Quantcast
Toyota suspending sales - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota suspending sales

Default Toyota supsending sales

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-82724272.html

TORRANCE, Calif., Jan. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it is instructing Toyota dealers to temporarily suspend sales of eight models involved in the recall for sticking accelerator pedal, announced on January 21, 2010.
    \\"Helping ensure the safety of our customers and restoring confidence in Toyota are very important to our company,\\" said Group Vice President and Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter. \\"This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized. We're making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible.\\"
    Toyota announced it would recall approximately 2.3 million vehicles to correct sticking accelerator pedals on specific Toyota Division models. Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats. There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

Toyota's accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales is confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:
    2009-2010 RAV4,
    2009-2010 Corolla,
    2009-2010 Matrix,
    2005-2010 Avalon,

Certain 2007-2010 Camry,
    2010 Highlander,
    2007-2010 Tundra,
    2008-2010 Sequoia

No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, which will remain for sale.
    Due to the sales suspension, Toyota is expected to stop producing vehicles on the following production lines for the week of February 1 to assess and coordinate activities. The North America vehicle production facilities affected are:
    Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada (Corolla, Matrix, and RAV4)
    Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana (Sequoia and Highlander)
    Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky – Line 1 (Camry and Avalon)
    Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. (Camry)
    Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (Tundra)

No other North American Toyota vehicle production facilities are affected by the decision to stop production.
    The sticking accelerator pedal recall is separate from the on-going recall of Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect or out of place accessory floor mats. Approximately 1.7 million Toyota Division vehicles are subject to both separate recall actions.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Wow, serious and bold move.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Supsending?
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Wow that's nuts.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Oh my god a typo! I wonder how you will ever figure out what this thread is about now!

...One that I can't edit, so mod'er up...

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by Zhariak
    Supsending?
    I'm sure by switching the p and s, the whole thread now makes sense to you.

But nice of you to only comment on the spelling mistake in the title...

My Ride
    NC1

That's crazy! but better take care of it now.

I had my own mat sticking to the pedal experience a couple weeks ago. Washed my driver floor mats, just threw it in the car without making sure it was aligned, started it up, unknowingly did a semi- burn out/high rev out of the Centex car wash bay on Center Street. It fucking stunk up the place and I was really caught off guard. Now I can't even imagine it at over 100kms/h racing down the highway. Hell the people behind me were thinking, WTF is wrong with this kid?!?!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by Jlude

I'm sure by switching the p and s, the whole thread now makes sense to you.

But nice of you to only comment on the spelling mistake in the title...
    Come on, lots of loser regulars do it and don't get hassled

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Originally posted by max_boost

I had my own mat sticking to the pedal experience a couple weeks ago. Washed my driver floor mats, just threw it in the car without making sure it was aligned, started it up, unknowingly did a semi- burn out/high rev out of the Centex car wash bay on Center Street. It fucking stunk up the place and I was really caught off guard. Now I can't even imagine it at over 100kms/h racing down the highway. Hell the people behind me were thinking, WTF is wrong with this kid?!?!
    The mat one is a different recall.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by max_boost

LOL I remember in a previous thread some posters saying that it's no big deal and that the drivers that got into accidents were retards which is totally untrue. It's very dangerous and even the best drivers can be caught off guard.

My Ride
    06 STi

this is crazy! i just heard about this on the news! They're also shutting down 2 plants as well. just Nuts!
    GONE

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    VTEC did not kick in....yo.

Calgary Herald story

Edmonton Sun story

What does this mean for people who are currently driving these vehicles? Yeah, Toyota's going to expedite the accelerator pedal repairs for customers as quickly as possible, but in the mean time do these people keep driving their Toyota's and just hope that something doesn't happen to them?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I thought this was all about some ill-fitting floor mats? Is there actually a mechanical problem with these vehicles?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Is there actually a mechanical problem with these vehicles?
    Yes the gas pedal can get stuck down without mat interference.

first they say is the mats, now is the throttle, whats next....major lawsuits coming..

My Ride
    1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon

Hey, it's the responsible thing to do.

I know lots of GM owners that are now going on a rampage because "Toyota has been making faulty vehicles for years!"

It's one part. It's probably the SAME part across vehicles, too. Issuing a recall and making sure that nobody else buys an affected vehicle is the responsible thing to do.
    keegan
    - 1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon

My Ride
    Bicycle

Interesting update....

Toyota has confirmed to us that the Camry Hybrid and Highlander Hybrid are not included in the sales suspension. Toyota has also reiterated that no Lexus or Scion models are included as these cars are built in Japan.
    Sounds like a supply chain issue for NA made Toyotas.

So the ES350 that started the whole mess is floor mats only?

My Ride
    oooo

they have been some fatalities due to this....

but now they are saying it isn't mechanical but electronic as it is a drive by wire system
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Ram

sweet more sales for honda

My Ride
    EP3

Seems they had to legally do it.

Toyota has quite the PR nightmare on its hands. The boiling cauldron of complaints surrounding unintended acceleration issues bubbled over this month with two separate but giant recalls. The latest involves eight Toyota models that contain defective accelerator pedal mechanisms that could stick over time due to wear.

There is no fix available for the pedal mechanisms yet and dealers have continued to sell new models affected by the recall, so Toyota announced yesterday that it's suspending the sale and production of these eight models for the week of February 1. It was a bold move that made headlines, as Toyota stands to lose a lot of money. On the other hand, the Japanese automaker got some pats on the back for doing the right thing.

Turns out, the decision to stop producing these vehicles wasn't made by Toyota alone. The Detroit News reports that Toyota is required by law to stop selling the vehicles since there is no fix available yet. David Strickland, the new administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said that Toyota consulted with his agency, which informed the automaker of its obligations and it complied. That still doesn't answer why these recalled vehicles were being sold five days after the recall was announced.

Nevertheless, Toyota spokesman Mike Michels is reported saying that the company's decision to stop selling the recalled vehicles was voluntary, but that they also had a legal requirement to do so. How do you voluntary do something that you're obligated to do?

In related news, General Motors has confirmed to Autoblog's sister site, AOL Autos, that it is putting a hold on all remaining Pontiac Vibe sales, as the model is under recall for the same throttle issue that afflicts its mechanical twin, the Toyota Matrix. Fortunately for GM, there are apparently only six Vibe units left in stock nationwide as the brand's shutdown continues.

source: autoblog

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast