Quantcast
rent to pet owner? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: rent to pet owner?

Default rent to pet owner?

Hello all;

Can I ask pet charge if I rent my property to pet owner?

is it legal in Alberta to get extra security deposit for Pet damage and small portion money ( 20 $ per /pet every month) ?

thanks

My Ride
    CBR 929

I think it is okay... most pet owners are just grateful for anywhere to rent that allows pets.

[url]

My Ride
    335i

Yes you can charge a one time pet deposit, but my advice is to avoid it. You will regret it after they leave.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    You will regret it after they leave.
    Unless you follow the whole laminate trend. I know a lot of rental investors, first things they do is (or hire) rip up ALL carpeting, and replace them with tiles, hardwood/laminate, vinyl, etc...

Pets would broaden your customer base. And some pet owners do wreck it for others too though.

you can charge more security deposit, but i dunno about the monthly charge

Yes you can charge a one time pet deposit, but my advice is to avoid it. You will regret it after they leave.

Hi Weapon_R, Could you explain why I would regret after they leave?

thanks

My Ride
    ACS 328is

im a pet owner.

if u have burber carpet, chances are the dog will rip it out.

dogs puke quite often. and itll seeps into the carpet, the dog will keep scratching at the carpet, unless the owner puts deoderizer on it and cleans it up good.

but then again, why would the owner care so much? hes renting the place anyway. he'll clean it up before he leaves your place for good so that nothings too obvious.

dogs also pee/poo, accidents happen even if the dog is trained to go outside. also, hardwood will get damaged if pee isnt cleaned up right away.

I agree, laminate(cheapest option) or tile is a good way to protect the floors of your house from pets. All dogs will scratch the hardwood. my dog (20 lbs bichon) only scratches the wood if he runs like a speeding bullet and does a sudden stop where he digs his nails into the hardwood.

it really depends how big the dog is. anythign under 20 lbs wont really hurt your hardwood flooring. just minor scratches here and there.

my dog also scratches the door when someones there or if im leaving. Or if the dogs not trained, he'll chew on basically anything. i know my dog licked my wall where there was a pin hole size in the wall, this made him lick the hole into a 2x2 inch hole instead cuz the walls made out of chalky material. He also chewed off a section of the door frame. 2inch x 2 inch.

theres a lot to consider when renting it out to a pet owner.

if they have a cat, the cat will probably scratch at the furnitures. they wont pee/poo everywhere like a dog.

good luck!
    www.projecttechnik.com

Originally posted by DC328is
    im a pet owner.

if u have burber carpet, chances are the dog will rip it out.

dogs puke quite often. and itll seeps into the carpet, the dog will keep scratching at the carpet, unless the owner puts deoderizer on it and cleans it up good.

but then again, why would the owner care so much? hes renting the place anyway. he'll clean it up before he leaves your place for good so that nothings too obvious.

dogs also pee/poo, accidents happen even if the dog is trained to go outside. also, hardwood will get damaged if pee isnt cleaned up right away.

I agree, laminate(cheapest option) or tile is a good way to protect the floors of your house from pets. All dogs will scratch the hardwood. my dog (20 lbs bichon) only scratches the wood if he runs like a speeding bullet and does a sudden stop where he digs his nails into the hardwood.

it really depends how big the dog is. anythign under 20 lbs wont really hurt your hardwood flooring. just minor scratches here and there.

my dog also scratches the door when someones there or if im leaving. Or if the dogs not trained, he'll chew on basically anything. i know my dog licked my wall where there was a pin hole size in the wall, this made him lick the hole into a 2x2 inch hole instead cuz the walls made out of chalky material. He also chewed off a section of the door frame. 2inch x 2 inch.

theres a lot to consider when renting it out to a pet owner.

if they have a cat, the cat will probably scratch at the furnitures. they wont pee/poo everywhere like a dog.

good luck!

I don't know what kind of Dog you have or trained but after having several dogs I can tell you that it is ALL in the training. Something is wrong if your dog is vomitting all the time and shitting all over the house.

About the laminate, the puncture strength of laminate is supposed to be like 1000lbs/square inch. I really don't think that the a dog will scratch it...

From the pet renters that I have dealt with they are always more than responsible with there animals./

My Ride
    POS

You can charge whatever amount you want as long as someone is willing to pay for it and an agreement is made in contract. There is no rules saying you can only charge this much $$ for XXX sq ft for X amount of people and pets. I would say book an appointment with them to see their pets first hand and take a picture of them if you let them rent so that their little chihuahua doesn't turn into a huge 200lb beast down the road.

My Ride
    08 JK, 09 Thruxton 900

Security deposit can only be a maximum of one month's rent. You can't boost it up for pet owners, smokers, kids, etc.
    Originally posted by syeve

Oh man, you must be some type of genious...

Originally posted by DRKM
    From the pet renters that I have dealt with they are always more than responsible with there animals./
    All rental units I visited that were rented out to pet owners were pretty much destroyed :\

From what I have seen when looking for places, most places that allow pets charge 50% of the damage deposit ontop of the normal damage deposit per pet. So if dd is $1000, for someone with only 1 pet it would be $1500, for 2 pets $2000. This is a 1 time fee though, so far as I have found you cannot charge X amount per month per pet.

The money you charge for the pet fee is non-refundable, you do not have to give it back, it is basically saying, you have an animal and its going to cause more than normal wear and tear on the premises.

Hands down the most important aspect of renting to someone with a pet is making sure you are comfortable with the animal living in a house you own.

Make sure when they come to look at the place they bring the pet so you can meet it etc. If you don't feel comfortable with it or you get a bad feeling then don't rent the place to them.

This is my understanding from looking at places for myself and for my gf, and through discussions with landlords.

Also an FYI, my gf's current place only has shitty laminate hardwood, and she has a 90lb puppy, so far there are no scratches in the laminate and she has been there 9 months.

But I definitely agree with getting rid of atleast most of the carpet in the place if you are considering it.

Originally posted by DRKM

I don't know what kind of Dog you have or trained but after having several dogs I can tell you that it is ALL in the training. Something is wrong if your dog is vomitting all the time and shitting all over the house.
    Thank you. I was like well, his dog is obviously not trained. Like you said, it's all about the training. Our dog does not scratch at the carpet, he lets us know when he wants to go outside to do his business, when he comes back in he waits on the mat for his feet to dry, then only moves when we tell him. Hasn't had an accident since he was a puppy.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by slcchyd

Hi Weapon_R, Could you explain why I would regret after they leave?

thanks
    In my experience, pets will leave your carpets ruined. Consider your carpets pretty much destroy destroyed, and a lot of wear on walls and hardwood flooring. In one of the condos I own, I charge a non-refundable pet deposit and permit the pets but I also change the carpet about once every second year with that deposit because of how bad it looks. Shampooing helps but eventually it does have to be changed. Since it's a small area, my deposit usually covers my expenses in changing the carpet.

I will tell you this - it never fails, the carpet nearly always needs to be changed after a couple years. Even if the pet is completely house trained, they leave an odor in the fabric and bring dirt and mud into the home after they come inside. There is nothing wrong with pets (I am one myself) but keep this in mind if you rent a relatively nice place to petowners.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

thank you for those very kind replies on my question.

The main takeaway for me could be:

1) it's ok to rent property to pet owners
    2) it nessary to get unrefunabel pet charge in case of carpet demages etc

Let me picture a situation:

A pet owner has two big dogs and one cat. Monthly rent fee is $1500 I can get unrefunable pet charge $2250+ security deposit $1500 (refundable) . Is it reasonable?

I am a fresh-landlord and would appreciate your opinions about this.

Thank you in advance

jesus two big dogs and a cat.

I have rented for a few years with the cat and the worst is that he throws up sometimes (hairballs) but is usually pretty good. We took really god care of our place. I dont think it is enough to be disallowed rent. Two big dogs though.....

Two dogs and a cat, surprised if your neighbours dont complain about that.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's not worth it to rent to pet owners. 2 big dogs and a cat = total destruction. Unless you are planning a full reno after they leaves, I would say no.

Depends on how well the dogs are trained..

Kids IMO are alot more destructive than animals. What you really need to do is have some solid contracts , and also do maybe a condo check every 3 months? Just to see the place is in proper order.

And make them sign an agreement that they must use a professional cleaning company (with receipt) before they can get a damage deposit returned.

Hmmm what else .. Take ALOT and i mean alot of pictures of the place when its empty.. Give them a copy of them , make them sign off on them saying thats how they received the condo , and thats the condition it must be returned in.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Depends on the kind of pet as well. Some pets shed less than others, and of course, size is also factor. I have a pug who sheds like crazy, but I bought a roomba (greatest cleaning tool ever.)

There is nothing wrong with pets (I am one myself)
    You're a good boy, Weapon_R.