Quantcast
Where are the best deals for decent quality countertops? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Where are the best deals for decent quality countertops?

Default Where are the best deals for decent quality countertops?

Just starting the hunt and all I have been to are the huge chain places such as Home Depot, Rona etc, but I am sure there must be better places to go and people to see about getting some quality countertops done...

Looking for a surface such as granite, quartz, etc that looks nice and takes high heat so I don't have to look for a place to lay down a hot pot or pan while cooking. There is this interesting recycled countertop material made out of recycled broken glass and materials out there that seems kind of cool, but so far I haven't been able to get anyone who can give me any kind of remote idea of cost per square foot.

http://www.vetrazzo.com/products_palette.html

I know I am going to have to find the time to go into some places and do my research, but I figured I will start the lazy man way and see if we can find some beyond peeps with some experience in the area and go from there...

Cheers!
    Last edited by tirebob; 01-28-2010 at 11:18 AM.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Call pacific stone. Ask for Laurie, tell her I sent you

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

I seen the other day many people 'in the know' are removing granite tops, because of the radiation they give off.. They aren't supposed to be too great for you. The larger they are, the worse... Said something about limiting yourself to being around them to under 4 hrs a day..

My Ride
    Treg/B7

I think the above is false. Studies have shown that the radiation produced by granite is much less than the backround radiation we are already exposed to everday. For example, radiation that comes from the earth and the sun.

http://safegranite.blogspot.com

My Ride
    gtyh

Default Re: Where are the best deals for decent quality countertops?

Originally posted by tirebob
    Just starting the hunt and all I have been to are the huge chain places such as Home Depot, Rona etc, but I am sure there must be better places to go and people to see about getting some quality countertops done...

Looking for a surface such as granite, quartz, etc that looks nice and takes high heat so I don't have to look for a place to lay down a hot pot or pan while cooking. There is this interesting recycled countertop material made out of recycled broken glass and materials out there that seems kind of cool, but so far I haven't been able to get anyone who can give me any kind of remote idea of cost per square foot.

http://www.vetrazzo.com/products_palette.html

I know I am going to have to find the time to go into some places and do my research, but I figured I will start the lazy man way and see if we can find some beyond peeps with some experience in the area and go from there...

Cheers!
    Thank you for the post.
    Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Originally posted by Rarasaurus
    I think the above is false. Studies have shown that the radiation produced by granite is much less than the backround radiation we are already exposed to everday. For example, radiation that comes from the earth and the sun.

http://safegranite.blogspot.com
    I'm a geologist and I have never heard of such a thing. I have heard of radiation in granites, but nothing that would actually impact someones life. I have done studies on detrital zircons and looking at radioactivity for dating purposes, but it is sooo minor that it really won't make a difference. Any radiation emitted would only be in minor trace amount. If you are replacing your granite tops, you might as well throw away your microwave, etc..
    Last edited by Impreza; 02-06-2010 at 02:23 PM.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

"Every time researchers have applied rigorous scientific standards to testing, the results have found that granite countertops pose no risk," Hogan says. "Repeated studies have found that granite is safe. Unfortunately, some recent junk science being reported as fact only serves to panic the public, not inform it."
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The urban myth of the week a while ago was that the entire Petro-Can Centre (now Suncor) was made of the radioactive rock, and it was giving significantly higher rates of illness.
    All bullshit of course.

Buy countertops that suit your home and lifestyle, and don't worry about these fairy tales.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

The recycled glass stuff is pretty cool. We were considering it too but the price is up there.

These guys carry it in Calgary. http://www.iconstonetile.com/

Originally posted by D. Dub
    The recycled glass stuff is pretty cool. We were considering it too but the price is up there.

These guys carry it in Calgary. http://www.iconstonetile.com/
    Yeah I checked those guys out and at $300.00 "ish" per aquare fot I am thinking granite or quartz is what it will be at this point. Too bad though. that recycled glass is pretty cool for sure!

Classic looks are always better for resale anyways.

That crazy expensive countertop may make your house sit for an extra month or two if you decide to sell. Concrete countertops are like that too -- they are really cool looking and functional -- but it seems many women hate them -- and they are a liability when selling the home.

My Ride
    changes every year

^^^icon is who im getting my granite with thats going in my new house. its expensive but worth it. its about 90 bucks sqf i think.

My parents shopped around for months and ended up going with Victory Granite. Extremely nice people, and an amazing job. Several contractors have since commented on how well the seam was done as well - you can't even see it unless you're searching for it. Most importantly, they were half the price of other quotes for the identical granite, and completed the job with 1 less seam than other (more expensive) companies quoted. I highly recommend you check them out.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by D. Dub

That crazy expensive countertop may make your house sit for an extra month or two if you decide to sell. Concrete countertops are like that too -- they are really cool looking and functional -- but it seems many women hate them -- and they are a liability when selling the home.

I would love a under lit glass counter top in my place. But the price is crazy.

Too bad people in Calgary have such archaic tastes.

Last edited by revelations; 02-10-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Originally posted by revelations

I would love a under lit glass counter top in my place. But the price is crazy.

Too bad people in Calgary have such archaic tastes.

Wow!

What are we looking at for pricing?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Probably not much different than the recycled glass.... 300$ sq ft

Dauter Stone -- they use 3" thick Granite Slabs and as such are significantly stronger than most, including those provided at Pacific unless specifically ordered.

Some of the best prices for top quality granite (most places get the same thing from the same places, but finishing is a different story)

My uncle did his kitchen w/ island, and two bathrooms for under 5k

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    Dauter Stone -- they use 3" thick Granite Slabs and as such are significantly stronger than most, including those provided at Pacific unless specifically ordered.

Some of the best prices for top quality granite (most places get the same thing from the same places, but finishing is a different story)

My uncle did his kitchen w/ island, and two bathrooms for under 5k
    No one uses 3" granite. You can go with 3/4" (plus another layer of 3/4 plywood) and the edges doubles up. Or you can go with 1 1/2" granite...its actually a little less...about 1 1/4".

My Ride
    Taco

Originally posted by JordanLotoski
    Call pacific stone. Ask for Laurie, tell her I sent you
    This is where I got my granite. The best part is they have it all in stock so you can actually view beofre you buy. They also did a great job with install.

I agree which is why I just opted for a concrete kitchen table, so I can take it with me. If you like concrete design I loved Justins work.
    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...URWK2LJlKroLWQ
    Last edited by B20EF; 02-18-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    My parents shopped around for months and ended up going with Victory Granite. Extremely nice people, and an amazing job. Several contractors have since commented on how well the seam was done as well - you can't even see it unless you're searching for it. Most importantly, they were half the price of other quotes for the identical granite, and completed the job with 1 less seam than other (more expensive) companies quoted. I highly recommend you check them out.
    I can vouch for this. I've seen this particular job. Beautiful product and excellent install job. I would take Mitsu's suggestions and check them out.

Also...when you're comparing prices from one company to another..you have to compare the EXACT same stone. One granite can be $60/sq ft while another can be $120 from the same company. So to say "so-and-so" did my granite countertops for "X" amount of dollars, doesn't really mean anything. It's like saying "I bought a car for $20,000" without saying what make or model.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 02-18-2010 at 07:20 PM.