
So I get pulled over again.... - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: So I get pulled over again....

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by R!zz0
    I don't think you got pulled over. I think you just want to tell People on beyond that you drive a Mazda RX8 so People on here would consider you rich.
    what? you can get a used RX8 for peanuts.

The OP just might match the description of someone they are looking for. It used to happen to my brother quite a bit.His description and type of vehicle matched the description of someone wanted by the police. He was pulled over constantly for a month...something like 12 times.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by JustGo
    POLICE HARASSMENT . . .

Recently, RCMP Kings Det in Nova Scotia, ran an e-mail forum (a question and answer exchange) with the topic being, "Community Policing."

One of the civilian email participants posed the following question, "I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it."

From the "other side" (the law enforcement side) Cst Horsnell replied:

"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In the Annapolis Valley we average one cop for every 600 people. Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol&quot where we do most of our harassing.

The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents. And at any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty. So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 5,000 residents. When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.

Now, your average ten-hour shift runs 36,000 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring. What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.

The tools available to us are as follows:

PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. "My neighbour is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment.

Another popular one is, "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses and the like. Its lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours.

STATUTES: When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc... They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.

After you read the statute, you can just drive around for awhile until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them. Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy. It is a really cool system that we have set up, and it works pretty well.

We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people.

Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave."

That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can't harass me."

*It's one of our favorites.*
    smart-ass copper

My Ride
    CBR 929

Have been pulled over before for no reason. About two blocks from home, cop pulls up behind us at some lights, light goes green, he puts his lights on.

Asked what the problem was and he said that when he ran our plate there was no drivers license associated with it? Pretty sure that was made up if I ever heard one. Especially since we owned the car for years, both have been driving for years, everything was up to date on the car and in order.

Shines his flashlight all around the car, asks if this was our car (to which my husband answered "I sure hope it is my car" and the cop yells at him "IS THIS OR IS THIS NOT YOUR CAR??", anyhow he let us go. It was a bullshit pull over, but with the amount of cars being stolen and drunks out there I don't mind as long as it only happens once in a blue moon.

[url]

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Under the motor vehicle act of Alberta, the police have the legal authority to pull over any motorist and ask for proof of drivers license and insurance.

Normally, they are not allowed to search your vehicle - unless for eg. they are going to have it towed.

Most of the time the intent is to catch people driving drunk, not wearing seatbelts, "harass" bad people (eg known drug dealers) etc.

The fact that the OP gets pulled over constantly is probably just coincidence. If youre out late at night then the odds of being pulled over in certain neighbourhoods for random checks is quite high.

My Ride
    08 K24Z3, 07 YZF-R6

I love the CPS, my friend and I were driving back from bubbleeta at 2AM down Centre street. He has white G35 with 35% all around tint and I have a silver Accord with 35% tint all around. CPS rides my buddy and then pulls him over for a tinting ticket lol...I drive away happy
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by max_boost

Are they allowed to search or you let them? Cause Jay-Z says they can't haha
    They're not allowed to search you nor your possessions unless you are first placed under arrest or they have reasonable suspicion that they'll find something greater. And I highly doubt any judge is going to sign a search warrant at midnight for a traffic stop.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    NC1

I'm starting to get irritated by some of these tickets handed out by CPS. In the past month my mom and a couple friends have been nailed for (fail to signal) and speeding 61 in a 50 zone. I don't man. They should be handing out tickets for stupid shit, not for minor stuff like that.

Anyway, I've been pulled over a few times for no reason at all, that's what you get when you are young and drive a nicer modded car. It comes with the territory but never ticketed. It's always happened later in the evening after 1am and in the NE! haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by broken_legs

Love the analogy of kicking a chair, that makes so much sense

If a cop pulls you over for no reason and tries to do an illegal search you have every right to refuse. Your analogy is actually backwards, when a cop does the illegal search he's kicking your chair.

Standing up for your rights = Making cops job harder

I see now.... Thats Logic I can get behind lol

Cops are there to PROTECT YOU and the rule of law not break the law and infringe on your rights.
    Either you misread it or I didn't get my point across properly, we're actually agreeing on the same thing though. I didn't mean you shouldn't exercise your rights for the search, feel free. I was just referring to hoping to be pulled over and asked things just to say no for no other reason but to be a douchebag. Ya, you have the right to withhold valid identification without a lawyer present as well but do you really want to?
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

meh... my story could be worse...

drove a lil rice integra, altima coupe, then a rx8 and not once have i been pulled over or given a radar pull over...

2 days ago i got pulled over by those radar guys and i happen to be driving a rental doge avenger cause my car was in the shop total bs slow ass mofo car too
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by Mys73ri0

OP never got an illegal search... the other poster said he agreed to let the cops search his car so not sure where you're getting your info from.
    I'm not talking about the OP I'm commenting on this little exchange (for context)

Originally posted by Meback

I think I would enjoy being pulled over for no reason. It increases the opportunity for an unjustified search. I would refuse the search (sec 8- Charter of Rights and Freedom) and will in turn be harassed by the po-po. I would likely receive a couple of knuckle sandwiches, some blows with a phone book, and a few jolts of electricity. This will definitely spice up the lawsuit and will be a great story to tell my new neighbors and the salesman at the Benz dealership.

Remember folks, when in contact with police, pull out your cell phone and start a audio recording.
    ^^^Mar quoted the above and replied:

Originally posted by Mar

You're an idiot, do you really think cops harass people on such a frequent level that you need to record every conversation? You're not in Compton, this is Calgary. So what you're saying is you'd like to purposely make a cop's job hell just to piss him off? Really? What would you do if a cop pulled you over and messed with you just to make your day hell? Ya, I bet you wouldn't like that too much. And what if I came to where you work and kept messing with your job? Kept kicking your chair or turning your computer off? Or taking your hammer and throwing it down the street.....or whatever the hell you do for work? I bet you wouldn't like that too much.
    To which I commented:

broken_legs says:
    Love the analogy of kicking a chair, that makes so much sense

If a cop pulls you over for no reason and tries to do an illegal search you have every right to refuse. Your analogy is actually backwards, when a cop does the illegal search he's kicking your chair.

Standing up for your rights = Making cops job harder

I see now.... Thats Logic I can get behind lol

Cops are there to PROTECT YOU and the rule of law not break the law and infringe on your rights.
    Make sense now?

sevewone says:
    Ive met people like you, and most of them all had a bad experience with cops. I find it funny as well that people that have had a problem with cops always tend to prance around DEMANDING their rights get taken into consideration. Im pretty sure in their years of training the cops have to go through, they are taught to respect people rights. Im not saying all cops are angels out there, but 90% of them are just doing their job.

^^^ this is too easy... Uhhh what about that other 10% that you are talking about? What are they doing?

I don't think that 10% of cops are out to get me, but I do see a trend in our society to treat everyone as though they are guilty first. If that treatment infringes on my rights then you're damn right I'm going to stick up for myself.

I demand that my rights are respected. If I don't I'm giving them up. Why is that such a hard concept?

If the police pull you over because you "look like a criminal" and they do an illegal search they are fishing. That's illegal. You have rights that protect you from that sort of stuff. Why do people automatically jump to the "you're a cop hater" argument when they see someone who wants to stand up for their rights?? Aren't Cops supposed to protect you and your rights? Isn't that the whole point of having laws and cops in the first place?

How does giving up your rights to the police make any sense? If you don't have those rights then wtf is the point of having laws and cops in the first place?

And no, i've never had any "bad encounters" with police.

I'm still waiting for the OP to answer us about what the police were saying when he gets pulled over. I think that will be interesting to hear.

edit:
    Originally posted by Mar
    Either you misread it or I didn't get my point across properly, we're actually agreeing on the same thing though. I didn't mean you shouldn't exercise your rights for the search, feel free. I was just referring to hoping to be pulled over and asked things just to say no for no other reason but to be a douchebag. Ya, you have the right to withhold valid identification without a lawyer present as well but do you really want to?
    OK you are forgived now.
    Last edited by broken_legs; 01-21-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by max_boost
    I'm starting to get irritated by some of these tickets handed out by CPS. In the past month my mom and a couple friends have been nailed for (fail to signal) and speeding 61 in a 50 zone. I don't man. They should be handing out tickets for stupid shit, not for minor stuff like that.
    I've met you a few times and I like you (and your woman) so this isn't at all meant to argue with you but I think those things are pretty valid. If someone in front of me hits the brakes and starts slowing down without warning, I think:
    1. Is there a deer on the road?
    2. Is someone trying to cross? I better not pass if there is.
    3. Are they having a heart attack or something?
    4. Is there a cop somewhere?
    All kinds of things are going through my mind, I don't know if I should pass, if there's wildlife, then all of a sudden they turn and I get irritated because if they had just signaled, I could have gone around them.

And 61 in a 50 is 22% above the speed limit, that's a lot. If I was going down Deerfoot doing 122, I can be pretty sure I'd get pulled over. Or if you were doing 37 in a 30 zone you'd probably get pulled too.

Not to argue with you but I mean that's their job and if they're not giving tickets for that then what are they doing out there?

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by Mar
    They're not allowed to search you nor your possessions unless you are first placed under arrest or they have reasonable suspicion that they'll find something greater. And I highly doubt any judge is going to sign a search warrant at midnight for a traffic stop.
    "we'll see how smart you are when the K9's come"

Originally posted by Mar

And 61 in a 50 is 22% above the speed limit, that's a lot.
    Seriously?

My Ride
    NOYB.

Can't say I've ever been pulled over for "no reason" or, what you guys call no reason, which is actually that you think the legitimate charge is BS.

61 in a 50 is 11 over for those of you without Math 10. Is that a legitimate charge? Yes. Is it reasonable? Maybe. There are places in town where a 50 zone is completely ridiculous, like 4 lane wide Memorial Drive, which in most other places would be at least 70 or 80. Going down a residential street? Hell yes it's reasonable.

Calling "failure to signal" a BS ticket is hilarious. I hope you get more and more of these BS tickets until you learn to use that thing sticking out from the left side of your steering column (or right side depending on how mad tyte your car is, I guess).

Being pulled over for driving a certain type of car is called profiling, and it's legal, and as a citizen I want the cops doing this kind of profiling. Last week, they were looking for a black 1999 GMC Denali as a pointer vehicle in a homicide. How many black SUVs do you suppose CPS and surrounding RCMP either pulled over or ran on their computers in the intervening time? A metric shitload, I'm sure. And if someone in a white pickup truck commits a crime, I would consider it bad policing if they didn't at least take a look at my white 1997 F150 if I'm in the area.

Every time I've ever been stopped by police it's because I've been guilty of a traffic offense, or happened across something like a checkstop. Every time I've deserved what I got. If there are so many cops pulling all these people over "for no reason", some time in the past two decades-plus of driving, I'd have encountered one.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Originally posted by bignerd
    Have been pulled over before for no reason. About two blocks from home, cop pulls up behind us at some lights, light goes green, he puts his lights on.

Asked what the problem was and he said that when he ran our plate there was no drivers license associated with it? Pretty sure that was made up if I ever heard one. Especially since we owned the car for years, both have been driving for years, everything was up to date on the car and in order.

Shines his flashlight all around the car, asks if this was our car (to which my husband answered "I sure hope it is my car" and the cop yells at him "IS THIS OR IS THIS NOT YOUR CAR??", anyhow he let us go. It was a bullshit pull over, but with the amount of cars being stolen and drunks out there I don't mind as long as it only happens once in a blue moon.
    If the car is registered jointly, ie. to both of you, a license will not show up on file. And only one name will show on the screen. Maybe he didn't see it was a joint registration... that's the only reason I can think of.
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by Jay911
    Can't say I've ever been pulled over for "no reason" or, what you guys call no reason, which is actually that you think the legitimate charge is BS.

61 in a 50 is 11 over for those of you without Math 10. Is that a legitimate charge? Yes. Is it reasonable? Maybe. There are places in town where a 50 zone is completely ridiculous, like 4 lane wide Memorial Drive, which in most other places would be at least 70 or 80. Going down a residential street? Hell yes it's reasonable.

Calling "failure to signal" a BS ticket is hilarious. I hope you get more and more of these BS tickets until you learn to use that thing sticking out from the left side of your steering column (or right side depending on how mad tyte your car is, I guess).

Being pulled over for driving a certain type of car is called profiling, and it's legal, and as a citizen I want the cops doing this kind of profiling. Last week, they were looking for a black 1999 GMC Denali as a pointer vehicle in a homicide. How many black SUVs do you suppose CPS and surrounding RCMP either pulled over or ran on their computers in the intervening time? A metric shitload, I'm sure. And if someone in a white pickup truck commits a crime, I would consider it bad policing if they didn't at least take a look at my white 1997 F150 if I'm in the area.

Every time I've ever been stopped by police it's because I've been guilty of a traffic offense, or happened across something like a checkstop. Every time I've deserved what I got. If there are so many cops pulling all these people over "for no reason", some time in the past two decades-plus of driving, I'd have encountered one.
    i really hope you knew elementary subtraction before Math 10.

My Ride
    NOYB.

Originally posted by CMW403

i really hope you knew elementary subtraction before Math 10.
    :lol: True enough. Math 10 is grade 9 here isn't it? I got equivalency for my Ontario high school diploma when I arrived here so I never really understood the different numbering systems. And yeah, you should know that long before (like 9 or 10 years before, if not more), but with some people here I wonder. It was just a chance to make a smart-ass comment anyway.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by Jay911

:lol: True enough. Math 10 is grade 9 here isn't it? I got equivalency for my Ontario high school diploma when I arrived here so I never really understood the different numbering systems. And yeah, you should know that long before (like 9 or 10 years before, if not more), but with some people here I wonder. It was just a chance to make a smart-ass comment anyway.
    yeah i know i was just pullin your leg. basic subtraction should be covered in grade 2 at the latest haha

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by CMW403

yeah i know i was just pullin your leg. basic subtraction should be covered in grade 2 at the latest haha
    You wouldn't think so, with the math skills of some people around here

Case in point:
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/290100/an...is-lady-fraud/

I got pulled over once for no reason. I was at an intersection, full stop with signals on on my bike waiting for traffic to clear. RCMP is coming down the hill and then on go the lights and and he stops beside me. Asks for papers, I give them to him and ask why he stopped me. He goes "No reason, it's just a nice bike." We BS a few minutes and then he goes on his merry way. Must be nice to have all the time in the world!
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast