Quantcast
Battle to Unlock Housing Market - RE Agents Watch Out - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle to Unlock Housing Market - RE Agents Watch Out

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default Battle to Unlock Housing Market - RE Agents Watch Out

So realestate agents don't want to share their monopoly on real estate via MLS. big surprise.

Maybe something will come of this. Sites like Zillow.com sound pretty damn useful.

Coles:

In the U.S., you can find and bid on a house using an iPhone. So why is it that in Canada, much of the information prospective home owners need is a tightly held secret, unlocked only by real estate agents?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1450088/

ne day in 2002, a self-professed computer nerd named Glenn Kelman scratched his head. Why was it, he wondered, that he could get more information about a $20 book for sale at Amazon.com than he could for a $500,000 home listed on the national Multiple Listing Service?

Later that year, Mr. Kelman founded Redfin.com. He describes the site as a cross between Century 21 and E*Trade. A more pointed description would be to call Seattle-based Redfin a dart aimed at the heart of the real estate industry. Internet-savvy companies like Redfin are breaking MLS's lock on listings data, which the industry uses to ensure that consumers buy and sell houses the traditional way: through real estate agents who are paid hefty commissions.

The move hasn't endeared Redfin to the real estate industry.

“I get death threats,” Mr. Kelman says. “I gave the finger to an industry that only exists to charge a commission on the most important buying decision you'll ever make. We save people money by automating most of the process.”

The battle to free real estate data is well advanced in the United States. Now, it is coming to a head in Canada as the technological attack on the old order is bolstered by both industry rebels and government: The federal Competition Bureau accuses the industry of dampening competition and consumer choice. To consumers whose houses often sell in a few days – but still net agents tens of thousands of dollars in commissions – Canada's real estate boom has made MLS's monopoly on information seem all the more anachronistic.

[/b]Like sectors such as travel and retailing before it, the multibillion-dollar Canadian real estate industry is finally facing a reckoning with the Internet's power to make data free and open.[b]

The watchdog intervenes

“There is a lack of information and a lack of transparency in this industry that simply does not exist in any other industry,” says Bill McMullin, an industry dissident who owns Halifax-based ViewPoint Realty. “The real estate industry may be uncomfortable with this, but once you automate a lot of that data, you circumvent the need for a realtor. Things are changing, and they are changing quickly.”

In 2009, 465,251 homes changed hands on the Realtor.ca system, at an average price of $320,333. Owned by the Canadian Real Estate Association, the database amasses listings from Canada's 101 local real estate boards. Only registered real estate professionals can obtain key data such as selling prices, and only they may use the site to connect buyers and sellers.

CREA tightened its access policy in 2007, after rival real estate websites such as Toronto-based Housing123.com emerged. The interlopers downloaded data from MLS and enhanced it to draw consumers to their own services.

But the clampdown backfired, catching the attention of the federal Competition Bureau, which told the CREA that its rules “restricted consumer choice and limited the scope of alternative business models.” The bureau questions whether consumers should continue to be forced to employ a registered real estate agent to represent them throughout the entire listing and sale process on MLS, including the shepherding of all offers and counteroffers.

In a letter written last October, CREA said it hoped to resolve its differences with the Competition Bureau by Christmas. The bureau says it is willing to wait for a negotiated settlement, but it will move unilaterally if necessary. CREA says it needs more time to figure out what to do next.

“We've had a number of meetings with the bureau and are trying very hard to understand their concerns and come to a mutually acceptable solution,” says Katherine Kay, outside counsel for CREA.

Any resolution is apt to erode real estate agents' traditional gatekeeper status. One possible resolution would allow a seller's name and address to appear on a listing so they can be contacted directly by potential buyers. A bigger step would be to allow homeowners to list their homes on MLS for a small fee, then negotiate the sale of their homes without the help of an agent. As the process becomes commodified, consumers stand to benefit in lower transaction costs.

The American Way

The transformation of the real estate industry in the United States was spurred by a 2007 Department of Justice order to relax restrictions on how brokers could use MLS information. The change seeded dozens of companies that created feature-rich websites offering à la carte services as an alternative to the traditional commissioned agent.

House hunters can find and bid on a home using one of dozens of Web-based applications. A single map can show which houses are for sale, the area's crime rate, average test scores at the local elementary school and the location of the nearest Starbucks.

At Zillow.com – created by the founders of travel site Expedia.com – consumers are flooded with information. Not only do they see a home's complete sales history and average tax bill, they can find out the assessed value of each house on the street and other neighbourhood information, such as how many married couples live on the block.

At Mr. Kelman's Redfin, commissioned agents are replaced with salaried (and registered) agents. Consumers are expected to do most of their own legwork, and to deal with an agent only if they hit a roadblock.

“Our agents aren't paid to make it rain,” Mr. Kelman says. “They are paid to serve the customers who want to be served. Ninety per cent of the cost of real estate is finding customers, and the Web can do that for us.”

While Redfin does charge commission – about 3 per cent – it gives half of the payment back to the customer when a deal closes. Thus the average cost on a $500,000 sale is $7,500, compared to a traditional commission of $25,000.

Mr. Kelman says his privately-held company posted its first monthly profit in June and is generating $20-million (U.S.) of revenue a year.

While American consumers are using their phones to scope out houses they drive by, the best Canadians can hope for is CREA's low-tech mobile website, which provides the phone number of the relevant agent for a property. And that only works if you know the property's six-digit Multiple Listing Service number, which someone whizzing past in a car would not. A more feature-rich version is expected to be in place by summer.

Consumers can get selling prices, room measurements and a couple of snapshots for a property on the official industry portal, Realtor.ca. But the most valuable market intelligence – such as what the property sold for in the past, and recent sale prices in the neighbourhood – is kept out of the consumer's reach, forcing prospective home buyers to call an agent. CREA and its affiliates are strict about keeping it that way: Even agents who simply want to repackage such real estate data online into more user-friendly formats as a marketing tool have found themselves slapped down by local real estate boards.

Paul Darrow for the Globe and Mail

Bill McMullin of Viewpoint Realty in Bedford, N.S.

The Canadian Roadblock

The real estate industry's lock on information is one reason why the process of buying and selling a home in Canada has changed little since online real estate listings began in 1996, even as other customer-service-intensive industries such as travel and tourism have seen radical technological transformations. An estimated 90 per cent of all home sales in Canada are still done in the traditional manner.

If the Competition Bureau gets its way, consumers would be able to pay a flat fee to an agent to have their home listed, and then choose how involved the agent would be through the rest of the process.

But even before the CREA settles with the Competition Bureau, some smaller brokers are brazenly defying local real estate associations by providing consumers with richer data than the associations allow.

Mr. McMullin, of Halifax's ViewPoint Realty, has spent close to $1-million on the company's feature-rich website – he's downloaded all of his region's listings onto his server, and then enhanced them with previous sale prices and maps. The service far surpasses what's available on realtor.ca, and he's counting on it to win him customers in a competitive market.

He's navigating tricky territory – in the past several years, local real estate boards have shut down several brokers who have attempted to repackage data without permission. The industry won a key court ruling in Ontario in December against Toronto-based realtysellers.com. The judge said the upstart company's use of data violated the standard agreement between brokers and real estate boards. He added that he wouldn't speculate on whether the industry engages in anti-competitive behaviour by keeping its own members from using the data as they wish.

Lawyer Lawrence Dale, who represented realtysellers.com, said the judge's decision effectively established that the industry's rules are restrictive. “In the United States, the government found that these identical rules were anti-competitive and the Department of Justice had them removed,” he said following the decision.

In another new model distinct from the likes of realtysellers.com, Ottawa's Ziglu Real Estate Brokerage employs traditional real estate agents, but charges a flat fee to get someone's listing on MLS. The agents then take a barebones approach to the process, leaving the consumers to do the bulk of the legwork.

Ziglu charges half the commission of most realtors, and the company plans on dropping it altogether if the Competition Bureau gives consumers more access to MLS.

“We're obviously counting on the bureau to come through and allow people to order specific real estate services in the same way they'd order a pizza,” says Ziglu's founder, Gilles Ménard. “Right now we still have to represent the seller through the process, but we're expecting changes. Our whole business model is based on high volumes and low prices.”

A market too small?

There's a good reason the Canadian industry is fighting to keep its listings system exclusive, says Phil Soper, chief executive officer of Brookfield Real Estate Services, a subsidiary of Brookfield Asset Management Inc. that owns real estate brokerages Royal LePage Real Estate Services Ltd. in Canada and Real Living Real Estate LLP in the United States.

With a great database comes great responsibility, he says. An advantage of the traditional system is that anyone using MLS has an agent to help them through what can be a confusing process.

“Most of that information needs to be taken in the proper context and protected from mistakes,” he says. “With a central system, you are protecting the customer's listing – it is in the hands of people who constantly update their skills.

“Anyone who suggests that somehow organized real estate is protectionist, and created a model that others can't make a living at by charging lower fees, is saying something completely false,” he adds. “The problem is they can't attract high-performance salespeople and still make a buck – the best agents will make the best money and want to work where that is possible. The only reason someone would compete on price is because they can't compete on service.”

As well, there's a reason a high-traffic site such as Redfin has only just turned its first profit – there is little money to made offering cut-rate services. The model may not work in a market as small as Canada's, according to Mr. Soper.

“You look at something like Zillow and it can function with 0.2 per cent market share,” he says. “In Canada, you can't keep your doors open with numbers like that. It's like that in all our industries – we have a handful of real estate companies, a handful of banks. That's because just to exist, you need a pretty big chunk of market share.”

The upstarts disagree – and are anxiously watching the Competition Board for clarity on which services they can offer. Redfin considered entering Canada last year, Mr. Kelman says, but decided to wait until the regulatory issues were resolved. Meanwhile, Mr. McMullin wants to sell his tech services to the big brokerages, and Ziglu expects a crush of customers the minute it can start to hive off portions of a transaction.

Most people in the industry realize they are losing their monopoly on information. Royallepage.ca, long a leading real estate site in Canada, has fallen behind a site that only dabbles in listings – kijiji.ca, a free online classified service similar to Craigslist.

“Some in my industry feel that it will be a disaster if and when the rules change,” Mr. Soper says. “Yet as we debate, Kijiji grows in popularity. That doesn't mean the world doesn't need realtors – it means the world needs better agents who are trustworthy and knowledgeable and can walk them through what is usually one of the most financially significant transactions of their lives.”
    Last edited by broken_legs; 01-30-2010 at 01:22 AM.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

While I await for replies from Real Estate Agents, I'm gonna get some popcorn.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I can't walk into Costco to buy a Honda Civic. It will be years before we can get rid of salemen and RE agents.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I can't walk into Costco to buy a Honda Civic. It will be years before we can get rid of salemen and RE agents.
    The death of the middleman is an inevitable certainty. It’s only a matter of time. The new generation being born now will have no reason to ever shop for anything offline. That means there is still another 20-30 years to go before we fully evolve to that point.
    /crystalball off

I think the need for the salesman/RE agent will eventually dissapear. With the conception of the internet, people are becoming more aware of their purchases. They are doing more research and looking at actual consumer reviews. People now adays, tend to have their mind made up and simply point and say box it up if its for this price.

I think the realest business is going to follow suit. When i am spending $300k, i am going to be a well informed consumer. I will spend countless hours doing research to make sure i make a fitting purchase. I dont need someone that has their interest in their own pockets tell me how to spend my money.

I dont knock them for trying to make a living but with the evolution of the way we share information, they are simply becoming obsolete.

PS. There was no RE present on both sides of my purchasing my house.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by BigMass

The death of the middleman is an inevitable certainty. It’s only a matter of time. The new generation being born now will have no reason to ever shop for anything offline. That means there is still another 20-30 years to go before we fully evolve to that point.
    /crystalball off
    Respectfully disagree. Many people, myself included, will continue to shop for some things in person for many reasons including:

1. Time: I just don't have enough of it to sit down and research every item I want to buy on the internet. Even if I do, the amount of information can be overwhelming and difficult to navigate.

2. Expertise: I would rather go to a showroom or retailer and ask the specific questions I have to someone who presumably knows the answers and can provide insight. Maybe I don't really want/need what I think I do and there is another product that is better suited/priced to suit my needs. The internet usually doesn't tell you that.

3. Interaction: Some prefer to buy from a person rather than online based strictly on the relationship factor. I would rather buy a car from Kasem or Ryan directly, even if I know it'll cost me a few grand extra in commission, than off the internet. Apply that to real estate and the feeling is exponential.

4. Risk: I'm not referring to secure websites and credit card info, rather to the risk of buying a product online and having it dealt with if there's a problem. Returning to a store and dealing with it face-to-face with someone behind a counter is often less risky and cheaper than having to potentially package it back up, ship it (usually at your cost), and then potentially wait weeks to get it back either repaired or replaced. Compare that to going back to the retailer with the original and leaving with either a replacement or your money back in just a few minutes.

Point 1 and 2 are based on the assumption that your dealing with a honest salesman. Ive ran into way to many full of shit commision whores that are just trying to make a buck.

After going in and calling bullshit on 99% of the people that will try and sell me goods, i have chosen to source goods myself.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

This will be interesting on the outcome

#1 - the competition bureau cannot force CREA to make changes with the MLS as the MLS is a private system owned by CREA and licensed to the respective real estate boards. Each of those boards are designed as associations with user fees, rules and regulations not unlike many other associations in other industry/fields. The MLS was origionally designed to make work easier for realtors.

There is no-one stopping anyone else from starting up another website/search engine for homes, however there is a fine line with respect to copying information off the MLS to use your own website for profit - subject to copyright laws (gray area as this is the internet)

There is HUGE Liability and Credibility involved with the MLS.
    All the information is always checked and made sure it is correct (if the sq/ft is wrong there can be huge law suits - CREA has provisions in place to mediate any altercation between buyer, seller and realtor of both the listing and buying side)

We are given strict rules to follow when measuring up a place (so every place is measured the same), as well as very strict rules and regulations on how we represent and follow the real estate act.

Yes there are always some tough ones to deal with (some shady) which does tarnish our industry but that is the case in every industry. Worse in the used auto sales.

If a new way to purchase homes appear, what happens if the sq/ft is reported wrong? who is liable? Seller? website?

What if you bought a car that was advertised to have a/c - button was there and everything looked good,.. after you bought it and a hot day appeared; go to switch the a/c and it doesn't work. You inspect and the a/c compressor isn't even there. - Who is responsible?

You for not going under the hood, and looking underneath the alternator, beside the bottom of the rad hidden by various plastic panels to see?

Is it mis-representation? Can the seller now be sued for it? Was there a third party involved to make sure all the information was correct and reported to association standards.

Purchasing a home without representation is a risk you must be willing to take, but also keep in mind there are not many guidelines and systems in-place to protect both the seller or buyer if something goes wrong.
    Was the sq/ft recorded properly, etc,..etc,..etc,...

It will be even harder for the Feds to make changes as the industry is producing a large tax income for them.

over 100,000 realtors in Canada - each of them pay tax. What would happen if they become obsolete and there is only 1/3 left? Huge loss in Fed revenue, greater numbers unemployed?

100's of deals happen everyday in canada, income is produced through all faucets of the industry, not just realtors and the respective brokerages. Home inspectors, insurance companies, lawyers, couriers, commercial office space, advertising agencies and all respective outlets to advertising,.. and so on and so on. The money trickles down very well right down to the food we eat and the grocery store we buy from.

Better nuke another bag of popcorn,.. this may take a while
    Last edited by barmanjay; 01-30-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    Vmax

We conditionally sold my parents house in Edmonton 2 weeks ago off Kijijji. Cost of about 45$+ 500.00$ in fees from a lawyer.

We wanted to test the water with out getting MLS history.

Sold for 5k less than 3 agents said list it for.

Not dissing agents as it will be listed in April with one if the deal dies.

If it does end up selling I will be amazed how easy it was.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

^^There are always going to be examples where not using an agent will work, and for some people it does.

But for MOST people, who don't understand contract law, or what to look for in real estate, or access to whatever, having a real estate agent on your side is best.

for MOST people, letting a realtor do your leg work for you is worth quite a bit, for others, they are plain ignorant or just too damn stupid to do it on their own.

sometimes all it takes is putting a house on kijiji or whatever and everything falls into place with no hic-ups or difficulties. But when shit hits the fan, personally, having a realtor there who have gone through the process hundreds of times, and knows what to look for, is worth their commission.

There are 1000's of reasons not to use a realtor, and 1000's more to use one.

But everything else aside, it is your choice to use a realtor or not, but does this bitch fest have to keep popping up every month?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2009 STi

Originally posted by barmanjay
    This will be interesting on the outcome

#1 - the competition bureau cannot force CREA to make changes with the MLS as the MLS is a private system owned by CREA and licensed to the respective real estate boards. Each of those boards are designed as associations with user fees, rules and regulations not unlike many other associations in other industry/fields. The MLS was origionally designed to make work easier for realtors.

There is no-one stopping anyone else from starting up another website/search engine for homes, however there is a fine line with respect to copying information off the MLS to use your own website for profit - subject to copyright laws (gray area as this is the internet)

There is HUGE Liability and Credibility involved with the MLS.
    All the information is always checked and made sure it is correct (if the sq/ft is wrong there can be huge law suits - CREA has provisions in place to mediate any altercation between buyer, seller and realtor of both the listing and buying side)

We are given strict rules to follow when measuring up a place (so every place is measured the same), as well as very strict rules and regulations on how we represent and follow the real estate act.

Yes there are always some tough ones to deal with (some shady) which does tarnish our industry but that is the case in every industry. Worse in the used auto sales.

If a new way to purchase homes appear, what happens if the sq/ft is reported wrong? who is liable? Seller? website?

What if you bought a car that was advertised to have a/c - button was there and everything looked good,.. after you bought it and a hot day appeared; go to switch the a/c and it doesn't work. You inspect and the a/c compressor isn't even there. - Who is responsible?

You for not going under the hood, and looking underneath the alternator, beside the bottom of the rad hidden by various plastic panels to see?

Is it mis-representation? Can the seller now be sued for it? Was there a third party involved to make sure all the information was correct and reported to association standards.

Purchasing a home without representation is a risk you must be willing to take, but also keep in mind there are not many guidelines and systems in-place to protect both the seller or buyer if something goes wrong.
    Was the sq/ft recorded properly, etc,..etc,..etc,...

It will be even harder for the Feds to make changes as the industry is producing a large tax income for them.

over 100,000 realtors in Canada - each of them pay tax. What would happen if they become obsolete and there is only 1/3 left? Huge loss in Fed revenue, greater numbers unemployed?

100's of deals happen everyday in canada, income is produced through all faucets of the industry, not just realtors and the respective brokerages. Home inspectors, insurance companies, lawyers, couriers, commercial office space, advertising agencies and all respective outlets to advertising,.. and so on and so on. The money trickles down very well right down to the food we eat and the grocery store we buy from.

Better nuke another bag of popcorn,.. this may take a while
    How do you justify 5% commissions on sales? It's a ridiculous amount of money for really not a lot of work -- especially on the buyer agents side. The fact to that house prices have doubled in a short while, yet the percentages have stayed the same for selling the exact same piece of property?

I think competition is great. It will bring the cost of doing transactions back to the point of being reasonable. It is a monopoly and I'll be glad to see this end.

My Ride
    2014 Mustang GT DIB track pkg 2010 GMC Terrain SLT

Biased realtor chiming in, but I have to make a few comments.

I used to work in sales for 5 years with a reputable company making great money that lots of people on here would kill for. I decided to leave that job and my clients behind, to be able to represent home owners and home buyers of real estate with honest, solid advice and service. I joined this industry to improve the integrity of realtors and spread the word that we aren't all fat cats who do nothing and make lots of money.

The investment that a realtor puts in to join the industry is huge. You have to spend 3 months taking the course without income and also shell out about $7,000 for the education, licensing etc. You have to spend lots of money on advertising, developing the infrastructure to carry out your business, and put in lots of sweat equity of knocking on doors, getting rejected all of the time and dealing with the competition of over 5,000 other realtors. You also have to deal with working odd ball hours and like me, being on call for about 16 hours of the day, 7 days a week.

A lot of realtors do make really good money, but the reason they do is because they have invested the time, money and sweat equity to build up their client base and develop a solid business. Most realtors including myself have college and university education as well just like a lot of you folks.

The last comment I will make is that the reward equals the risk, and that isn't even always the case. I could've kept showing up at my old job every day collecting my fat pay checks, but I didn't want that lifestyle any longer. Instead, I had to convince my wife to trust me that I would make this new business venture a success, which is why I have bet the farm so to speak and all that we have worked hard for in our lives to be in this industry.

Comment away folks!

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Ideallying in a perfectly competitive economy, RE agents would only get paid a % of what they could make over that of the average market listing for a similar home. Then you'll see some real effort for getting more then the average listed price.

Otherwise, if your house is only going to sell for the average listing price anyways, why would you want to have a RE agent take a slice without providing any "benefit" in terms of maximizing sale price?

I'd be willing to pay a higher % for commission if my RE agent got more then the average price. Heck I'd even go 50/50 on anything over market value!

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Originally posted by tulit

How do you justify 5% commissions on sales? It's a ridiculous amount of money for really not a lot of work -- especially on the buyer agents side. The fact to that house prices have doubled in a short while, yet the percentages have stayed the same for selling the exact same piece of property?

I think competition is great. It will bring the cost of doing transactions back to the point of being reasonable. It is a monopoly and I'll be glad to see this end.

Wow

I do believe you are out of touch. The buyers agent (if you pick the right one) does LOADS of work for their client

5% commission across the board? I wish it was that

keep in mind, cost of living has increased too.

ie: I remember in 01 gas prices being $0.57/ltr, $200 would feed my family for a month, renting a 5 bedroom house cost $800.

Now premium is over $1/ltr, costs me over $600/month to feed my family and if you wanted to rent a 5 bedroom house, you are looking in the ballpark of $1600/month

Did you know that over 31% of the realtors in calgary made less than $20,000 gross last year?

I do welcome other forms of media for selling houses (can also help me sell places aswell - I do use other forms of advertising already)

Yearly fees are not cheap to be a realtor (costs us $1000's a year in combined RECA/AREA/CREB/local brokerage fees/MLS user fees and the list goes on)

I would also like to mention - using a buyers agent basically costs you nothing. The seller and selling agent have already signed a listing contract with a set commission rate which is absorbed into the list price. Part of that commission is paid to the buyers agent.

Again,.. I do welcome other forms of media,.. however I also do believe that the feds should leave the mls system alone as it is a private system

I also welcome people to try and sell their places on their own.

Did you know that over 90% of the FSBO's (for sale by owners) end up using an agent in the end anyways

fyi: the mls is not called that anymore: www.realtor.ca

I'm not going to argue whether you should use a realtor or not to buy or sell.

I will ask you this - if you were going through a fairly complicated divorce where there are good chances of things that can go very upside-down,.. would you:
    represent yourself?
    or would you have someone next to you who is experienced to help you through and give you solid advice on the things you should do through-out the process to lessen the chances of any hiccups happening?

Ultimately the choice is yours anyways.
    Last edited by barmanjay; 01-31-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    2009 STi

Originally posted by msouther

The investment that a realtor puts in to join the industry is huge. You have to spend 3 months taking the course without income and also shell out about $7,000 for the education, licensing etc.
    Not to be snarky, but that would be equivalent to like what? One semester someone would take at University? I'm not sure how 3 months of education and a semesters tuition is a huge sacrifice? Most people spend 4 years in University...

My Ride
    2014 Mustang GT DIB track pkg 2010 GMC Terrain SLT

$7,000 plus the loss of income for 3 months as well. If you worked at McDonalds before joining the industry it wouldn't be much. Most realtors are professionals who have come from a successful background in some other business sector, so the financial loss is substantial.

This debate will go on forever and people will always have mixed opinions of realtors. Before I joined the industry, I thought it was an easy living. After being in it for a little while now, I have realized that things aren't always as they seem. I will be successful in this venture as welll because I carry over the work ethic which has got me to where I am today, not because it is easy money.

I might have to throw some popcorn in the microwave too :-)

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by tulit

Not to be snarky, but that would be equivalent to like what? One semester someone would take at University? I'm not sure how 3 months of education and a semesters tuition is a huge sacrifice? Most people spend 4 years in University...
    none of the realtors i know are living in their parents basement rent free, or using student loans, or using campus facilities.

again, if people dont like realtors and their commssions, don't fucking use one. dont come on a car forum and bitch.

I would like you to come on here and justify your salary.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by spikers

none of the realtors i know are living in their parents basement rent free, or using student loans, or using campus facilities.

again, if people dont like realtors and their commssions, don't fucking use one. dont come on a car forum and bitch.

QFT

people can't keep their uninformed opinions to themselves... this is beyond
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

If people stopped using realtors there would be a cluster fuck of problems. Sellers would be scamming so many more people than they are now.

With the housing boom and so many construction problems, I want a realtor more now that I ever would. It was funny, our realtor had us think of things we never would of thought of. Also he helped us negotiate a huge percentage off our house by being a well informed realtor.

My $0.02, some people will start buying online but someone like me will still use a realtor because of the risks of buying my own house.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by spikers

I agree with you, having an agent to sell a house who specializes in that is a good idea.

Market monopoly and not letting consumers get access to information on the housing market is not.

If this information was wildly available, other competitive agencies could be created. New methods of selling, and most importantly more information would be available.

So are you arguing against easily accessible accurate information for consumers?

Or are you just saying people should stop being cheap and still use realtors, but you also agree that MLS information should be available to everyone?

Or are you saying that the CREA should maintain its monopoly over real estate transactions and consumers should still make decisions in the dark?
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast